Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #31
Dalillama

Default Re: Avatar: Last Airbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
Except Firebending is "based on breath" and the Dragon of the West demonstrates his firebreath a few times... (As does Zuko, once or twice, plus blowing smoke from his nose at least once when he's annoyed.)
Technically, all bending abilities are based on chi, which is to say "breath"(I think I've seen reference to Chi-based as a limitation from Powers, but I don't have a copy yet). I don't know that Firebending is any more dependent on it than any other. I'd call the firebreathing an alternate form of the innate attack power. The smoke breathing thing is just a quirk, like Aang's thunderous sneezes.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #32
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama
Technically, all bending abilities are based on chi, which is to say "breath"(I think I've seen reference to Chi-based as a limitation from Powers, but I don't have a copy yet). I don't know that Firebending is any more dependent on it than any other. I'd call the firebreathing an alternate form of the innate attack power. The smoke breathing thing is just a quirk, like Aang's thunderous sneezes.
Good point... I should add some bender specific quirks.

EDIT: I don't think the Chi modifier (Powers) would work as well. It's defined as -10% for disciplines of faith. Aside from the air tribe other benders don't seem to spend much time focusing on philosophy.

Last edited by naloth; 09-21-2007 at 04:36 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #33
HeroPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth
Most of these tricks sound like very small applications of existing powers. My take:
Control Water would let you flush the water from your clothes.
Control Air would let you blow dry yourself.
Innate Attack Fire w/variable lets you fine-tune the amount of heat you can create so heating your tea isn't a big deal (much like the Human Torch pops his own popcorn in the first FF movie).

I cannot recall if Zuko heat dried his own clothes during episode 19. I figured that was a better case for temperature tolerance which he didn't have enough of.

As for the Breath vs Gestures most fire benders - even Zuko and Zula - do make elaborate gestures. Iroh seems to get by on minimal gestures but he's obviously a master (he invents his own techniques!).

Season 2 things:

I'm considering revising a few things about fire bending. Does Zula use lighting or a fire type attack of higher intensity? I thought it was the former, but the commentary says the latter.

Iroh's trick at the palace was cool, but it's easiest to as a combination of IA: Jet and Whirlwind Attack. As maneuver that requires an AoA and defaults to skill-5 it's not something most fighters would attempt.

Zuko uses really long fire whips. Do the melee enhancements (dual) apply to Jet? Melee: 1-4 just doesn't have that range.
Regarding Firebenders and breath, they do use gestures and movements for their bending discipline, but only, as far as I can tell, to enhance the dynamic motion of the attack, making it more forceful, and to provide release and guidance. The point about breath being relevant for all benders is true, but the point remains that only Fire and Air benders can actually produce effects using their lungs alone. Since doing so gives Firebenders no benefit for explosive movement and Airbenders gain no benefit from circular momentum while doing so, these effects are decidedly limited, but worth mentioning nonetheless. It makes them more versatile in situations when an Earth or Water bender, or even just mundane restraints prevent them from moving their limbs.

Azula (based on the word Azule, which is a type of blue, named for her grandfather) actually creates both lightning AND high intensity flames. Like the gas flames of a stove, her fire burns hot enough that it appears blue. Fires set by those flames die back down to the typical red-orange hue as her extra intensity wanes.

I can't seem to think of any reason why Jet shouldn't be able to use the dual enhancement. It's treated like a melee attack for all purposes, so they should be well within limits.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 PM   #34
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroPenguin
Regarding Firebenders and breath, they do use gestures and movements for their bending discipline, but only, as far as I can tell, to enhance the dynamic motion of the attack, making it more forceful, and to provide release and guidance. The point about breath being relevant for all benders is true, but the point remains that only Fire and Air benders can actually produce effects using their lungs alone. Since doing so gives Firebenders no benefit for explosive movement and Airbenders gain no benefit from circular momentum while doing so, these effects are decidedly limited, but worth mentioning nonetheless. It makes them more versatile in situations when an Earth or Water bender, or even just mundane restraints prevent them from moving their limbs.
I cannot think of an example of a water bender doing things without gestures, but I can think of an example of an earth bender. Since a master for 3 out of the 4 can do it without gestures if necessary I'm willing to guess that a water bender could as well.

Quote:
Azula (based on the word Azule, which is a type of blue, named for her grandfather) actually creates both lightning AND high intensity flames. Like the gas flames of a stove, her fire burns hot enough that it appears blue. Fires set by those flames die back down to the typical red-orange hue as her extra intensity wanes.

I can't seem to think of any reason why Jet shouldn't be able to use the dual enhancement. It's treated like a melee attack for all purposes, so they should be well within limits.
Azula for blue makes sense, but I had never thought of it. To be honest I thought she was Zula :)

I made the lightning burning which wouldn't have knockback. I could go back and make it crushing + incendiary instead?

I view Jet much the same way. It's the enhancement form of melee.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #35
HeroPenguin

Quote:
I cannot think of an example of a water bender doing things without gestures, but I can think of an example of an earth bender. Since a master for 3 out of the 4 can do it without gestures if necessary I'm willing to guess that a water bender could as well.
What Earthbender does something without gestures? I can't think of a single example there. :/ Unless you're talking about Bumi again, which I have to repeat, was still moving his head.

Quote:
Azula for blue makes sense, but I had never thought of it. To be honest I thought she was Zula :)

I made the lightning burning which wouldn't have knockback. I could go back and make it crushing + incendiary instead?

I view Jet much the same way. It's the enhancement form of melee.
I agree with the design for lightning, it has no history in Avatar of causing knock back. The generic fire blasts, however, do. I figured the fire bending in Avatar was more related to explosive force than simple high-temperature gas. This should make them crushing with Incendiary. Azula's fire likely has the Incendiary enhancement on them TWICE, due to the raw heat of her flames. Keep in mind also that lightning forks chaotically after being launched, making in Inaccurate, and it's also less prone to starting fires, so make sure it's defined as tight-beam burning.

Also, lightning blasts seem to have much more penetrating power behind them than fire blasts. Give them an Armor Divisor, if you don't feel that they should just have more raw power (there's a definite argument in that decision's favor).

I love these invisible replies. XD

Last edited by HeroPenguin; 09-21-2007 at 11:13 PM.
HeroPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:17 PM   #36
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroPenguin
What Earthbender does something without gestures? I can't think of a single example there. :/
In the episode where Aang tries to ransom the baby for King Boomi (Aang's surviving childhood friend), Boomi earth bends even though his body is totally encased in metal with just his face free.

There's a few other cases where very minor gestures are used by Toph.

Quote:
I agree with the design for lightning, it has no history in Avatar of causing knock back.
Ok

Quote:

The generic fire blasts, however, do. I figured the fire bending in Avatar was more related to explosive force than simple high-temperature gas. This should make them crushing with Incendiary. Azula's fire likely has the Incendiary enhancement on them TWICE, due to the raw heat of her flames. Keep in mind also that lightning forks chaotically after being launched, making in Inaccurate, and it's also less prone to starting fires, so make sure it's defined as tight-beam burning.

I made two types of fire attacks since I wasn't sure. Fireballs are just burning but you can rapid fire them. Blasts are crushing w/incendiary. I could add double incendiary but what would that do?

I could make lightning more inaccurate (down to Acc 0) but I've already subtracted one from the acc.

Quote:

Also, lightning blasts seem to have much more penetrating power behind them than fire blasts. Give them an Armor Divisor, if you don't feel that they should just have more raw power (there's a definite argument in that decision's favor).

I love these invisible replies. XD

Armor Divisors are of questionable value in this setting. Armor isn't really used much and Power Parries are already more powerful than Power Blocks.

I did give it Stunning which I thought would be very useful. Basically anyone wounded makes a HT-dmg roll or is stunned. I play that you're stunned for the amount of sec you fail by so that can put you out of the combat.

And, yes, there's something about an invisible thread. Fnord.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:33 AM   #37
HeroPenguin

Quote:
In the episode where Aang tries to ransom the baby for King Boomi (Aang's surviving childhood friend), Boomi earth bends even though his body is totally encased in metal with just his face free.

There's a few other cases where very minor gestures are used by Toph.
Those are still minimal gestures, as opposed to none. Perhaps the best compromise would simply allowing Air and Fire benders to take some (limited) abilities defined as Breath Attacks. It still "requires gestures", but the gesture is based on breathing instead of flailing. In any case, I no longer remember the point of the discrepancy! XD

Quote:

I made two types of fire attacks since I wasn't sure. Fireballs are just burning but you can rapid fire them. Blasts are crushing w/incendiary. I could add double incendiary but what would that do?
Double Incendiary is sort of a rip from Powers. It states that you can take Incendiary for Burning Attacks, and that effectively bumps up the flammability class of anything it hits. Since Incendiary makes any type of attack have the same fire-starting properties as a vanilla burning attack, allowing those to take two levels of the enhancement seems reasonable to produce similar effects.

Quote:
Armor Divisors are of questionable value in this setting. Armor isn't really used much and Power Parries are already more powerful than Power Blocks.

I did give it Stunning which I thought would be very useful. Basically anyone wounded makes a HT-dmg roll or is stunned. I play that you're stunned for the amount of sec you fail by so that can put you out of the combat.

And, yes, there's something about an invisible thread. Fnord.
That's a good point about AD. I hadn't really considered that aspect. I'm not sure if this is kosher, but I think I would allow Armor Divisors to affect parrying abilities as well as DR. If their whole point is superior penetration, doesn't it make sense that it should penetrate a flying boulder as well as it penetrates a rock wall? Stunning is definitely good for the ability, you'll get no argument form me there.

Now that one of us has posted essentially an ENTIRE post length in fnord-cut, I think it's time to drop it. As amusing as it was, it's bound to be irritating to everyone else, and we don't want to kill this thread...
Old 09-22-2007, 03:15 AM   #38
Blood Legend

Lightning attacks should have the heartattack side effect. Iroh was very careful in instructing Zuko to redirect lightning through his stomach and not his heart.

So there ya go, the benefit of lightning attacks are stunning and possible instant kills.

(Fnords added. *grin* --Beth)

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Archangel Beth; 09-22-2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Adding spoiler fnords!
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:26 AM   #39
HeroPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend
Lightning attacks should have the heartattack side effect. Iroh was very careful in instructing Zuko to redirect lightning through his stomach and not his heart.

So there ya go, the benefit of lightning attacks are stunning and possible instant kills.
Agreed, but watch the spoilers, eh BL? Tanks.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:36 PM   #40
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Season 2 things:

I'm considering revising a few things about fire bending. Does Zula use lighting or a fire type attack of higher intensity? I thought it was the former, but the commentary says the latter.
Answering in fnords.
Azula uses lightning -- remember when Iroh re-directs the lightning that's about to strike their tall metal ship? He does the same trick when Azula is about to zot Zuko, in the episode that ends with Zuko and Iroh cutting their hair and officially going renegade. Later, Iroh specifically tries to teach lightning-bending to Zuko (because, doh, he can do it himself!), who just can't master the technique.

Also, in the last episode of season 2, where she shoots Aang? There's a lightning-strike pattern that goes from his heel to his back (or vice versa) -- when I researched lightning strikes a while back for some fiction I was writing, I believe it was mentioned that there'd be an "entry" and "exit" pattern as the lightning grounded itself. I could have forgotten, mind, but I noticed the heel and back marks and thought that a lovely little detail.

So while Azula may use some "blue fire," she also definitely uses lightning.

Tags
avatar, avatar the last airbender