Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-03-2019, 05:10 AM   #1
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default "How Does Decks Of Destiny Work In A Game?"

If you've got questions about the newest Kickstarter campaign and how to use the assorted tools, this should help.

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/M...Work_In_A_Game

If you have more questions, please let us know!
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:53 AM   #2
FireHorse

Default Re: "How Does Decks Of Destiny Work In A Game?"

Can we hear (read/see) a bit more about the 62 hex-shaped Labyrinth cards? Those seem mighty useful to me.

I wouldn't object to a Stretch Goal that increased their number, either. ;)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:20 AM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Labyrinth cards. These are pretty easy to use cards. Draw one, two, three, or more, and assemble them to form a map design. Then use the megahexes -- or a hex playmat -- to build the playable map for counters or minis.

You may choose to draw one card, select an entrance, and go. The drop table in the new Decks of Destiny box is for randomly stocking the dungeon, or just do something like:

----

Roll a die.
1 - 1d3 Fighter cards. Roll again: Joins your party on a 1. Hostile on a 2-5. Neutral on a 6.
2 - 1d3 Wizard cards. Roll again: Joins your party on a 1. Hostile on a 2-5. Neutral on a 6.
3 - 1d3 orc fighter cards. Joins your party on a 1. Hostile on a 2-5. Extremely aggressive (will fight to the death) on a 6.
4 to 5 - 1 creature card. Roll again: Hostile on a 1 to 5. Has a companion (draw a second creature card) and both are hostile on a 6.
6 - Empty chamber.

JOINS YOUR PARTY
* The encountered character(s) join your party. If your party has more than six members (total, including player-controlled characters), one of them leaves the labyrinth before a new labyrinth card is drawn.

HOSTILE
* The encountered character(s) fight! Once wounded, they try to flee the labyrinth. If defeated, draw one treasure card (regardless of number of opponents).

AGRESSIVE
* Will fight to the death. If defeated, draw one treasure card (regardless of number of opponents).

----

Once you've cleared the first drawn labyrinth card, draw a second and add it to the map. And then populate the new space and continue.

----

The important thing: Use the cards as tools and, if you wish, ignore a result and try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg labyrinthcards.jpg (19.9 KB, 139 views)
Old 05-03-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
FireHorse

Awesome: Random Dungeon Generation! I love it. And the cards look great. (What are those numbers in the corner?)

Uh… but you know, the number 62 is horribly unlucky. No, really! It's like, cursed or something. So, you know, just for your sakes, for the good of SJG, it would be much safer to use a, uh, numerologically secure and lucky number, like, say… 78. Or 90. Or 144.

I mean, just to be safe.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
(What are those numbers in the corner?)
Anything the GM likes. The associated journal uses the same numbers, which will make it easier for someone who wants to pre-plan/write out a dungeon using these tools.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #6
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Anything the GM likes. The associated journal uses the same numbers, which will make it easier for someone who wants to pre-plan/write out a dungeon using these tools.
That's an excellent way to employ them. To that end, may I suggest a chart (probably best presented as a PDF), showing thumbnails of all the cards and their numbers? That would allow dungeon-builders to see all their choices at once, much more easily than spreading out the whole deck.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #7
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
That's an excellent way to employ them. To that end, may I suggest a chart (probably best presented as a PDF), showing thumbnails of all the cards and their numbers? That would allow dungeon-builders to see all their choices at once, much more easily than spreading out the whole deck.
Each card is printed inside the journal. A single page showing all of them would be too small (well, for my eyes) to be useful.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #8
FireHorse

Quote:
Each card is printed inside the journal.
That works too. (Better than spreading the whole deck out, anyway.)

Quote:
A single page showing all of them would be too small (well, for my eyes) to be useful.
Yeah, mine too. That's why I figured a PDF chart would be best, so it could be viewed on a big monitor. No need to print it at any size at all. It could even just be a big JPG or PNG image. But no matter; an index in the journal is good enough.

I like that Decks of Destiny includes so many different kinds of things, and all of them are useful, but these Labyrinth cards seem to me like one of the most useful — possibly because they're the most generic and non-specific.

Last edited by FireHorse; 05-03-2019 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 05-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
JLV

(Though, to be honest, at 62 cards, I'd need a monitor the size of a movie screen to see them all...) ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #10
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
(Though, to be honest, at 62 cards, I'd need a monitor the size of a movie screen to see them all...) ;-)
Excellent personal stretch goal, that.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote