Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Orion Deckrect

Default Religion: rules clarification

Sorry, people... i am using 3rd edition Gurps Religion and theres something not clear to me.

It says that High Sanctity areas replenish the priests fatigue expenditure instantly. But does the priest (or the ritual) need to be able to empower the spell cast or the priest may make virtually any spell?

For example, on making an Alter visage spell for permanent effect. It costs 40 points of fatigue. May the priest simply cast the spell, having no fatigue cost, or must he/she gather a congregation (perhaps 4 people) able to give a total of 40 points of fatigue and after the ritual, no one looses these points because they were replenished?

If a single priest may cast any cost spell, these places may be used to do anything. If you need to be able to supply the energy, even if not loosing it, things changes, because you need rituals end congregation.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Religion: rules clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Deckrect View Post
It says that High Sanctity areas replenish the priests fatigue expenditure instantly. But does the priest (or the ritual) need to be able to empower the spell cast
This, precisely so that you can't cast any spell without worrying about cost.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Deckrect View Post
It says that High Sanctity areas replenish the priests fatigue expenditure instantly. But does the priest (or the ritual) need to be able to empower the spell cast or the priest may make virtually any spell?
The priest (and any assistants and followers) must be able to generate enough fatigue for the spell in one second (regardless of how long the casting time is), or the spell won't work. The fact there there is an "instant recharge" after the spell is cast does not affect how much fatigue must be generated to cast the spell.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Orion Deckrect

First, sorry for the mistake. Its not High Sanctity, but Very High Sanctity!

And, yes, copeab, i was supposing the characters should be able to have the raw energy at hand, even if after the casting it is replenished instantly.

Thanks for the support.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
malloyd

This rule is borrowed directly from Very High Mana, which has the same effect on magical spells, and is indeed intended to prevent you from casting incredibly expensive spells (e.g. an area spell covering the entire universe...).

But remember areas of Very High Sanctity are pretty much limited to the inner sanctum of your god's favorite temples or something, and Power Investiture based spells only work with your god's approval. If there is ever a case he's going to bend the rules for you, casting a spell he wants to work in his holy of holies is going to be it.

Tags
religion, sanctity