Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 12-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #141
stefanj

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

I got the feeling that Liz was stoked about TFT's revival.

Yes, tribute to bell bottom'd warriors would be only be fair.

If you follow her blog (http://www.lizdanforth.com/) or Patreon, Liz has been a guest at MtG "grand prix," where she enhances cards and playmats. I believe she has had her MtG art printed large on playmats. I don't do CCGs, but these look amazing!

Well. I'm traveling tomorrow, back home to Oregon from NY family. 2017 has been . . . trying. World-picture news-wise, and also losing my job of 19 3/4 years (not a catastrophe, but still, I won't get my 20 year ham) and also getting hit by a car while walking my dog (made a saving roll, or perhaps the damage roll came up all Ones, so I walked away from it) (Slowly). So, this TFT news is really a nice way to end the year!
Old 12-31-2017, 12:02 AM   #142
Cjannise

I had hexagonal tile put in on my kitchen floor just in case this day ever came. It can't have all been for naught! ;)
Cjannise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:34 AM   #143
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
... Does anyone know what became of Pat Hidy?

I'm trying to remember if Paul Jaquay had any work if them? In any case, I would hope Jennell would be interested in contributing.
I know Jennell has a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Jennell.Jaquays.Artist/ where there are various links to her work on various games.

(I hope someone gets Pat Hidy to do some new art for TFT, too!)

There was such great art in some of the Melee/Wizard illustrations and counters, and of course the AM/AW/ITL art was amazing, and the Death Test art & counters!
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:38 AM   #144
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Did y'all know that the reason there are Gargoyles in Melee is that Liz drew one on the cover?

So what everybody is saying is that if we do MELEE minis, at least one fighter has to be wearing purple bell-bottoms. Do I have that right?
That would be cool.

And the Wizard dragons should still have insect eyes and wings, and stingers in their tails. I really liked those dragons... and two-headed giants.

Mind you, it would be neat if there were counters (or cardboard heroes) for all the races/creatures that appear in In the Labyrinth. I was always disappointed metagaming didn't do a "TFT Monsters" microgame box that was just new counters and monster stats for use in the game.

I was very pleased when SJ Games gave us the land-octopus cardboard heroes... this is probably why octopuses ended up in Transhuman Space as well...

Congratulations again for getting the rights back!
Old 12-31-2017, 03:41 AM   #145
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I've spent my entire career in the visual arts and can say with whatever dubious authority that confers that Danforth's, Hidy's, and Bradley's work for TFT was simply great, and that it set a benchmark, that, sadly, was not often met by later games. Mediocre art, particularly cartoonish work that caters to a puerile sense of humor, diminishes the overall enjoyability of a game (unless it is meant to be a silly one). I hope that the visuals of whatever SJ rolls out for an updated edition of TFT will have superb art that connects to the origins of the game.
Yes, the art in TFT was very distinctive.

I do hope that - in particular for Wizard - any new version eschews the standard medieval fighters and gives designs that have at least something of that wild 70s vibe.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:58 AM   #146
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Frankly, I think that describes what I would want in an ideal world as well. Steve has the opportunity to tweak the system now, and it would be a shame to "waste" it, but massive re-writes wouldn't be either necessary or desirable IMHO. So count my vote for the above, as well!
Why not do something like THE OGRE BOOK that included fiction, variants, and optional rules (past or updated) and scenarios from SJ and a variety of authors?

Or even do one of these every so often as a "TFT Annual" - keeps the system "pure" in the sense of the original game, but provides a venue for variants, options, and Cidri material.

I love the clean design of the original TFT system, but agree that some of SJ's rules that made into GURPS would be a nice fit for TFT.

* A parry/defense mechanism, so the Grey Mouser can survive against Fafhrd. (I like the GURPS-inspired "half adjusted DX/2 + 3").

* Some sort of energy battery rule for mages so they don't have to be high ST. Power stones, storing energy in staves, making magical energy a separate pool equal to ST + IQ/2, whatever...

Both of these are useful for genre emulation; I'd like to see something like this at least as an official option...
Old 12-31-2017, 04:31 AM   #147
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
* Some sort of energy battery rule for mages so they don't have to be high ST. Power stones, storing energy in staves, making magical energy a separate pool equal to ST + IQ/2, whatever...
There is one of these on page 34 of Advanced Wizard - the Strength Battery.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:35 AM   #148
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
I was very pleased when SJ Games gave us the land-octopus cardboard heroes...
Ditto! I love the land-octopus. To this day it is one of my favorite monsters.

Speaking of monsters... where do Hymenoptera stand in this? They are an ITL thing, but they are also a Chitin:I thing.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:13 AM   #149
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I got to spend some brief but good time talking with Liz at the Flying Buffalo booth at GenCon. She showed me something she recently started doing - enhanced MAGIC cards. I had not known that that was a thing, even. I've seen some others since then. Hers are best :)

Did y'all know that the reason there are Gargoyles in Melee is that Liz drew one on the cover?

So what everybody is saying is that if we do MELEE minis, at least one fighter has to be wearing purple bell-bottoms. Do I have that right?
I think if the minis were to recreate the art from the original games and counters that would be amazing and would set them apart from anything else on the market. If that means bell-bottoms then so be it!
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:30 AM   #150
Dave Crowell

Definitelty wondering about the Hymenoptera, and still sad after all these years that we never got the promised big game. They will always have a warm spot in my heart for being my introduction to the worlds of Jack Vance. Yes, even before I read the Dying Earth, I read the Dragon Masters.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote