Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2020, 02:05 AM   #21
Anders

Default Re: Blind Teleport into a Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I like to simplify as well, but when you're forcibly relocating others at a distance it should be treated as an attack of some kind.
Eh. Just have it not work for living beings.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:46 AM   #22
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Eh. Just have it not work for living beings.
That still seems a bit unfair to the vampires and robots.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:02 AM   #23
Anders

Well, for a +100% enhancement... that's 100 points. You can get a lot of fun stuff for a 100 points. Maybe +300% to have it work with living beings.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #24
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I like to simplify as well, but when you're forcibly relocating others at a distance it should be treated as an attack of some kind.
It could just have a built in contest ala Malediction for living things, which in turn would let willing targets choose not to resist.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:55 PM   #25
Agemegos

Quote:
There used to be an enhancement called "castling" in the old Psionics book (for 3rd edition). You switched place with whatever was at the place you teleported to. Allowed for the creation of remarkably realistic statues.
!

I am trying not to imagine finding myself completely enclosed in a skintight (cornea tight!) cavity in stone. Roll on the fright table!

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:11 PM   #26
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I am trying not to imagine finding myself completely enclosed in a skintight (cornea tight!) cavity in stone. Roll on the fright table!
You should be quite well protected. If you survived the castling process, that is.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #27
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
You should be quite well protected. If you survived the castling process, that is.
From everything except suffocation, *claustrophobia, and whatever strain injuries you gain from voluntary or involuntary attempts at movement.

* I think, if you did not have it before, you would have it now.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #28
Plane

I think this might built on uncertainty we have to what happens to matter that was occupying the space that someone Warps into, and vice versa what happens to the space the character used to occupy.

B98 Hyperjump doesn't need to know since you actually travel through intervening spaces.

P89 Tunnel similarly doesn't need to know because you're bending space but not swapping space.

In either case you can just push aside stuff like air molecules or water molecules.

But in an instantaneous swap it makes you wonder:
1) do new-location molecules swap places with your former location?
2) do new location molecules move outward from your centre of mass?

In the first case, if you teleport into a swimming pool, the water level would not rise because the water formerly there is gone, but you would make a splash at your former location.

In the 2nd case, the water level would rise and a vacuum would be briefly left at your former location, until the air molecules filled it in, which would lower the air pressure if it was a sealed room.

Complications would arise in the 2nd case if you were doing stuff like teleporting into a sealed box of water though, because if you're occupying 90% of that box then the water pressure is probably going to rise 10x possibly injuring you or damaging the box.

On the other hand, the 1st case is complicated since you're also teleporting-back some stuff to make way, so some guy teleporting into a volcano would get some free lava attack back where he left.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #29
Ottriman

I recall answering this very question in one of my games in a way that hasn't been done so far.

Basically enough force is exerted on the wall to forcefully move it aside just enough to fit the incoming object. But then becasue of newtons laws, there is an equal and opposite reaction that strives to implode the incoming object.

Thus say you teleported into the wall, you'd do enough damage to destroy a you-sized piece of it.... But would also take that much damage.

My players balked at the implications and became very nervous of teleportation pads. After all, walls usually have huge amounts of hp and DR, even compared to their power armor.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #30
Plane

Quote:
There used to be an enhancement called "castling" in the old Psionics book (for 3rd edition). You switched place with whatever was at the place you teleported to. Allowed for the creation of remarkably realistic statues.
Without this, we need some other explanation of what happens to water if you teleport into the water. If you push aside water like you presumably push aside air, then you presumably could push aside leaves or a wall to make space for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottriman View Post
I recall answering this very question in one of my games in a way that hasn't been done so far.

Basically enough force is exerted on the wall to forcefully move it aside just enough to fit the incoming object. But then becasue of newtons laws, there is an equal and opposite reaction that strives to implode the incoming object.

Thus say you teleported into the wall, you'd do enough damage to destroy a you-sized piece of it.... But would also take that much damage.

My players balked at the implications and became very nervous of teleportation pads. After all, walls usually have huge amounts of hp and DR, even compared to their power armor.
How much force do you think moving aside air molecules or water molecules would take, compared to teleporting into a vacuum?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
castling