Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
Blood Legend

Default Fast-Drawing an Enemy's Weapon

I can't believe I haven't asked this one yet...swore I already had or read a thread like it but couldn't find it.

How does one draw a weapon out of a sheath on an enemy opponent?

It's done plenty of times in movies and books, and I'm rather amazed I can't find any rules on it.

Best I would figure for a house rule, is treat it like a Fast-Draw from close combat, but instead require a quick contest of your DX and the best of your opponent's DX, Weapon, or Retain Weapon skill and then a Fast-Draw. If the opponent is stunned, he gets his usual resistance at -4, or simply requiring a normal DX check if he's caught completely unaware (which may requiring a sleight of hand roll, and perhaps stealth).

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 05-13-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Fast-Drawing an Enemy's Weapon

If this isn't in Technical Grappling, I'll be surprised.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
Gotha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
Best I would figure for a house rule, is treat it like a Fast-Draw from close combat, but instead require a quick contest of your DX and the best of your opponent's DX, Weapon, or Retain Weapon skill and then a Fast-Draw. If the opponent is stunned, he gets his usual resistance at -4, or simply requiring a normal DX check if he's caught completely unaware (which may requiring a sleight of hand roll, and perhaps stealth).
I agree, this how I would handle this, though I wouldn't have thought about using requiring a Fast-Draw roll.
Gotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
theothersarah

What about treating it as a melee attack (using Fast-Draw skill for the weapon if available, or DX) and if the opponent is able to use an active defense they can try to dodge, parry with a hand or weapon as usual, or "parry" with (Retain Weapon/2) + 3?

Edit: My reasoning is that I feel that it is more difficult to protect a weapon that isn't currently in your grip. I think that a contest makes most sense if you're in a situation where you have more control over an object - that is, if you're holding it and can try to keep a strong hold on it or try to move it away from the assailant's grip.

But a weapon in a holster or sheath is a little more tricky. If someone is lunging for it you can really only try to jerk your entire body away (a dodge) or deflect their hand (a parry.) You aren't currently holding onto the item so you can't try to out-muscle them nor do you have fine control over it.

Plus, if you're in the middle of an All-Out Attack you can still try to protect your held weapon from a disarmament attempt, but wouldn't be able to react in time to protect a weapon on your belt.

Last edited by theothersarah; 05-13-2013 at 04:06 AM.
theothersarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
I can't believe I haven't asked this one yet...swore I already had or read a thread like it but couldn't find it.

How does one draw a weapon out of a sheath on an enemy opponent?

It's done plenty of times in movies and books, and I'm rather amazed I can't find any rules on it.

Nothing published that I'm aware of. Its' not come up in my games (yet; I must have someone do it next session), but I'd rule: Quick Contest of DX/ST (as per "Gadget, Can Be Stolen"), attacker can substitute an appropriate Fast-Draw (at -2; can be bought off with a hard technique) if desired, defender can substitute an appropriate Retain Weapon (at no penalty) if desired.

Draw Opponent's Sheathed Weapon (Fast-Draw (...)) (Tech/H; defaults to skill -2; no higher than skill) (offensive technique; unintuitive skill usage; special benefit, -1; unusual use, -1)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
corwyn

It's a technique in Gun-Fu, pg 26.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
It's a technique in Gun-Fu, pg 26.
Ah-ha, it is!

Fast-Draw Opponent's Weapon (Fast-Draw (Any) -5, Judo -5, Wrestling -5; Fast-Draw prerequisite; cannot exceed prerequisite). Erm. You can default to Judo or Wrestling but you can't take it as an actual technique off those, only on Fast-Draw? Thats' odd.

And I see where the -5 comes from. Its' buying off (optional, as Gun-Fu says "may want to apply") location penalties.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast-draw, gun fu