Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2020, 06:09 PM   #4951
Astromancer

Default Re: Tollerances

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Popping in late, this means that difference engines must be located deep underground where temperature and humidity are uniform all the time. Like in caves or under temples. And the programmers are a natural for secret societies full of hidden lore...
The Y2K book they put out made lots of hay about secret computer societies. Look it up.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:18 AM   #4952
Astromancer

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Try this one...

While reading Fairies: A Dangerous History I came on the Cottenley Fairies. Thie book I was reading and the incident inspired this...

On this Q6 low manna world the events of the "Cottenley Fairies" incident are working out much like they did on Homeline with the exception that both Elsie Wight and Francis Griffiths are powerful unconscious Psis with the Ectoplasmic Projection power at a high level. Both of the girls, sensing Mr. Doyle's decency and his pain (ACD lost both a brother and a son in WWI) are unconsciously doing their best to please him by manifesting the fairies. Making things worse, a Cabalist, who is aware of what's really going on, is working to enhance the girl's unconscious powers and cause them to channel in "REAL FAIRIES!"

As things spin out of control and the manifestations of the girl's powers become stronger and more dangerous Centrum agents have decided that the whole business needs to come to a firm stop. They've sent an assassin to eliminate Conan Doyle and the young ladies.

Your job as Homeline agents is simple. Protect the innocent and shut down the out time interference.

Ancora Imparo
Old 08-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #4953
Prince Charon

Do we have a 4e write-up for Ectoplasmic Projection? The only one I'm aware of other than the one in 3e is an idea I had (or have seen) that was pretty much 'Ally (Summonable; Minion)' or 'Modular Abilities (only for Allies with Summonable and Minion).'

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #4954
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Do we have a 4e write-up for Ectoplasmic Projection? The only one I'm aware of other than the one in 3e is an idea I had (or have seen) that was pretty much 'Ally (Summonable; Minion)' or 'Modular Abilities (only for Allies with Summonable and Minion).'
That is a serious slip up on my part. These "Faeries" are not under any conscious control by Elsie and Francis, and the longer things go on, the more alien these "Faeries" are.

Ancora Imparo
Old 08-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #4955
David Johansen

London Calling

The year is 1977 and the British Isles are under fascist rule. Amelia McIntyre is the "Iron Lady" a ruthless dictator who feeds the creme of the British people into the war with the Americas and the deadly working conditions of the mines. But a new movement is rising to contend with the ruthless government storm troopers. A musical movement called "Punk Rock."
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:16 PM   #4956
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
That is a serious slip up on my part. These "Faeries" are not under any conscious control by Elsie and Francis, and the longer things go on, the more alien these "Faeries" are.
A couple years ago, I made up a character whose power was either summoning ally fairies, or creating psychic projections of them. I wanted it vague in setting on which version was the truth.
But I love the idea of them either becoming real or acting as a gateway for real fey. Just a hint "spoopy-Lovecraftian".
Old 08-12-2020, 03:18 AM   #4957
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
A couple years ago, I made up a character whose power was either summoning ally fairies, or creating psychic projections of them. I wanted it vague in setting on which version was the truth.
But I love the idea of them either becoming real or acting as a gateway for real fey. Just a hint "spoopy-Lovecraftian".
Kind of like thoughtforms ('The Tulpa,' from GURPS Horror p81, so we do have a template for them). I'm sure that there's a modifier that can be added to Allies that conveys 'the ally can become more independent as it grows in power.' Probably too troublesome for a Nuisance Effect; perhaps a lesser variant of Minion?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #4958
Astromancer

Try this one...

A famous incident called Miracle of the House of Brandenburg on Homeline preserved Prussia's exsistance. But on this Q6 low manna parallel a Cabalist at the court of Elizabeth of Russia seems to have greatly improved her health. Thus, the Russo-Austrian victory at Kunderdorf was agressively followed up. Prussia has basically ceased to exist.

The total removal of a great power from 18th century Europe is a vast change. Centrum wants to ensure the rise of the British Empire and prevent the existance of the USA. They fear Russian rule extending west into the German lands.

Meanwhile, the Cabal has gained serious power in Russia. What do they plan to do with it?

Ancora Imparo
Old 08-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #4959
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Try this one...

A famous incident called Miracle of the House of Brandenburg on Homeline preserved Prussia's exsistance. But on this Q6 low manna parallel a Cabalist at the court of Elizabeth of Russia seems to have greatly improved her health. Thus, the Russo-Austrian victory at Kunderdorf was agressively followed up. Prussia has basically ceased to exist.
That one has some serious cascade potential. I'm not sure if a crushing defeat in the european war effects Britain's assent to oceanic dominance during the 7 years war.

I'm not sure if this actually destroys prussia though. The Austrians will take silesia, but the russians have the polish-lithianian commonwealth in the way, though that entity is extremely weak and in our timeline will be partitioned into nothingness within 50 years. I suppose you could have sweden claim some of the northern lands, but then you may have just replaced prussia with Sweden. Though if you just put prussia back 15 years of growth, that may have serious consequences later down the line.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:36 PM   #4960
AlexanderHowl

If the Tsarina had lived another seven years (until her sixtieth birthday), she would have likely put aside her nephew (Peter III) in favor of his son (Paul I). With her reign extended another seven years, she would have gained East Prussia during the settlement of the Seven Years War and the rest of Prussia would have come under the authority of Austria again. Without Prussia as an independent nation, history changes quite a bit from then on.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited