Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #91
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Star Wars Stormtroopers in Real Armor [Ultratech]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Y
Yeah, I agree that the log trick might actually work against a lightly constructed mecha. .
The Mythbusters recontructed that one usign a contemporary (Brinks-type) armored car to represent the cabin of the AT-ST. Grant calculated that was 2 megajoules of energy in the trap and it did indeed squash the armored car.

The sideplates came off their frame and grossly deformed in the middle tot he point of meeting on both sides. I think any slab-sided vehicle would have sufferred the same fate. After all, who builds to met that kind of attack?

The real question is "How did the Ewoks set up that big a trap?". The logs weighed 10,000 lbs.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #92
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The real question is "How did the Ewoks set up that big a trap?". The logs weighed 10,000 lbs.
...Yet more evidence for the "Ewoks have ST 40" theory...
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #93
AlexanderHowl

Pulleys and lots of Ewoks? If we assume that they have ST 5, they would probably need over two hundred Ewoks.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #94
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Reading this I am wondering if their training is too rigid, so they deal with standard expected situations well, but are not good at improvising when things go wrong.
That is presented exactly so in some of the material. The original clone troopers were Hidebound, while the new recruits are political fanatics with varying backgrounds acting as a gendarme force. The Emperor tries to mitigate this with quality leadership, in the form of veteran Army captains and CoreSec officers, but this breaks down quickly when the lines of command are disrupted.

The true power of Stormtroopers is that if Vader or the Emperor says, "You, number 25, shoot Moff Tarkin," that trooper will shoot Moff Tarkin on the bridge of a Star Destroyer and ask questions later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Yeah, but being chased through the corridors of their own base by one man armed only with a pistol is more than 'third-tier troops' will cover. The scene is played for comic relief and really makes no sense in a serious setting. The trouble is that ANH alternates between serious and silly. It worked OK in that first movie, in fact the combo was almost magic, but it left the foundations weak when they tried to build an epic saga on it.
Princess Leia: They let us go. It was the only reason for the ease of our escape.

Han Solo: Easy? You call that easy?

Princess Leia: They're tracking us.

Han Solo: Not this ship, sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Pulleys and lots of Ewoks? If we assume that they have ST 5, they would probably need over two hundred Ewoks.
I've always assumed ST 11. Not quite chimp strength, but more than their package would suggest.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #95
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Princess Leia: They let us go. It was the only reason for the ease of our escape.

Han Solo: Easy? You call that easy?

Princess Leia: They're tracking us.

Han Solo: Not this ship, sister.
That makes perfect sense. They weren't running from Han Solo; they were running from Darth Vader(s' wrath if the plan didn't go off).
Old 08-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #96
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Winches and pulleys. I think a better question, given the time it would take, is "Why did the Ewoks have all these lethal and expensive traps just lying around, already set up?"

I'm guessing megafauna. This also explains why the forest floor is so open.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #97
AlexanderHowl

Ewoks are probably TL0, so they are too primitive to have winches and pulleys.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #98
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Which means that they did not haul those heavy things into place and the imperials went uncrushed. :)

I'm afraid that the Ewoks have to be more than TL0 in some areas. Even if they only get he _good_ version of the Acme catalog I think mail order is a technology too. Probably TL5 verging on 6. Then of course you add a ^ for Interstellar/Interdimensional.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #99
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Winches and pulleys. I think a better question, given the time it would take, is "Why did the Ewoks have all these lethal and expensive traps just lying around, already set up?"

I'm guessing megafauna. This also explains why the forest floor is so open.
I think one of the "Forces of Destiny" shorts ran with that theory.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #100
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
The stone age includes both the caves-and-throw-spears that everyone is familiar with, as well as primitive cities of a few thousand, agriculture, and organized warfare.

Winches and pulleys are not impossible at TL0; just somewhat impractical, given the difficulty in making sufficiently adequate *rope.

* Wait for someone to come in here with an post on stone-age rope...

Edit: Also, the Ewoks had catapults; those catapults had rope. Ergo, Ewoks could make good rope.