Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #121
tomservo

Default Re: Fast-Draw Parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
This is a very important point. Even if something is "impossible for any real world human being in all but the best of conditions," GURPS should still have rules for it in the event of superhumanly good swordsmen.
My point is that the Rules should be 'amended' if they prove to be inadequate to handle the current situation. I don't think this rises to that level. However, your point is a good one and well taken!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #122
tomservo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Man comes up behind you with a sword and tells you to follow him. As you move to do what he says you discover that the whole thing was a ruse when he attacks you.

The attacker does teleport in and attack you.
Man comes into a bar with a Parrot on shoulder...
Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #123
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomservo View Post
A shinai comes close, no?
You don't draw a shinai, though. Even a bokken generally isn't drawn. And both are used with Broadsword skill due to method of employment.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #124
SuedodeuS

Quote:
No. A shinai is a simulated sword, and is used as such, with Broadsword and Two-Handed Sword skills. You aren't going to be learning how to use a staff as part of a style that emphasizes drawing and attacking/defending with a sword, even if one of the training tools is made of wood. Now, a real samurai might have some training with Staff (although he's more likely working off of the default from Spear or Polearm), but a bow is a terrible weapon with which to parry and he isn't holding it in the correct orientation to pull off a parry with it. Realistically, the character would most likely be best off with a Retreated Dodge. If he's a cinematic character and/or has spend significant time training for just this situation (drawing and parrying a somewhat-unanticipated attack), however, Draw Parry may well be the way to go.

Of course, if you don't think it's physically possible to draw quickly enough to parry an attack, it's well within your rights not to allow the Draw Parry Technique.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #125
aesir23

Quote:
Iado (distinct from kendo) is often practiced with a metal sword.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #126
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The classic iaido situation is when your weapon is sheathed and you are attacked with someone else's fast draw. Perhaps you are kneeling down at the local eatery slurping noodle soup. Some other samurai comes in and stands across from you as though he is going to kneel down too. Suddenly he fast draws his katana and aims a viscous draw cut for your face! What do you do?
That'd be a standard fast-draw contest. Though the kneeling-and-slurping fighter probably has a penalty for possition and possibly for distraction, while the standing one might even get a bonus for deception (Maybe, say, a Ruse attempt off Acting with the margin applying to the fast-draw contest as well as against defenses? Seems appropriate).
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #127
Wraithe

Blast it, I had a complex post covering how RAW handles Iaido/Iaijutsu technique just fine and then I read the OP again.

It seems like the specific question is actually: "Can I Fast-Draw on my turn if I'm attacked while I'm doing something else (that allows an active defense).

"No". You need to dodge or retreat.

Iai speed draw-cuts require you to be at least somewhat ready. I can't see someone (for example) readying a potion and then being able to respond to an attack with a drawcut.

The examples of someone sitting down opposite you in a restaurant and then drawing and attacking you..that's called a surprise attack. Iai is a technique/teaching/skill, not magic. (Or Cinematic :))

Think of it this way:
Player Turn:
Choose Ready beer. Step back one hex. beer in belt. Gun in holster.

Opponent Turn:
Attack Player readying beer. Step forward. Attack roll success.

Player Active Defense:
Roll Fast-Draw Pistol to allow you to shoot opponent.

Would this be allowed? No.

I draw this comparison because what most people consider an Iai Parry is much more of an "Attack weapon" than it is what GURPS (or most sword forms, including Kenjutsu) considers a Parry. If using Iai as the example, if I can draw - I can cut. If I can cut, WHY would I attack their sword instead of the opponent? (Real-world answer is "showboating", or someone who is a faster Iai than you).

Please note that my answers above apply only to quickdraw of pistols and Iaijutsu, covering my personal experience & applying to rules, YMMV. :)
Wraithe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat rules, draw parry, fast-draw, kromm explanation