Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Tornado

Default Powers for a Ghost

Hi Guys.

Im helping a friend to make a Ghost. Invisibility plus Insubstantiability.

Do you guys know a power for attack in Ghost form?

I immagine as a ray of negative energy.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Powers for a Ghost

A "ray of negative energy" sounds like a Toxic Innate Attack to me. I assume you want it to affect material beings while the ghost is insubstantial, so the ghost's Insubstantiality will need the Affect Substantial enhancement, and the Toxic Attack will need Affects Substantial as well. I think that a negative energy ray should probably ignore armor, so I'd put Cosmic, Irresistible Attack on it as well, if you want it to be a physical beam that the ghost has to actually aim and hit with. If it's more just a matter of staring at someone and draining their lifeforce, you can use Malediction instead, which also lets you ignore armor without the Cosmic modifier.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
Anthony

Being able to attack in ghost form requires Affects Substantial (+100%) on Insubstantial, and Affects Substantial (+40%) on your attacks. Other than that, it's whatever attacks fit your theme, a ray of negative energy is probably fatigue or toxic damage.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
whswhs

Things commonly associated with ghosts are (a) a chilling effect (probably a fatigue attack with added symptoms), (b) a frightening scream (Terror with Sense-Based, maybe), or (c) people falling dead of fear (Affliction: Heart Attack might be right). Any of those sound suitable?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Classic dangers from ghosts are afflicted compulsions, either extreme emotions or literally reenacting past events.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
frankyplaysgames

Possession(B.75) with the Telecontrol enhancement sounds like fun. On top of that, if you make him take the Puppets Only limitation, and then have him purchase his own Puppets (B.78) he'd could fit a more horrific archetype and cause a lot of chaos.
Then all you need are some ghost hunters or a couple priests.......
frankyplaysgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
jason taylor

A benevolent ghost, come to pay a Vow or with SoD to it's descendants, or whatever might have an ability to give advice without being noticed by the receiver. What would that be?
Old 04-27-2018, 02:10 AM   #8
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
A benevolent ghost, come to pay a Vow or with SoD to it's descendants, or whatever might have an ability to give advice without being noticed by the receiver. What would that be?
A Secret Patron with Minimal Intervention?

A typical power for ghosts and spirits (as well as several types of deities) is Probability Alteration. They can just make things happen, or at least make things more likely to happen, with the added bonus that they don't need to "show their hand".
Old 04-27-2018, 05:48 AM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Ally with Grants Special Abilities. You might give the character Common Sense (or something similar) while the ghost was around.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #10
The Colonel

Telekinetic mischief is also ... not unknown ... in hauntings, even those without the classical characteristics of a poltergeist.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affects substantial, substantial only