Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Jachra

Default Alternative Telekinesis

For setting reasons, I'm looking to make a slight alteration to telekinesis and am seeking some advice. If there was a previous thread covering any part of this, please bring it to my attention - I did a search, but all I found was this, which was rather interesting for the momentum sink portion at the bottom:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...kinesis&page=2

The most particular part of the power I wanted to change that I needed help with:
Rather than having improved Move as part of the power, the force may A) move with the character and B) the move is based on how much force is being applied to the object.

To prevent my having to break out a textbooks and do some approximations, I wanted to see if anyone had done anything like this before (or has some idea of how it could be done painlessly and easily.)

My main idea for doing it painlessly is the character can, on the fly, switch points between TK ST and TK Move - it SEEMS sensible with some preliminary tests, but is it a sensible option?
EDIT: Specifically, the character has to shift power between the Lift Only (-20%) and Move Only (-40%) limitations.

OR, would it just be easier to convert the total TK ST to force in Newtons and do some back-of-the-envelope calculations? I'm more math-inclined than my players are, so I'd rather not subject them to too much of that.

NOTE: This is for in basic atmosphere, doing this in space is easy as cake.

Last edited by Jachra; 04-20-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Jachra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
munin

Default Re: Alternative Telekinesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jachra View Post
... the force may A) move with the character and B) the move is based on how much force is being applied to the object...
A) Do you mean that TK-grappled objects move as the TK user moves? If you're driving in a car, could you TK grab someone and they're now moving at the car's speed?

Without Compartmentalized Mind, a TK user will be limited to a step per turn while holding an object with TK. Are they required to "move" the grappled object the same amount that they move, or can they exert force in a different direction?

B) This is already true of RAW TK, though perhaps not to the precision you're looking for. If an object's weight exceeds TK Basic Lift then it is an encumbrance, reducing TK move.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Jachra

Default Re: Alternative Telekinesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
A) Do you mean that TK-grappled objects move as the TK user moves? If you're driving in a car, could you TK grab someone and they're now moving at the car's speed?
If they try to 'hold on' to it, then a greater force than they can handle will move them. However, they can reflexively release that portion of it, so they don't get comically dragged along.

Quote:
Without Compartmentalized Mind, a TK user will be limited to a step per turn while holding an object with TK. Are they required to "move" the grappled object the same amount that they move, or can they exert force in a different direction?
They can move it around themselves with concentration, but not far - I haven't decided how far, it'll depend on some exact details there. The idea, though, is that they've more or less counter-balanced it and can exert a little bit more force to nudge it as they like in a gravity well.

Quote:
B) This is already true of RAW TK, though perhaps not to the precision you're looking for. If an object's weight exceeds TK Basic Lift then it is an encumbrance, reducing TK move.
Yes, I already considered that, that's what led me to this conclusion, sadly ;_;. It would have been so much simpler!
Basically, I want ST/Move to be sacrificed between one another, rather than rise together.

The simplest way I can think to do this: Require the power to be seperated into both TK ST and TK Move seperately, with the Lift and Move Only limitations... to have one, you must have the other.

Last edited by Jachra; 04-20-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Jachra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rule, newtonian, physics, telekinesis