Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Gef

Default The Everlasting

Has anyone ever GURPSififed this game? (It was published by Visionary Entertainment, written by a former contributor to White Wolf's World of Darkness and similar to that, with more potential in my humble opinion, though it never gained much traction.) -GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Gef

Default Re: The Everlasting

Bump.

Is anyone else familiar with this setting? It's urban fantasy, with a wide variety of fantastic beings with a common mechanic for how they stay hidden: All the magic happens on deeper layers of reality known as the reverie. That homeless guy on a bicycle may in fact be an errant grail knight on a warhorse; those who can extend their senses into the reverie see him thus.

As I said above, the setting seems potentially richer than World of Darkness, and I like some of their creative choices better: Lycanthropy as a communicable disease, magic that pays for its flexibility that pays for its flexibility with assorted ritual encumbrances so it doesn't trump the natural abilities of sundry supernatural beings, and in fact supernatural beings can learn magic just like a mortal wizard. I refer to its potential, because the company operated on a slim budget and never managed to turn out any supplements to core mechanics.

I'm just checking to see if anyone has invented the wheel, before I reinvent it. Frankly, the mechanics are nothing special. GURPS combat and skill system is far better and ports easily, but the races are complex and will require some serious work building templates. I fear that the best way to model various traditions of magic will be to use magical styles or book magic and specify spell lists one by one. And I have no notion yet of how to model the layered nature of the reverie. Has anyone tackled it before me? The one game of Everlasting that I've run was a hit, but it lacked a certain quality of making sense that GURPS campaigns tend to enjoy.

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote