Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
Kuu

Default Re: TK (magnetic)

By "Full ST" I meant "Full TK".

The reason I asked this question is because it seems really cheap (half price of regular TK) to have Magnetic TK, even though you are still able to interact with anythiing non-ferrous as if "using a pair of disembodied hands" by using gauntlets.

You could also levitate a iron manhole (or any sufficiently large, flat metal object) under yourself and use it to fly, which is the Levitation part of TK.

I suppose a major downside is that your opponents don't suffer the penalties for being attacked by an invisible opponent, but still, it seems rather cheap...
Kuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
smurf
Banned

The 'surfboard' does not have to be leviation.

Lifting the pc + 'surfboard' = x. TK level = move - encumberance x

See lifting rules in BS.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
Kuu

I should've asked this earlier. Would the Magnetist (?) be able to perform manipulation with the gauntlets? For example, would the gauntlets be able to grab someone?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #14
Fnordianslip

The TK user can do anything with the gauntlets that he could do with a set of hands. If TK is coming across as too cheap to you, consider these factors. TK has a 10 yard range, doesn't give you HP, and requires concentration. Which means, sure, it's cheaper than ST, but you're essentially stuck moving 1 yard a second while you concentrate and you don't get the extra HP to help you out when someone throws a spear through you. TK is freaking awesome, but it's pretty well balanced pointwise.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
Kuu

I see. Thank you.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
Bruno

Concentration, especially, is a killer. If you make an active defence, get knocked down, get hit, you have to roll Will-3 to maintain Concentration, or you drop everything, including grapples and etc.

I'm also not sure you can use the gauntlets like hands. You're not WEARING the gauntlets, you're holding them. Wearing it would be with the Animation enhancement from Powers.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
Kuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Concentration, especially, is a killer. If you make an active defence, get knocked down, get hit, you have to roll Will-3 to maintain Concentration, or you drop everything, including grapples and etc.
Would you allow someone with TK (magnetic) to use an iron manhole as a large shield, blocking things as with Power Parry at DB 3?

Quote:
I'm also not sure you can use the gauntlets like hands. You're not WEARING the gauntlets, you're holding them. Wearing it would be with the Animation enhancement from Powers.
That's what I was wondering when I asked the question "is manipulation possible". How would you allow a magnetist to have both regular TK and TK (animation)? Would you have to buy both?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuu View Post
Would you allow someone with TK (magnetic) to use an iron manhole as a large shield, blocking things as with Power Parry at DB 3?
Absolutely. That seems to be exactly the sort of situation that Power Parry was built for.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #19
Darekun

I remember seeing it asserted here that the "virtual hands" aren't speed-limited when not acting on things. (If so, would've been nice for Basic to say so.) The gauntlets count as an object, so you'd have to let go of them to instantly grab something else — and that something else'd better be ferrous.
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
telekinesis