Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #371
Mailanka

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Moving away from guns, I address the first of the non-force-sword melee weapons, the vibro-blade, including a discussion of modifications and three different styles each focused on a different sort of vibro-weapon.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:50 AM   #372
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Regarding vibroblades and utility:

I noticed that there's a prohibition against monoblades cutting into a flat surface, but not for vibroblades to do so. This makes a huge difference, because hyperdense vibroblades with their (10) armour divisor essentially mean that any barrier with DR100 or less can be gradually cut down with relative ease (as far as barriers with high DR and high HP go!). Padlocks become mostly irrelevant, and anything else with a weak spot can be easily disabled, with no or little need of a fusion cutter or the Forced Entry skill.

Do you see that as desirable or not?
Old 09-21-2016, 04:04 AM   #373
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Regarding vibroblades and utility:

I noticed that there's a prohibition against monoblades cutting into a flat surface, but not for vibroblades to do so. This makes a huge difference, because hyperdense vibroblades with their (10) armour divisor essentially mean that any barrier with DR100 or less can be gradually cut down with relative ease (as far as barriers with high DR and high HP go!). Padlocks become mostly irrelevant, and anything else with a weak spot can be easily disabled, with no or little need of a fusion cutter or the Forced Entry skill.

Do you see that as desirable or not?
I've been focusing on keeping the armor divisor around 5, to remain consistent across the board. Giving vibro-blades an armor divisor of 10 might not be a bad idea, but I'd have to do a cost/benefit analysis.

As for cutting, I'd like to note that whatever a vibro-blade could do, a force blade is better (which is ultimately the problem with the vibro-blade: it must be a poor-man's force sword, because it IS a poor-man's force sword). The force sword can cut anything a vibroblade can, and more, because it typically deals far more damage and can also remain "on" and "cutting" for a long time, and it's even more compact and portable than a vibro-blade.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #374
Kalzazz

I explained the popularity of vibro-polearms and training as basically TL 11 bayonet drill

Now admittedly, the scenario where melee combat with rifles with fixed bayonets at TL 11 makes sense is a bit peculiar, but doesn't mean there isn't enthusiasm within the setting for developing the polearm skill as armies think its an awesome idea
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #375
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I explained the popularity of vibro-polearms and training as basically TL 11 bayonet drill

Now admittedly, the scenario where melee combat with rifles with fixed bayonets at TL 11 makes sense is a bit peculiar, but doesn't mean there isn't enthusiasm within the setting for developing the polearm skill as armies think its an awesome idea
Well, to be fair, the force sword is probably a relatively rare weapon, one deeply associated with space knights and not the sort of thing one learns a lot. The galaxy is also, presumably, huge and has lots of alternate cultures. You see vibroweapons used in Star Wars as an excuse to have barbarians running around with axes and such and looking barbaric. I expect that will be the case here too. The Empire might not have vibro-glaives, but the royal guard of the Styxian Heirarch might.

Also, if you go back to my tactical analyses, you'll note that a knife is basically the ideal stealth weapon, and a vibro-knife gives you a measure of competitiveness with most forms of armor (It'll defeat battleweave for sure, and will defeat the weaker points of a light battle suit, if you're lucky or strong). It's also not too bad against space monsters. So the vibro-knife definitely has a place, and one can make a case, I think, for vibro-blades. It's hard to argue for items larger than that except as ceremonial items.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #376
Kalzazz

The M1905 US bayonet and the Japanese type 30 bayonet were both either short swords or long knives

A falchion style version would turn your rifle into a polearm AND be a nifty handy machete! And even if you don't actually fight with them machetes are always handy to have around

Notably bayonet combat has always focused on stabbing people, but with the invention of vibro weapons, unliving robots/space beasties, and good armor then swinging cuts would surely be more emphasized
Old 09-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #377
Mailanka

I didn't mean to suggest I had no interest in a vibro-bayonet. I'm actually going to touch on it later in the Iteration when I get back into mooks (great minds think alike!)
Old 09-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #378
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

In real life rifles with bayonets turn out to be much more effective at prisoner control than just rifles; there's something about stabbing that makes people want to avoid it more than being shot.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #379
Kalzazz

Out of curiosity (and I may have just missed it) have you looked at the simplified automatic weapons rules from AtE?
Old 09-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #380
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
The M1905 US bayonet and the Japanese type 30 bayonet were both either short swords or long knives

A falchion style version would turn your rifle into a polearm AND be a nifty handy machete! And even if you don't actually fight with them machetes are always handy to have around

Notably bayonet combat has always focused on stabbing people, but with the invention of vibro weapons, unliving robots/space beasties, and good armor then swinging cuts would surely be more emphasized.
See http://www.springfieldedge.com/bayonet_m-1902.html for a real life near-falchion bayonet.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack