Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Steven Marsh

Default Call for Playtesters: GURPS Martial Arts: Technical Grappling

Call For Playtesters: GURPS Martial Arts: Technical Grappling

GURPS Martial Arts: Technical Grappling puts the current grappling rules in an arm bar until they bang on your desk in submission! The supplement introduces a few new rules that allow grappling to be treated as a continuum of control rather than being "grappled" and "not grappled," and seeks to find pressure points in the rules for posture and position.

It explains how to model increasing control over an opponent, a different approach to grappling with different parts of the body, and a completely new top-to-bottom take on grappling with weapons. It adds new perks and techniques where appropriate, and revisits existing rules to ensure compatibility with the new ones!

Playtesters must be registered e23 customers who have spent more than $50 at e23 in the past 12 months. We expect you to know the GURPS Basic Set and GURPS Martial Arts very well indeed.

We'll give preference to playtesters who have experience with or access to some or all of:
  • Real grappling and martial arts experience, be it wrestling, submission grappling, MMA, or police and military training.
  • A dedicated gaming group that actually use the rules in a game. The more sessions you can run, the better!
A number of slots will be reserved for people who expressly do not know how to grapple, to check the rules and descriptions for clarity.

The playtest is currently scheduled to run from November 7 through November 28.

Prospective playtesters should e-mail kenclary@gmail.com with [TG] (for "Technical Grappling") in the subject. Include your preferred e-mail address for the closed playtest mailing list, correct spelling of your name as it may appear in print, your e23 login name, and a few words on why we should pick you: qualifications, experience, current gaming group(s), etc. Please submit in this format:

Quote:
johndoe@etheremail.com
Jonathan Doe
johndoegamer

I'm a longtime credited playtester, with credits in Martial Arts and Fairbarn Close Combat Systems. I used to study Aikido and trained and taught for seven years. I have an ongoing realistic fantasy campaign that often features people using grappling to occupy or cripple their foes; one of my group's characters is a centaur! The group plays weekly, and I can get together with them at least twice to try out the rules.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Call for Playtesters: GURPS Martial Arts: Technical Grappling

WOW! Now I gotta buy 4E to start my MMA campaign

I know BJJ, am a martial arts enthusiast and know a lot of the intricacies of grappling, but my lack of knowledge of the 4e will leave me out of this
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
WOW! Now I gotta buy 4E to start my MMA campaign

I know BJJ, am a martial arts enthusiast and know a lot of the intricacies of grappling, but my lack of knowledge of the 4e will leave me out of this
That's not a guarantee. if youre interested, I'd apply. Worst that can happen is you send an email and don't get in this one . . . And we arent kidding about slots for newbies.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
D10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
That's not a guarantee. if youre interested, I'd apply. Worst that can happen is you send an email and don't get in this one . . . And we arent kidding about slots for newbies.
Ok you convinced me, ill fill my aplication by the morning
Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
kenclary

We are still looking for a few more playtesters.

In particular, if you fit any of the following:
  • You have a campaign or other opportunity to playtest the book in a supers, powers or fantasy setting; we'll want to see how well the rules work with fantastical and supernatural grapplers.
  • You have no grappling experience; we have slots explicitly for this.
  • You have real grappling experience; this still won't get you turned away, of course.

The application deadline is the end of the day this Wednesday.
kenclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Langy

I'd apply to the playtest, except I doubt I'd be able to test the grappling rules in an actual game; unfortunately, my character in my weekly Monster Hunters-like game is an old man with no grappling skills at all. If the playtest were to take place during the New Year, I'd have a nice Cyberpunk game to test the grappling in with cyborgs and such, but unfortunately it isn't. Just bad timing, I guess. Too bad. I liked the Alternate GURPS Pyramid article on grappling; sounds like this might be in a similar vein.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Steven Marsh

This is a general comment to anyone reading this thread:

Even if someone isn't using these rules in a current ongoing game, there might still be a playtest slot or two available if there are any gaming groups up for using these rules in "mock combats." ("Okay... let's try three bouts between someone at skill-10 and someone at skill-13... Now let's try three bouts between someone at skill-10 and someone at skill-15...")
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post

Even if someone isn't using these rules in a current ongoing game, there might still be a playtest slot or two available if there are any gaming groups up for using these rules in "mock combats." ("Okay... let's try three bouts between someone at skill-10 and someone at skill-13... Now let's try three bouts between someone at skill-10 and someone at skill-15...")
Let's see if Heracles really CAN beat the Nemean lion.

What about Conan vs. that GIANT FRACKIN' SNAKE?

How would Plastic Man wrestle Mister Slippery?

How can I disarm a guy like Jet Li in Lethal Weapon 4?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post

darn wish you had posted that earlier!
No gaming group (which I mentioned in my application so will probably be denied) but I certainly can wrangle a few of my gamer friends into that.
Hmm might be good at another attempt to get them to convert.
"Hey guys, I will open up the clubhouse and supply pizza to a few who will help me out with testing some rules and no you don't have to learn the whole game. Just let me know how well it models what you know from real life or imagine from a movie"
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
D10

Travelling alot, gonna be out of this one