Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
b-dog

Default [DF/Ars Magica] The power to Excommunicate

I am wondering what kind point cost it would be to have a cleric be able to excommunicate another person. I am guessing this would result in a permanent disadvantage that could only be removed if a person repented and fullilled obligations to God. But still the power to excommunicate seems it is very powerful and thse who wield it would have great powers over others. I imagine there would need to be some Status requirement but it may need some sort of Power Inestiture or Divine Favor abilities to perform. What do you think?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: [DF/Ars Magica] The power to Excommunicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I am wondering what kind point cost it would be to have a cleric be able to excommunicate another person.
Is this just a social penalty, or is it shutting off supernatural powers as well? Arguably it's Legal Enforcement Powers (Religious), possibly combined with Neutralize. If you can do it without due cause, Status (Church) may be involved.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Is this just a social penalty, or is it shutting off supernatural powers as well? Arguably it's Legal Enforcement Powers (Religious), possibly combined with Neutralize. If you can do it without due cause, Status (Church) may be involved.
I am thinking the person gets the Excommunicated advantage. They suffer penalties on social rolls and they have a bad aura about them.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I am wondering what kind point cost it would be to have a cleric be able to excommunicate another person. I am guessing this would result in a permanent disadvantage that could only be removed if a person repented and fullilled obligations to God. But still the power to excommunicate seems it is very powerful and thse who wield it would have great powers over others. I imagine there would need to be some Status requirement but it may need some sort of Power Inestiture or Divine Favor abilities to perform. What do you think?
I think that no religion large enough and influential to be able to effectively saddle someone with a social stigma would leave the power to do it in the hands of any individual except for the leader of their faith if any. Otherwise we're talking things like tribunals and popular votes.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
malloyd

I think in settings like this, where there is a definite supernatural effect, it's essentially a clerical spell, and ought to work like any other clerical spell. The most important limitation from that being it only works when your god agrees.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I think in settings like this, where there is a definite supernatural effect, it's essentially a clerical spell, and ought to work like any other clerical spell.
No it isn't. Fundamentally, it's the power to kick someone out of an organization that normally provides status and temporal power. As such, it's a social ability. There could be a sealing spell of some sort, but it's not needed for any powers with a Holy power source unless you don't have the agreement of the god.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
BrockNicholson

If the spell is based on clerical power it allows you to kick a person out of a religion if and only if the god of that religion agrees they should be out. This is a fundamentally different thing than excommunication in the normal sense of the word in which it is merely a social status. I think it makes perfect sense to have a clerical spell which marks a person as excommunicated.
BrockNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockNicholson View Post
If the spell is based on clerical power it allows you to kick a person out of a religion if and only if the god of that religion agrees they should be out.
That just means your decision is subject to the permission of your superiors in the social structure, which is perfectly normal for social advantages. The fact that the top of your social structure is a god rather than a king or emperor is only incidentally relevant.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
Rasputin

Affliction 1 (Will; Based on Will, +20%; Disadvantage, Social Stigma (Excommunicated), +10%; Extended Duration, Permanent, Until Jeebus is satisfied, +150%; Fickle, -20%; PM, -10%) [25/level]

For a learned prayer, you'd need Fickle, -20%, since it's really up to your deity's whim. This shaves off 2 points from the base, but as a learned prayer, it's 5 points either way.

EDIT: I took out Irresistible Attack, which makes it more expensive for a really Irresistible attack.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 05-27-2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: That's just Fickle!
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
No it isn't. Fundamentally, it's the power to kick someone out of an organization that normally provides status and temporal power. As such, it's a social ability.
If it's a purely social ability, with no supernatural effects, then you don't pay anything extra for it over and above your Religious Rank. Being able to demote or fire your inferiors, possibly with the agreement of your superiors, possibly on your own decisions, is a pretty central feature of Rank in that organization, and that's all this is as a social ability.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, religion