Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #31
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: I still want better rules for shotguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
Yeah, that's why I didn't have the first slug hit on MoS 0. Giving it some more thought, though, I'd probably have the first slug hit on an MoS equal to the RoF bonus, and subsequent slugs hit on every full increment of recoil after that. So in the previous example the first slug would hit on MoS 2 and the second slug on MoS 6.

That way even small shot with a really big RoF bonus wouldn't break it.
...True, but that way it actually is just better to fire a shotshell along with your slugs.

It doesn't help the slugs hit, but you get the slug hit at the same roll as you would otherwise and you get shot hits too.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #32
Litvyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
...True, but that way it actually is just better to fire a shotshell along with your slugs.

It doesn't help the slugs hit, but you get the slug hit at the same roll as you would otherwise and you get shot hits too.
You could use (RoF Bonus + 1) to determine the MoS for the first slug hit if you wanted to penalize it compared to shooting all slugs.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #33
AlexanderHowl

The best way would be to treat each shell as a different attack that suffers a skill penalty equal to Rcl penalties of each previous round (using slug Rcl instead of shot Rcl), using a -2 skill penalty for each additional shot beyond the first to correct the math, and with each shot shell getting a +2 to its attack due to having 9 ROF. The shot shells would have one hit per point that the attack hits by. So a shot-slug-shot combination (with an average roll of 10 on a modified skill of 14) would have six shot hits on the first attack, no slug hit on the second attack, and no shot hits on the third attack.

And the Rapid Fire rules tend to reflect tactical reality, though they may be overly optomistic. In reality, a US soldier averages one intended hit for every ten thousand rounds fired in battle, with the majority of enemy combatants being killed by explosives or by shots that were intended for other targets. In many cases, innocent bystanders have a greater chance of being accidentally hit because they do not have any cover.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 03-26-2016 at 05:40 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #34
fula farbrorn

i have treated shotguns firing shot, in the following way, you need to hit within the Slug Rcl stat before you can gain the ROF bonus from the shells,

so if a player fired Shot,slug,shot

he would need 5 degrees of sucess to Add the slug to the ROF bonus, and 10 to add the slug and second shot, once that is done you assume that the first degree of sucess is a shot, the second is the slug and then you alternate between the shots for the rest of them
fula farbrorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rate of fire, rof, shotguns