Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2017, 05:05 AM   #21
malloyd

Default Re: "I make him conscious"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Perhaps the most common cinematic treatment is that the victim awakens on their own shortly after being moved to the villain's prison, torture chamber, or monologuing lounge. Realistically, if an injured person is unconscious long enough to be moved, the placed they need to be moved to is a trauma center.
It's standard in all adventure fiction to treat injuries as less serious in the long term than they really are, not just unconsciousness. I think in this case though it is more than it's difficult to produce unconsciousness without inflicting several HP worth of damage, and in the real world people who are down even a few HP are pretty debilitated. People rendered unconscious by non-damaging things - which are rare, but anesthetics work - do seem to recover without a lot of after effects.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:44 AM   #22
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
People rendered unconscious by non-damaging things - which are rare, but anesthetics work - do seem to recover without a lot of after effects.
I wouldn't call anesthetics "non-damaging", but I'd accept "low risk of damaging"; there's a reason why they have to read you a disclaimer before you go under general anesthesia - it can kill you.

Also, part of the anesthesia doesn't go away on its own - the paralytic part requires an antidote to reverse. That's why when people recover partial consciousness during surgery, they can't move to signal the doctors.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #23
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
One of annoying things for me is when unconsciousness is treated by the players as just "need to sacrifice few seconds". There are any rules (if they're officjal - it's great!) to prevent this or make this much harder? Without just saying to players "no, he can't be made conscious"?

And when "making someone conscious" (by pouring water on him, or slapping in face, or something) should be realistically automatic, when "there is a chance" (roll or something), and when there is "no way!"?
Based on the rules on B423, once you're Unconscious (whether as a result of a badly failed HT roll for knockdown/stun or a failed HT roll due to accumulated injury or an affliction), you are out for a minimum of 15 minutes, period.

Extrapolating from the existing rules for First Aid, it's reasonable to require at least a minute (based on Bandaging) to apply basic measures to wake someone from unconsciousness if they're at positive HP - this involves a First Aid roll, which will include things like checking their pulse, determining why they're unconscious in the first place (Diagnosis may be complimentary, or *required*, depending on the cause of the unconsciousness), then applying the best remedy (smelling salts, cold water, whatever). This is a skilled activity! If your patient has a cracked orbital bone, slapping them awake isn't doing them any favors. If you want to do it faster than a full minute, take your time spent penalties: frankly, if someone can consistently make First Aid at -10, I'm pretty happy to allow them to waken people from unconsciousness in no time.

If they're at negative HP (and can't be brought to positive HP quickly), then I'd apply the time required by the First Aid Table (B424) to wake someone from unconsciousness. They'll still be at negative HP (and might fall unconscious again if they try to move around), but First Aid should be able to wake them up sooner than they'd do so on their own.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #24
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Also, part of the anesthesia doesn't go away on its own - the paralytic part requires an antidote to reverse.
That assumes a paralytic is being used, a lot of things that can reasonably be treated as unconscious don't actually cause paralysis, since GURPS doesn't really distinguish between 'incapable of effective action' and 'incapable of any action'.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #25
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That assumes a paralytic is being used, a lot of things that can reasonably be treated as unconscious don't actually cause paralysis, since GURPS doesn't really distinguish between 'incapable of effective action' and 'incapable of any action'.
She did originally specify general anaesthesia which pretty much assumes paralysis as well as sedation and analgesia.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #26
Culture20

Light Sleeper has a mechanic I'm not seeing elsewhere: when woken, you are stunned unless you have combat reflexes. Would instant-action upon waking (without combat reflexes) be a perk or more? Do normal sleepers have the stunned effect upon waking until they recover from the stun?
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #27
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Do normal sleepers have the stunned effect upon waking until they recover from the stun?
I've always assumed that (again, without Combat Reflexes).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #28
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Light Sleeper has a mechanic I'm not seeing elsewhere: when woken, you are stunned unless you have combat reflexes. Would instant-action upon waking (without combat reflexes) be a perk or more? Do normal sleepers have the stunned effect upon waking until they recover from the stun?
Yes. While sleeping you are unaware of your environment; thus, if you are woken up and there's something going on that's significant, you're totally surprised by that event. This is not a special case of sleep, it's just ordinary Total Surprise.