Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Can you stack linked damage against DR?

There are balance problems with how linked damage works (2X points in one attack is almost always better than X points in each of two linked attacks), but making them cumulative against DR would be both a big hassle (for reasons gotten into above) and have its own balance problems (by using a cheap attack to start with, and then the expensive attack tacked on at the end).
Old 12-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #12
Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
No, that's not how rules work. If the rule specifies exceptional handling for one case but not for others, that doesn't mean that you should have it do some arbitrary thing you made up in all the other cases, it means that in the other cases it follows the regular rule. In the event that the carrier attack hits but does not penetrate, the follow-up also hits but interacts with the target's DR normally.
If you're the GM you can do whatever you want. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea, but I don't see any shenanigans coming out of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There are balance problems with how linked damage works (2X points in one attack is almost always better than X points in each of two linked attacks), but making them cumulative against DR would be both a big hassle (for reasons gotten into above) and have its own balance problems (by using a cheap attack to start with, and then the expensive attack tacked on at the end).
The hassle isn't too bad, just require that it be noted when the attack is created. As for balace, compare Corrosion 1d + Impaling 2d (follow-up penetrating, +20%) [10+20] Vs. Impaling 2d (armor Divisor 3, +100%) [32] The first is better against low armored opponents, but not much moreso thanthe secod, while the second rapidly outpaces the first on DR greater than 6. There might be trouble if you allow Crushing or Toxic as the carrier, but that's easily enough vetoed, and makes no sense anyway.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #13
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I can't 'think like a plasma cutter effect', I really have no idea what you think that would be.
I could of sworn that either high or ultra tech noted that blow- torches reduced the DR of a material the torch was held on but now I can't seem to find it. This was the effect I was talking about though it seems it either doesn't exist or is buried somewhere in a non intuitive spot in one of those books so either way it's understandable you didn't know what I meant heh.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #14
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
I could of sworn that either high or ultra tech noted that blow- torches reduced the DR of a material the torch was held on but now I can't seem to find it. This was the effect I was talking about though it seems it either doesn't exist or is buried somewhere in a non intuitive spot in one of those books so either way it's understandable you didn't know what I meant heh.
Perhaps you're thinking of the Structural Damage Table (Basic, p.558-559) and the way lots of things there have the note:

"* Repeated impaling, piercing, and large piercing attacks against the same small spot (an area with SM 0 or less) lower DR at that specific point as if it were semi-ablative; repeated burning, corrosion, crushing, cutting, or huge piercing attacks at that same spot reduce DR at that point as if it were ablative.
DR never falls below 1 for wood or 3 for brick, concrete, or stone."
?
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
@chandley: Ah, ok. That idea words, in fact with the idea I had in mind your suggestion might even work better since armor eroding properties of corrosive was what I was interested in. Thanks!

So pretty much take the point cost of the damage type you want to add, multiple it by ten and throw a percentage sign on it to make it a modifier.
Actually, I estimated it as "Corrosion innate attacks are twice as expensive as crushing innate attacks, which are kind of the default, so +100% might fly as an enhancement" since it isnt in the list in Characters, Powers, Supers or Psionic Powers. Compared to something like Surge, Arcing at +150%, Corrosion at +100% might be close. Others may disagree.

Similarly, if I where adding the effects of cutting damage to a Corrosion Innate Attack (so, better wounding modifier most places, but especially against neck, veins and arteries, etc), Id call it a +40% enhancement, as Cutting attacks are 40% more expensive than crushing attacks.

Its not a perfect way to estimate, just a place to start. Adjust as needed for your games balance.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #16
The Benj

I think the Wounding mods are too fundamental to make them into Enhancements, but making the corrosive effect into a +100% Enhancement sounds about right to me.

Or you could just give it an Armour Divisor based on it cutting through stuff and call that good.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #17
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Perhaps you're thinking of the Structural Damage Table (Basic, p.558-559)
I thought I might of as well when I was looking for the rule but I remember being a note listed next the stats for a plasma torch. I'm starting to think it might of been from a 3rd edition book, maybe GURPS: Ogre.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #18
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
I think the Wounding mods are too fundamental to make them into Enhancements
It can make sense to turn them into enhancements, but mostly as part of a more general reworking of the innate attack rules.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #19
Vilobion

Corrosion erodes DR at 1 point of DR lost per 5 points of Corrosion damage soaked by DR. (Basic Set, Page 61)

It sounds like you want the lead attack to be Corrosion, because it will reduce the DR the following attack will have to crack through.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #20
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilobion View Post
Corrosion erodes DR at 1 point of DR lost per 5 points of Corrosion damage soaked by DR. (Basic Set, Page 61)

It sounds like you want the lead attack to be Corrosion, because it will reduce the DR the following attack will have to crack through.
No, he WANTS xd Corrosion and xd Cutting to not be less good at penetration than 2xd of either, and we've explained why that doesn't work.

Tags
damage stacking, rules