Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #21
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: TK and Telegraphing attacks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Golem View Post
Yeah, I know. I need to start putting myself in the PC's position when it comes to looking at the point cost of certain things. And they'll have to remember that what goes around, comes around. Though there isn't a place for opposing Psis (yet), when the time comes, the same tactics should only be fair. Right?
Sure, but this is also why I require my players to take Power modifiers on their abilities, like Magic/Psi, that way I have mundane as well as magical counters.

After all, wearing that tin foil hat does make the conspiracy loon immune to mind reading, and that quartz necklace and armor beads does make that warrior immune to TK, and the cinnamon smoke made that letter immune to clairvoyance, etc.

If a power is common in the world, then there should be known mundane counters to that power too, that's where that -10% Magic/Psi power modifier comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Golem View Post
I am aware of the 10yd range, in fact the player has added additional range and an area effect to the cost. What I'm unsure of is any modifiers to skill for using said effect at a distance. The range/speed modifiers are mentioned for throwing things with TK, but is there any effect for the melee portion. The best I've received so far is requiring a Perception roll.
If you're operating at a distance, then distance modifiers apply normally, even within those 10 yards it's easier to hit something 1 yard away, than 10 yards away which is at -4 to hit.

There's no difference in difficulty between trying to throw a rock at someone 100 yards away or to throw a TK punch at someone 100 yards away, they are both at -10 to hit.

Just because the special effect of a hit is a melee attack doesn't give it immunity from range modifiers.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #22
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
If a power is common in the world, then there should be known mundane counters to that power too, that's where that -10% Magic/Psi power modifier comes in.
I thought it was the existence of an Anti-Psi power and Anti-Psi technology that got Psi it's -10%.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #23
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
I thought it was the existence of an Anti-Psi power and Anti-Psi technology that got Psi it's -10%.
Anti-psi technology is superscience which can be as readily available at TL 3 as crystal mundane counters as at TL 12 as electromagnetic generated force fields.

Superscience items are just magic items by another name and should be tailored to fit the setting's TL as needed.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #24
vitruvian

Quote:
If you're operating at a distance, then distance modifiers apply normally, even within those 10 yards it's easier to hit something 1 yard away, than 10 yards away which is at -4 to hit.

There's no difference in difficulty between trying to throw a rock at someone 100 yards away or to throw a TK punch at someone 100 yards away, they are both at -10 to hit.

Just because the special effect of a hit is a melee attack doesn't give it immunity from range modifiers.
Would you apply distance modifiers to somebody performing melee attacks with Stretching?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #25
Mathulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Would you apply distance modifiers to somebody performing melee attacks with Stretching?
I would, in fact I have. I didn't realised you weren't supposed to penalise all attacks for range.
Mumble...mumble...jet...mumble.
Mathulhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #26
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
I would, in fact I have. I didn't realised you weren't supposed to penalise all attacks for range.
Mumble...mumble...jet...mumble.
What about somebody who has a longer reach due to high Size Modifier?

;-)
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #27
Mathulhu

Quote:

;-)
I have yet to deal with that but probably yes. In that-other-games large creatures get a penalty when attacking smaller ones and the absence of something equivalent seemed odd.
However that would be off set by the bonus to hit another large creature.
Ooh, a small thing could get a bonus for being closer to off set the penulty for attacking anther small creature.
Mathulhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #28
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:

;-)
Of course.

Large creatures get bonuses for SM and if they're using large hex size weapons, but like anything, they don't have as easy a time in hitting something far away as they do in hitting something closer.
(Unless they're farsighted, but that's another issue.)

Just because you can reach something with a 100' pole in melee range doesn't mean you don't suffer from range penalties.

Or on a more common melee usage, if you're hitting someone with a 10' pole with reach 3, and that person is 3 yards away, then you have the same -1 to hit that you do if you shoot them or throw something at them at the same range.

In other words, calling something melee is not a free cheat to avoid range penalties, no freebie cheats allowed in GURPS.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #29
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
I have yet to deal with that but probably yes. In that-other-games large creatures get a penalty when attacking smaller ones and the absence of something equivalent seemed odd.
Uh, you do know that large creatures DO get a penalty when attacking smaller ones in melee, regardless of the range? Based on the relative size modifiers?

So a SM +1 barbarian with Gigantism is at -3 to hit the SM -2 goblin.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #30
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Of course.

Large creatures get bonuses for SM and if they're using large hex size weapons, but like anything, they don't have as easy a time in hitting something far away as they do in hitting something closer.
(Unless they're farsighted, but that's another issue.)

Just because you can reach something with a 100' pole in melee range doesn't mean you don't suffer from range penalties.

Or on a more common melee usage, if you're hitting someone with a 10' pole with reach 3, and that person is 3 yards away, then you have the same -1 to hit that you do if you shoot them or throw something at them at the same range.

In other words, calling something melee is not a free cheat to avoid range penalties, no freebie cheats allowed in GURPS.
Ironically, Jet is described as mêlée-like and specifically ignores Range Penalties.

Tags
telegraphic attack, telekinesis