Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #11
Genesis

Default Re: The Film Reroll: an RPG/Film Podcast - using GURPS!

Hi Gekko! Great questions. The truth is, lots of what we do is very improvised, and we play pretty rules-light for the podcast to try and keep things moving. It helps that we're all friends outside of gaming, and most of us have some background in theater to - so we play a lot of "yes, and..."

If Jennifer has messed with the chronometer, things would have gone off the rails even more quickly than it did! We would have improvised a way around it, and it would have been very clear that we were off-script, but even those sorts of snafus can be fun when you let them happen. The paradox mechanic was designed before we started playing, but was not extensively play-tested (or play tested at all, really...) - we absolutely did not appreciate the snowball effect many of the consequences could have! But hey - it was funny, and since we already know it's a one-shot, it frees us from feeling too upset when something bad happens to our characters.

Labyrinth is an interesting case - it was clear to me listening that Joz was getting the hints she needed to get through, and it was also clear that Paulo had constructed the game to allow her to "fail forward" in the way that movie heroes often do. So I think it would have worked out either way, and part of the fun of the episode is listening to Joz argue with the riddles...

Yeah, I was exaggerating when I said Elsa would freeze the world - for reference, I gave her 100 points of cosmic modular abilities, so she essentially has whatever moderate-to-superpowered ice abilities Pitr can think of in the moment. In very Disney style, I didn't want the game to bog down with the exact mechanics of what she can or can't do. Frozen 2 should be up soon (maybe even today!), and we've finished recording the finale (spoilers-but-not-really-spoilers: it's Frozen 3), so I can tell you that Pitr had some fun with it. We'll see how it all comes together, but I was very satisfied with the feel of it... I'm glad you've been enjoying the show!

TL;DR: Frozen 2 should be up soon, glad you like everything, keep listening and commenting - we want to know what you think!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
Genesis

New posts! Frozen parts 2 and 3 are up now - give 'em a listen and let us know what you think. Spoiler warning: "Disney Rules" gives you a lot of leeway as a GM...
Old 03-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #13
christ0pher

I have thoroughly enjoyed the shenanigans. Keep up the great work!

christ0pher
You reach out to push the orc off the ledge.
[Dice roll. Critical Failure!]
But instead, lightly caress his back.
The orc is uncomfortable.
christ0pher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #14
Maz

Awesome show :D

[edit] Having just hear the two first shows to end. MAN your players are bloodthirsty! [edit]

Last edited by Maz; 03-30-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #15
Maz

Tiny nitpick. A personal pet peeve of mine. In Frozen (which was very fun to listen to btw.), anyway, in Frozen you kept referring "for that period" or "in that era". Like discussing if telescopes was invented or not and so on.

It sounds like you think it takes place in the early middle ages.

Based on clothing, building style (roll Architecture), the paintings and ship-designs. Frozen, and indeed most Disney movies, takes place much later. Usually the 1500s at the earliest and most of them more likely the 1600s.
Yes I know, then why no guns? Well GURPS have rules for Alternate timelines. But more likely it has to do with keeping a fantasy-vibe.

As I mentioned its a pet peeve of mine as It's an argument I often hear as a vague explanation for how things should be in fantasy games/fiction: "Well that's how it was back then!". When in fact most fantasy are more inspired by the 1500/1600s (except no guns) rather than the actual middle ages. Also Its fantasy!

Sorry, it just came up in all of the 3 parts so it started gnawing on me. It was still a very good show, and inspiring! I am totally going to run a Disney game. ...including Disney Rules!
Old 04-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #16
lachimba

I wanted to like it. I really did, but the first episode is already triggering me.

IMHO you really are not using GURPS RAW.

There's something to be said for house rules and simplifying rules (also I cant see the rules you're using because its story facing rather than rules facing, but I can hear what you roll for and dont)

Strength rolls to pick up someone who likely doesn't way 50kgs? Basic Lift is more relevant. Throwing your back? was there a HT roll there?

I could go through every roll you make (or dont make) and say how I feel it should have been handled under GURPS.

Just seems like the GM is picking rolls (eg ok ST roll to pick up...) and then narrating action. This is one of the things that turned me off other systems and attracted me to GURPS with actual rules for everything)

Best of luck anyway, just because I dont like it that is no reason that you shouldn't succeed
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #17
fifiste

Really entertaining show. Got a terrible flu and can't read long text so this is a good alternative to audiobooks. Would like to see the character sheets.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #18
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
I wanted to like it. I really did, but the first episode is already triggering me.

IMHO you really are not using GURPS RAW.
Well they do say outright that they use a light and simplified intepretation of the rules. That being said I agree with you that I do not like the way the rules where used in the first session. It was way too random and arbitrary and yes, didn't make much sense regarding GURPS.

The Frozen episodes (With a different GM), are more close to GURPS RAW. But the Labyrinth is still my favourite episode. But then again it's also mostly narrative driven.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:30 AM   #19
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Well they do say outright that they use a light and simplified intepretation of the rules. That being said I agree with you that I do not like the way the rules where used in the first session. It was way too random and arbitrary and yes, didn't make much sense regarding GURPS.

The Frozen episodes (With a different GM), are more close to GURPS RAW. But the Labyrinth is still my favourite episode. But then again it's also mostly narrative driven.
Indeed and I just reread GURPS Ultralite which is even lower detail.

I will try again those two episodes as I can't even continue listening to the first session.

I think some things in GURPS like Combat have to take a few minutes to resolve for what can be seconds of screen time. That's just something you have to have if you want any variables other than I win, lose or draw the round/battle. The thing is I've listened to the Penny Arcade D&D podcasts and their combat becomes bloated and long (and they make mistakes and forget rules too), but its gripping and entertaining stuff for a podcast. So I think simplifying and arbitrarily working out what looks like the major fight scene of a session is regretful. Anyway the thing that slows down GURPS is IMHO people not knowing what to do on their turn, and 3 turns of I walk out, I kick him in the groin and I dodge aren't slowing anything down.

Last edited by lachimba; 04-05-2016 at 12:34 AM.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #20
Genesis

Hey Lachimba - I totally hear you on the rules. I'm one of the most GURPS-familiar of the people on the podcast, and sometimes it frustrates me too. The choice we made to go as rules-flexible as we did stems from a couple of pressures. First, not all the players know the rules really well. Second, at the table recording it really helps momentum to just keep going, even if we're not sure about the exact rule - pausing to look things up drags, and makes editing that much harder. Third, it's a podcast, and while it is a gaming podcast, it's also a comedy and movies podcast, so we have to be aware of the audience. That means cutting out a lot of mechanical details - for instance, there was an HT roll for that pulled back, but it got cut because it didn't help the show move forward.

And of course, that first episode we were still figuring things out :).

I'm really sorry if it hurts your enjoyment of the show - as we keep going I'm sure we'll get better and better about the RAW. Don't give up on us!

Tags
podcast, session recording