Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
b-dog

Default [DF] Cool demons from myths and religions

As many might know, I like to try to have stuff from real world myths and religions in my DF campaigns. I was looking around and I saw a neat list on wiki with loads of demons and links to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_theological_demons

Here is a list from Ars Goetica which is sort of cool too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...the_Ars_Goetia

So if anyone has the time and the interest then maybe people could stat some of these guys out and out them on the DF monster list. Thanks if you are interested.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
MetaRob

Default Re: [DF] Cool demons from myths and religions

Sounds cool. What is the DF monster list?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The List
Amon[4] (also spelled Aamon) is a Marquis of Hell. He is the seventh of the 72 Goetic demons who governs forty infernal legions.

He appears as a wolf with a snake's tail who can breathe fire, or as a man with dog's teeth who is situated inside of a raven, or as a raven-headed man. [snip] He tells of all things past and future.

He procures love and reconciles controversies between friends and foes.
While there is no denying that this stuff is completely awesome, is it really what most people are looking for in their DF Demons? "Oh great Snake-Wolf! I've got this gripe with my buddy Steve, can you come up here and reconcile us?" doesn't really fit the mood of my group's DF game...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
PPoS

You should really check some Babylonian, Sumerian and Assyrian demons if you are not familiar with them already.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
While there is no denying that this stuff is completely awesome, is it really what most people are looking for in their DF Demons? "Oh great Snake-Wolf! I've got this gripe with my buddy Steve, can you come up here and reconcile us?" doesn't really fit the mood of my group's DF game...
The Demonologist would. (DF9, pg 5 - 8)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
Astromancer

I've recently ordered Grimoires: A History of Magic Books which would probably be something you'd like. I think that The Lesser Key of Solomon (the url gives what's availible on Amazon, here's the wikipedia article) would give you plenty of ideas.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I've recently ordered Grimoires: A History of Magic Books which would probably be something you'd like. I think that The Lesser Key of Solomon (the url gives what's availible on Amazon, here's the wikipedia article) would give you plenty of ideas.
The 12 sixpacks of demons from the Lesser Key have rather clearly defined areas of dominion and gifts/spells that they grant, so that theoretically (and probably not in a DF campaign per se), you could build an entire alternate magic system from them. I'm torn as to whether this should actually use the system for spirit-assisted magic from Thaumatology complete with spiritual distortion or not.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Maybe just the cool stuff for names and descriptions could be extrapolated and used to for a combat monster demon but things like reconciles relationships could be filtered?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
I'm torn as to whether this should actually use the system for spirit-assisted magic from Thaumatology complete with spiritual distortion or not.
Seems like a perfect fit, actually.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Seems like a perfect fit, actually.
You could check out The Greater Key of Solomon (it's about summoning angels) to get another line on the problem. I'm certain there's a copy online somewhere.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
demonology, religion