Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 12-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:10 AM   #2
Celti

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

How does one acquire the rights to a basically-abandoned product like this? If a company like Metagaming winds up defunct, and their assets aren't auctioned off to cover debts or whatnot, where do the rights to those end up?
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:24 AM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
How does one acquire the rights to a basically-abandoned product like this? If a company like Metagaming winds up defunct, and their assets aren't auctioned off to cover debts or whatnot, where do the rights to those end up?
In this case, it appears to have been 17 U.S. Code § 203, which is only usable by the author (or heirs if dead).
Old 12-26-2017, 05:10 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Congratulations to SJ!
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:19 AM   #5
kleefaj

It's a Christmas miracle!
kleefaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:22 AM   #6
davester64

I played so much Melee back in the day. Looking forward to seeing it again!
davester64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
ColinK

This is fun news.

Melee and Wizard were favorites of my brothers and gaming friends in the 1980s. I still have the original booklet games and the advanced game books where I can actually find them, also all sorts of fun notes on "home brewed" rules to share when the time is ripe for that.

Sure hope we can look forward to a new generation of players to experience the many opportunities for enjoying all the great modern day accessories like computer mapping tools, campaign manager tools, flat printable NPCs and 3D printable everything.

The Fantasy Trip was a really open game that invited all sorts of player generated objects and imaginative interpretations or combinations of spells, items, skills, etc. I look forward with glee to blasting holes between labyrinth caves again.

Evil cackles galore!

Last edited by ColinK; 12-26-2017 at 01:35 PM.
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #8
dar

Fantastic news! Even better if left nice and simpler the way it was! Thanks!
dar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #9
guymc

Steve, that is certainly wonderful news! TFT started my professional career as a game designer in earnest, and I was very lucky to have your work to build on when I took over as Line Editor upon your departure from Metagaming. I’ll be very happy to see that wonderful, pioneering work back in the hands of its creator.

Do you think you will again be doing solitaire quests? Your acquisition does not, as I understand it, include the original Microquests. If you are at all interested, is there anything that I could do to get Grailquest back to the new TFT?

Guy McLimore
Old 12-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
trag

That's fantastic!

I just bought a set of A. Wizard, A. Melee and TFT on Ebay with the thought of asking SJ to sign them at his 12/16 appearance here in Austin (BC Mall, IIRC), but logistics got in the way and they arrived too late.

Our gaming group played TFT from 1988 to 1991 in a very long intricate campaign. Then we switched GMs and changed to GURPS.

But when I grow weary of the skills and rules proliferation in GURPS I find TFT to be a pleasant relief.

While TFT is less intricate than GURPS, you can do a lot with it and spend a lot less time looking up rules.

I have another related group of friends who had, until last year, a 28 year tradition of a holiday season "geekathon". It started with all night sessions of Spaceward Ho! on networked Macs back in 1988, later switching to Bungie's "Marathon" but the last several years has been one day-long TFT adventure. So until last year, we were still using TFT.

Suggestions:

1) Keep it the way it is. The simplicity is a virtue that is still attractive.
2) If you want provide card stock maps or similar, perhaps just provide printable files. That will keep printing costs down for the books, and card stock can be bought by players and fed through laser printers or color laser printers. Or does no-one have a printer with a fairly straight paper path any more from the front "envelop feeder" to the rear output?
trag is offline   Reply With Quote