Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Talosian

Default Re: [GURPS DF] Welcome to Hell OOC

Quote:
Exactly tightly. I'm a stickler. Sorry.
Perfectly fine :P

Quote:
The spirits of the dead are insubstantial except in extraordinary circumstances. Kind of funny you brought that up, since--well, you'll see.
Yeah, okay. Unless that got bent a bit, it wouldn't work that well. Getting mobbed by the insubstantial is either rather tame (if they can't attack), or rather ugly.

Quote:
That being said, were this a normal campaign I would allow it. But in PbP, the enemy disadvantage doesn't really work, at least not in any way I can figure. It's either only ever going to come up once, or it's never going to come up at all.
Well, it's possible to use the Game Time modifier to put it in game time (by default, this would be one week). Given the way you're handling things like Luck and Wild Talent, though, I would assume that it would also operate on a whenever-the-gm-feels-like-it basis.

Quote:
Maybe we could instead go with a negative reputation or social stigma? It would be a lot easier to get the inhabitants to just generally hate you than it would be to say that somewhere down in the depths there happens to be something specifically targeting your character.
I doubt he could've killed enough people to get him a reputation with most of them, and negative reputation with a small portion is moving into quirk territory. Hmm.

Quote:
Anything down there that could come after you specifically would be mean enough that I don't think you guys would want to try to fight it . . . .
I was thinking that it would represent him encountering them, more then them finding him. Thus the Unknown bit. He's not being hunted down, he's just running into various people who've got a bit of a grudge.

-

Again, though, since it sounds like they'd be insubstantial, this probably wouldn't work too well. Unless you've got any idea for getting around that, I think I'll just skip it. Feel free to play with the idea at some point, though.

EDIT: Had to drop the moccasins. That's just sad. One of the easiest bonuses to stealth EVER.

EDIT2: Should we be prepared to rough it? I've no idea how to prioritize food/survival gear against weapons/armor.

EDIT3: Also wondering what would be considered a "full wardrobe", as far as starting clothing goes (obviously we'll only be taking what we're wearing, but does this cover ONLY basic clothing? Low-Tech specifies that Winter gear includes gloves and footwear, so there's definitely some question as to whether things like a cloak would be covered). In search of GM ruling.

EDIT4: Since I cannot find a price for a wire garrote, I'm assuming that the basic garrote price is for either a rope or a wire garrote.

Last edited by Talosian; 06-27-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Dorin Thorha

Character sheet, just needs quirks. I did this using GCS for the first time so there may be errors as I am still figuring out the software. Equipment list to follow, basically he has a giant size dueling halberd, several harpoons, full chain mail (as his sig gear), and some assorted survival items.

Roth Greenblade

Spoiler:  

Equipment:

Spoiler:  

EDIT: Also, Roth would give just about anything for a Mage PC who can cast Affect Spirits.

Last edited by Dorin Thorha; 06-29-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added equipment
Dorin Thorha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
EDIT: Had to drop the moccasins. That's just sad. One of the easiest bonuses to stealth EVER.
Don't you get a bonus for being barefoot? What moccasins are you talking about? The ninja shoes?

Quote:
EDIT2: Should we be prepared to rough it? I've no idea how to prioritize food/survival gear against weapons/armor.
There will be access to food. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
EDIT3: Also wondering what would be considered a "full wardrobe", as far as starting clothing goes (obviously we'll only be taking what we're wearing, but does this cover ONLY basic clothing? Low-Tech specifies that Winter gear includes gloves and footwear, so there's definitely some question as to whether things like a cloak would be covered). In search of GM ruling.
I would try to imagine what a Status 0 merchant would wear at TL 3. A cloak, sure. Count whatever you could wear all at once and it still make sense as an outfit.

Quote:
EDIT4: Since I cannot find a price for a wire garrote, I'm assuming that the basic garrote price is for either a rope or a wire garrote.
Just pick whichever. That doesn't look very important.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
Talosian

Quote:
Don't you get a bonus for being barefoot? What moccasins are you talking about? The ninja shoes?
'

Low-Tech. Should I not be using that? : /

Yeah, being barefoot provides the same benefit, but even though moccasins don't provide a lot of protection, walking around without shoes for long periods of time isn't particularly safe in rugged terrain. Also doesn't make sense for him to not have shoes.

Quote:
There will be access to food. I wouldn't worry about it.
Hallelujah!

Quote:
I would try to imagine what a Status 0 merchant would wear at TL 3. A cloak, sure. Count whatever you could wear all at once and it still make sense as an outfit.
Hmm. That sounds like a challenge. So basic clothing, Heavy Cloak (Low-Tech has this at 3 lbs, which I'm assuming is more accurate)... I suppose moccasins are debatable, as they're probably not common footwear. Okay. Well, either way, killing the cost of the cloak should let me get the moccasins.

Quote:
Just pick whichever. That doesn't look very important.
This is true. Having freed a few extra $, though, I think I will be getting one of each.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Low-Tech. Should I not be using that? : /
Nope! You should be using DF 13: Loadouts. Ordinary clothing is free to start with, $120 to replace, and it weighs two pounds. I'm willing to say moccasins are included in that. Whatever.

Quote:
This is true. Having freed a few extra $, though, I think I will be getting one of each.
I really hope you try to use those.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #16
Talosian

<sigh>

Nothing will need to breathe, will it?

That's just evil.

Which would, y'know... Be appropriate.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Nothing will need to breathe, will it?
I guarantee you there will be at least between three and five things down there that will breathe. Unless someone decides to play a Celestial and take Doesn't Breathe.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #18
Talosian

Sh*t. Well, I suppose I can always garrote them if they get annoying, right?

(Only changes I've made to the template was dropping a point from Shadowing, because it already defaulted to 14 from Stealth, and dropping Brawling for Karate, which suits his more mobile fighting style. Let me know if you see any errors.)

Athelard de Valles
Spoiler:  

Last edited by Talosian; 07-01-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #19
ErhnamDJ

First thing I see is that Dual-Weapon Attack requires Weapon Master or Trained by a Master. You're in luck! Thieves can get Weapon Master as a power-up!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
Poonbahbah

@Dorin
It's also a PI3 cleric spell, but if we don't have a volunteer for cleric I will very much consider playing one. Healing is very very nice after all.
Poonbahbah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
welcome to hell