Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2015, 03:23 AM   #61
crretin
 
crretin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Into madness: The PCs are fantasy heroes who have suddenly woken up in a bizarre and maddening hellscape of a dungeon with the sounds of a raving lunatic screaming "Kill the voices!!!" over and over again. There are other people who have been taken to this never ending dungeon and have even built communities inside of it. Lord of the rings meets bioshock with a little of the alien movies thrown in.
__________________
Jordan Smith, Dimension hoping hobo: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...&postcount=492

crretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #62
tshiggins
 
tshiggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crretin View Post
wait... it exists already? crap... I thought I was being creative....
Yep, and you were being at least as creative as these guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_a_Deadly_Spell

It wasn't a great movie, but it was a fun one and had some awesome "bits" and cameos. It had a feel a little bit similar to Glen Cook's, "Garret, P.I." books, and that's where I'd go with the idea, myself.

The "twist" ending was fairly amusing, too. :)
__________________
--
MXLP:9 [JD=1, DK=1, DM-M=1, M(FAW)=1, SS=2, Nym=1 (nose coffee), sj=1 (nose cocoa), Maz=1]
"Some days, I just don't know what to think." -Daryl Dixon.

Last edited by tshiggins; 03-17-2015 at 11:11 AM.
tshiggins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #63
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

They come in Peace (Not)
An alien ship has arrived at modern earth via FTL. The aliens it brings have promised peace, technology, and a desire to trade and participate in cultural interchange. Most of the world believes them. There are some funny things, like how well they already know English and earth's current geopolitical situation.

The truly incriminating evidence is that they are secretly landing on earth to talk with leaders of nations hostile to the great powers privately. The PC's are one of the only groups that can track the landings, and are convinced they are up to no good. Its up to them to figure out what the aliens are up to, stop any clandestine alliances, and provide proof of misconduct to the world before its too late.
__________________
Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #64
somecallmetim
 
somecallmetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

I always wanted to run a game where the aliens did come in peace, but they are more or less interested in the Earth the way industrialized nations were interested in the third world in the mid 20th century. They don't want to hurt us necessarily, but they want new markets and sources of raw materials and labor. You'd have the earth pretty much at TL 7, with bits and pieces of TL 10 equipment available, the way you can find a handful of modern consumer goods in use amongst a tribal group otherwise living at TL 2 or 3 on earth. The PCs are just trying adapt and survive the massive cultural change, as the local tech level tries to shoot up 3 or four levels in half a century.
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #65
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I always wanted to run a game where the aliens did come in peace, but they are more or less interested in the Earth the way industrialized nations were interested in the third world in the mid 20th century. They don't want to hurt us necessarily, but they want new markets and sources of raw materials and labor.
The first half, of that as the aliens tried to find their way through the cultural differences to get that idea over, was quite fun. In a pulp campaign, if things are getting slow, have a man arrive with a gun. In a steampunk campaign, have a Martian invasion.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #66
Disliker of the mary sue
 
Disliker of the mary sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

A few games I'd love to set up if I had the social skills to get friends to play and the will to do all the gm work

Henshin Academy: A institution to train magical girls (and boys) power ranger esc teams, and anyone who uses some magic or super science device to become a costumed hero. Your party is a group of students who happen to gravitate to each other for some reason, or maybe your a group of teachers trying to make sure that students don't go rogue and outside enemy forces don't mount an invasion.

A very diverse team: I kind of want a play a game in new world of darkness where a vampire, werewolf, mage, changeling, and the rest of the major supernatural races except Prometheons (since you know the whole they make everyone hate their guts just for existing thing really makes it difficult to justify it's presence.) are all in one party forced to work together for some reason despite the books saying that it a horrible idea all around.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #67
Hans Rancke-Madsen
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
A very diverse team: I kind of want a play a game in new world of darkness where a vampire, werewolf, mage, changeling, and the rest of the major supernatural races except Prometheons (since you know the whole they make everyone hate their guts just for existing thing really makes it difficult to justify it's presence.) are all in one party forced to work together for some reason despite the books saying that it a horrible idea all around.
Reminds me of a D&D con adventure I've been meaning to write for 20 years now, where all the PCs are the same person from different alternate dimensions. Starting stats are the same, but they're all different classes. A fighter, an MU, a thief, a cleric, a bard, perhaps.

(It's going to be a Christmas scenario where Santa's elves collect them all to find out what's happened to their boss. Naturally, there's a deadline...)

The original inspiration came from Keith Laumer's O'Leary books.


Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #68
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
They come in Peace (Not)
An alien ship has arrived at modern earth via FTL. The aliens it brings have promised peace, technology, and a desire to trade and participate in cultural interchange. Most of the world believes them. There are some funny things, like how well they already know English and earth's current geopolitical situation.

The truly incriminating evidence is that they are secretly landing on earth to talk with leaders of nations hostile to the great powers privately. The PC's are one of the only groups that can track the landings, and are convinced they are up to no good. Its up to them to figure out what the aliens are up to, stop any clandestine alliances, and provide proof of misconduct to the world before its too late.
Sounds like the TV series Earth: Final Conflict
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #69
evileeyore
 
evileeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 100 hurricane swamp
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I always wanted to run a game where the aliens did come in peace, but they are more or less interested in the Earth the way industrialized nations were interested in the third world in the mid 20th century. They don't want to hurt us necessarily, but they want new markets and sources of raw materials and labor. You'd have the earth pretty much at TL 7, with bits and pieces of TL 10 equipment available, the way you can find a handful of modern consumer goods in use amongst a tribal group otherwise living at TL 2 or 3 on earth. The PCs are just trying adapt and survive the massive cultural change, as the local tech level tries to shoot up 3 or four levels in half a century.
Ah the entire planet Earth as one big cargo cult...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #70
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Sounds like the TV series Earth: Final Conflict
You guys are thinking of aliens with much subtler intentions than I am -- mine were planning to outright conquer earth and are just stalling until they can get earthly allies to provide the manpower they need (a classic conquistador technique).

Of course, the ideas mentioned are just as valid as mine...
__________________
Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.