Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
RobKamm

Default [MH2] Acrobatic Guard

This rule seems to have been written with a single-attack opponent in mind. If the attacker has multiple attacks does the AG count against all of the attacks or just the first one?
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: [MH2] Acrobatic Guard

If you win, that one foe has a penalty on all rolls to attack you on his next turn. It's a "versus one foe" move, not a "versus one attack" one.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

It comes from Action 2, which itself borrowed from Dungeon Fantasy 2, which was inspired by Martial Arts. Rules-wise, it's nothing more than a defensive feint using the Acrobatics skill. See Defensive Feints and Feints Using Non-Combat Skills on p. 101 of Martial Arts.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Rules-wise, it's nothing more than a defensive feint using the Acrobatics skill.
I thought I recognized it :) It's a fun idea.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
RobKamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It comes from Action 2, which itself borrowed from Dungeon Fantasy 2, which was inspired by Martial Arts. Rules-wise, it's nothing more than a defensive feint using the Acrobatics skill. See Defensive Feints and Feints Using Non-Combat Skills on p. 101 of Martial Arts.
That's it. No more reading at 10:54 PM -- if I can't make those connections I shouldn't be trying to absorb anything. Thanks for pointing them out.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
quarkstomper

When I read the title of the thread, I thought it meant that the mook standing watch over the palace gate you want to sneak through has mad wire-fu skills.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Doesn't allowing anybody to do this invalidate the "Acrobatic Feints" perk on MA 51?
It doesn't invalidate it, it means everyone in such settings is treated as having it for free. That said, the ideas you list for differentiating Perk vs No Perk in such settings could work. Note this doesn't mean you should assume such rules would work in every game - that's up to the GM, and the default is no Acrobatic Feints without the Perk.

Quote:
There also appears to be a subtle difference between the DH/MH version [...] and the the Action version
That's more just making things more clear than an actual intended mechanical difference, I believe.

Quote:
I've always been a bit unclear about the range of defensive feints: whether it works against any attacks so long as the attacker is in range of the weapon you're feinting with? But the Action version seems to imply even if someone is shooting at you from 2 yards away (and you can melee with a whip at 4 yards) that it wouldn't help... which kinda sucks because I think relying on defensive feints to make guns miss is a great idea and it'd be nice if that worked at any range.
I wouldn't allow most Defensive Feints to work on a foe attacking you at range, although I might make an exception for Acrobatics. However, I'd let it work (against both melee and ranged attacks) so long as the foe gets within your Step-and-Attack range sometime during his (or your) action - actual combat isn't nearly as neat and staggered as is represented in GURPS, so a Feint you throw when the foe is 5 yards away on the battle map may represent an action you took when he was only 2 yards away during his charge.

Tags
acrobatic guard, mh2, monster hunters, rev. pee kitty