Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #21
William

Default Re: Avatar: Last Airbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth
The king of Omashu (Boomi?) demonstrated early in season 2 that he could bend without anything free at all.
They left his chin! ^_^
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #22
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:

• Metal Bending: Control Metal* (Bending -10%) [18/lvl].
Shouldn't this be at least a ** ability?

In Imprisoned (Ep 1.6) the fire nation thinks metalbending is impossible.

In The Guru (Ep 2.19) Xin Fu traps Toph in a metal cage he tells her “You might think you’re the greatest earthbender in the world, but even you can’t bend metal”. This suggests she is the first metalbender ever.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #23
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Avatar Kyoshi lived 230 years making her the oldest Avatar in history.
The Avatar package might include Extended Lifespan 1 [2]; Longevity [2].
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #24
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead
Shouldn't this be at least a ** ability?
Yes... I'll fix that.
Quote:
The Avatar package might include Extended Lifespan 1 [2]; Longevity [2].
In general these people seem long lived. Aang ran into one of his childhood friends (King Boomi).

I tend to ignore age related things. Other than someone intentionally designing an old character it rarely comes up in my games.

Last edited by naloth; 09-21-2007 at 10:10 AM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #25
Dalillama

Quote:
The king of Omashu (Boomi?) demonstrated early in season 2 that he could bend without anything free at all. I figure high enough skill allows you to try though I've altered between -6 and -10.

K, sounds good.
Iroh also heats his tea, and other things using firebending, but with no visible gestures.

As a note, I might add a few points worth of Modular Ability to the bender templates, with the standard bending limitations, in order to simulate minor tricks like drying yourself/belongings (air, water and fire bender, by different means), heating cold tea/food(firebender) etc.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #26
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Except Firebending is "based on breath" and the Dragon of the West demonstrates his firebreath a few times... (As does Zuko, once or twice, plus blowing smoke from his nose at least once when he's annoyed.)

EDIT: I'm leaving those up 'cause they're not huge spoilers, and it's a minor throwaway from a season 1 ep that Zuko blows smoke puffs. (Soooo cute, Zuzu!) I will, however, put in spoilerfont for chunks of the rest.

Boomi did have his face free, and makes chin gestures to do his imprisoned Earthbending.

Yeah, Toph is the first metalbender. I love that. Aang may have all four elements, but Toph gets metal.
(Or, to semi-quote a LJ icon I saw: The entirety of the Bei Fong family's wealth is due to the fact that Toph invented and patented Awesome.)

(And yes, there's
lightning-bending -- plasma-bending, really -- in Season 2.)

...I want to see the first episode of season 3... *cry*

EDIT: We don't have Nick in our cable line-up. And iTunes doesn't have Season 3 available to subscribe to yet! ARGH!

Last edited by Archangel Beth; 09-21-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Archangel Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #27
HeroPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
Except Firebending is "based on breath" and the Dragon of the West demonstrates his firebreath a few times... (As does Zuko, once or twice, plus blowing smoke from his nose at least once when he's annoyed.) Clipped to remove the spoilers I just hid in mine --Beth ...I want to see the first episode of season 3... *cry*
TONIGHT! AH-CHACHACHACHACHACHA!

Btw, I was going to say all of that yesterday, but I decided that my post wasn't going anywhere and was too spoilery. That's hilarious to me that a mod went ahead and pwned that notion in the face. XD

Last edited by Archangel Beth; 09-21-2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Clipped to remove the spoilers I just coded out of mine
HeroPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #28
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

What, there are people out there who haven't seen seasons one and two yet?

Tsk. I'll go see if I can put in a spoiler-cut, then.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #29
Kirby

Yes! Yes there are. And I'm dying to read the fnorded text, but I shall be strong.

(A friend of mine bought season 1 for me two weeks ago, promising that I'd go out and buy s2 after I finished it. He was right, but I haven't had a chance yet.)

--K
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #30
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama
Iroh also heats his tea, and other things using firebending, but with no visible gestures.

As a note, I might add a few points worth of Modular Ability to the bender templates, with the standard bending limitations, in order to simulate minor tricks like drying yourself/belongings (air, water and fire bender, by different means), heating cold tea/food(firebender) etc.
Most of these tricks sound like very small applications of existing powers. My take:
Control Water would let you flush the water from your clothes.
Control Air would let you blow dry yourself.
Innate Attack Fire w/variable lets you fine-tune the amount of heat you can create so heating your tea isn't a big deal (much like the Human Torch pops his own popcorn in the first FF movie).

I cannot recall if Zuko heat dried his own clothes during episode 19. I figured that was a better case for temperature tolerance which he didn't have enough of.

As for the Breath vs Gestures most fire benders - even Zuko and Zula - do make elaborate gestures. Iroh seems to get by on minimal gestures but he's obviously a master (he invents his own techniques!).

Season 2 things:

I'm considering revising a few things about fire bending. Does Zula use lighting or a fire type attack of higher intensity? I thought it was the former, but the commentary says the latter.

Iroh's trick at the palace was cool, but it's easiest to as a combination of IA: Jet and Whirlwind Attack. As maneuver that requires an AoA and defaults to skill-5 it's not something most fighters would attempt.

Zuko uses really long fire whips. Do the melee enhancements (dual) apply to Jet? Melee: 1-4 just doesn't have that range.

Last edited by naloth; 09-21-2007 at 04:24 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar, avatar the last airbender