Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #51
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Replicating TK from differing fictional sources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
So clair-olfaction should cost little for everyone because humans don't have discriminatory smell, and those with it already paid for the privilege?
Clairsentience (Clairsomia, -60%) [20] is RAW. It is described as "Only your sense of smell is displaced." (GURPS Basic, pg 42)

There is no extra charge (per RAW) if you happen to have a better sense of smell, just as there is no extra discount (per RAW) if you happen to have a worse sense of smell. Only that your sense of smell is displaced.

And, so, thereby ... You are correct. Clairsomia costs [20] for everyone.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #52
Flyndaran
Untagged

Ok, that makes sense. I don't remember seeing that power. But then I do have so many wonderful books to stuff into my moderately sized brain.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #53
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Ok, that makes sense. I don't remember seeing that power. But then I do have so many wonderful books to stuff into my moderately sized brain.
Heh. GCA and a searchable PDF library makes finding the little details easy. I know that I'd not be able to run the game beyond the most basic level without access to my external brain(s). So many little thingies scattered all over the place.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #54
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Heh. GCA and a searchable PDF library makes finding the little details easy. I know that I'd not be able to run the game beyond the most basic level without access to my external brain(s). So many little thingies scattered all over the place.
I only have small pdf books, but there have been times that word search function has made impossible searches trivial.
But I would still need to know to look.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #55
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
But for Clairsentience, Clairsentience is an excellent precedent. ;)

Even not counting Clairvoyance, the other two senses add up to more than the base cost of the full power because of overlapping utility. So it's pretty consistent with the rest of the power.
Something can't be a precedent for itself. And Clairsentience, as written, does not provide a model for either taking away one sense nor for adding a new one. Anyway, I was just making a cautionary point. If you use those guidelines, you might want to either reduce the cost of Remote Touch as a solitary ability, or bump the cost of it as an enhancement.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #56
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Something can't be a precedent for itself. And Clairsentience, as written, does not provide a model for either taking away one sense nor for adding a new one. Anyway, I was just making a cautionary point. If you use those guidelines, you might want to either reduce the cost of Remote Touch as a solitary ability, or bump the cost of it as an enhancement.
Ontological paradoxes are the Mr. Bubble I bathe in each and every evening, except yesterday evening.

I don't totally agree, but your point is a good one for people to keep in mind.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #57
ssveter

I was wondering about some different uses of psychokinesis. One thought I had was using TK to squeeze a victims heart, essentially a heart attack.

My first inclination is to go with an affliction attack modified with malediction.
Am I on the right track? Another variant would be "choke"

Yet at the same time this same person could use their TK to simply reach in and snap bones maybe small ones at first to be evil.

A TKer with physician and physiology could "visualize" this to make use of the power and skills.
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #58
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssveter View Post
I was wondering about some different uses of psychokinesis. One thought I had was using TK to squeeze a victims heart, essentially a heart attack.

My first inclination is to go with an affliction attack modified with malediction.
Am I on the right track? Another variant would be "choke"

Yet at the same time this same person could use their TK to simply reach in and snap bones maybe small ones at first to be evil.

A TKer with physician and physiology could "visualize" this to make use of the power and skills.
TK Crush, from Psionic Powers pg 54, can be used in a similar fashion. It's a ranged Malediction that deals 1 damage per level [cost 5cp/lv]. Two psionic techniques available for it allow the TKer to squeeze the brain (inflicting half normal damage, but triggering a seizure once the target takes HP/2 damage) or the throat (as above, triggering choking). Those are both Symptoms, meaning they take effect automatically at a certain damage threshold; a Heart Attack is a Mortal Condition, and thus can't be done as a Symptom. Instead, use Side Effect, rolling the victim's HT every second they take damage (at a penalty of -1/2 the most recent damage, not based on the total).

You can either build this as a unique psionic attack (at +300% for Heart Attack, +50% for Side Effect) or as a psionic technique. As a technique, +350% translates into a crippling -35 penalty. If you halve the damage as above this becomes a more manageable -18 (at least, I think that's how it's figured; someone can correct me if I'm wrong). Still, you may want to look at making it a Secondary Effect, only triggered on a HT Crit Fail, with Stun as the Primary. For a full-damage attack this totals +110% (50+[300/5]), or -11 as a technique.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
telekinesis