Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
drhippensteel

Default Need Zeppelin Data

We are starting a Steampunk based campaign but we can't find information on the various airships made by the various nations. Does anyone know what books that might be contained in?
drhippensteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Need Zeppelin Data

I don't think any comprehensive catalogues of airships have been produced. There are some in Vehicles: Steampunk Conveyances, available via digital telegraph at Warehouse 23.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Rupert

Unless you need exact details, I'd just look up size, payload, speed, range, etc. on the net. Wikipedia has details of a fair number of models, for example.

Note that they are actually quite hard to set on fire with guns unless you have incendiary bullets, so in the event someone decides to shoot one up you'll probably want to ignore damage to the gas envelopes until after the fight, at which point it can be a plot point - "You drove off the warlord's fighters, but it's become apparent that they've put enough holes in the gas envelopes that you are now losing altitude and will hit the ground in a few hours if something isn't done."

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."

Last edited by Rupert; 07-27-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #4
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
"You drove off the warlords fighters, but it's become apparent that they've put enough holes in the gas envelopes that you are now losing altitude and hit the ground in a few hours if something isn't done."
And thus the discerning gentleman or lady can see, in concise form, why the newfangled aeroplane is an entirely unsafe conveyance for the traveller. While possibly an adept machine of war, it cannot be said to be suitable for the passenger; should almost any problem arise, disaster is sure to swiftly follow.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
dcarson

There are at least two zeppelin floor plans on e23.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #6
drhippensteel

Thanks for the info about the conveyance book. Will get it and see how much it helps!
drhippensteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:44 AM   #7
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Unless you need exact details, I'd just look up size, payload, speed, range, etc. on the net. Wikipedia has details of a fair number of models, for example.
Indeed. Converting the real-world numbers from Wikipedia isn’t too hard. That’s what I did with the Zeppelin in Steampunk Conveyances, anyway.

Quote:
Note that they are actually quite hard to set on fire with guns unless you have incendiary bullets...
And even incendiary machine-gun bullets don’t seem to have been very effective for the job. However, WWI-style fighters that know they’re going to be tackling airships, with some experience of the problem, may well mount rockets for the purpose. And if you’ve got guns big enough to fire explosive shells, and can bring them to bear, airships are in trouble.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #8
Fred Brackin

[QUOTE=Phil Masters;2335573 However, WWI-style fighters that know they’re going to be tackling airships, with some experience of the problem, may well mount rockets for the purpose. .[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of this being done historically. There was an anti-submarine weapon created for the Swordfish called the Rocket Lance or something similar. It was big enough to carry a warhead but actually made do with a heavy metal spearhead. When atacking a U-boat on the surface it was enough to make a significant hole in the hull. No more "Dive! Dive! Dive!" after that.

What I have heard of WWI fghters using was a 25 lb anti-Zepopelin bomb. Much like the Rocket Lance the goal was probably to make a significant hole in a gasbag and start the H2 mixing with atmospheric O2. Then a spark would make a lot of trouble.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:17 AM   #9
ravenfish

A quick google finds a Wikipedia article about a design of rocket used "against observation balloons and airships":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Prieur_rocket
Old 07-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
And even incendiary machine-gun bullets don’t seem to have been very effective for the job. However, WWI-style fighters that know they’re going to be tackling airships, with some experience of the problem, may well mount rockets for the purpose. And if you’ve got guns big enough to fire explosive shells, and can bring them to bear, airships are in trouble.
In WWI the British fighters had little incendiary bombs with hooks on them. They'd try to fly above the Zeppelin and drop them so they'd catch on it and then set fire to it. It worked about as well as filling them full of tracer/incendiary, which is to say "not very". However, they managed to set enough on fire that the Germans switched to Gothas, so there's that.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote