Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
MagiMaster

Default Recreating a lab explosion

(If any of my players are reading this, stop now.)

Ok, this is a bit complicated, so background first:

A mad scientist created a super-serum formula and sold designs for a TL9 dirty-tech chemical reactor to a mob boss. (This is a TL8 setting.) Now the formula only lasts about a day per dose and generally puts people in comas if they stop taking it (which the mob boss is aware of).

The mob boss built one reactor in an abandoned warehouse, but the heroes were tipped off to this and raided the operation. During the fight, chemicals were spilled onto the machine and stuff was knocked in to it, eventually leading to it catching fire (possibly due to a short circuit) and exploding (though only a minor explosion that didn't completely destroy the machine).

Now, it was established that the machine was in the middle of producing a batch, and there was no finished serum in it (the barrel at that end was empty), but somehow the scientist near it wasn't killed, but instead gained super powers. Go figure. :) In this setting everyone has at least a little power. The scientist was actually a mid-level chaos user, so his power probably caused the unlikely chain of events to become more likely (Serendipity or something). He's now Dr. Chaos (or something similar) and has been added to one of the player's rogues gallery.

Now to my actual question. The original mad scientist is supposed to be quite competent and would be very interested in how the explosion somehow made his formula more effective (Dr. Chaos's new powers don't seem to be going away). So, what about the explosion caused this difference? (If need be, I can easily retcon Dr. Chaos to have a powerset other than chaos.)

I need to answer this question so that the mad scientist can design experiments to figure it out in-universe, which should make for an interesting next story-line.
MagiMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
doulos05

Default Re: Recreating a lab explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiMaster View Post
(If any of my players are reading this, stop now.)

Ok, this is a bit complicated, so background first:

A mad scientist created a super-serum formula and sold designs for a TL9 dirty-tech chemical reactor to a mob boss. (This is a TL8 setting.) Now the formula only lasts about a day per dose and generally puts people in comas if they stop taking it (which the mob boss is aware of).

The mob boss built one reactor in an abandoned warehouse, but the heroes were tipped off to this and raided the operation. During the fight, chemicals were spilled onto the machine and stuff was knocked in to it, eventually leading to it catching fire (possibly due to a short circuit) and exploding (though only a minor explosion that didn't completely destroy the machine).

Now, it was established that the machine was in the middle of producing a batch, and there was no finished serum in it (the barrel at that end was empty), but somehow the scientist near it wasn't killed, but instead gained super powers. Go figure. :) In this setting everyone has at least a little power. The scientist was actually a mid-level chaos user, so his power probably caused the unlikely chain of events to become more likely (Serendipity or something). He's now Dr. Chaos (or something similar) and has been added to one of the player's rogues gallery.

Now to my actual question. The original mad scientist is supposed to be quite competent and would be very interested in how the explosion somehow made his formula more effective (Dr. Chaos's new powers don't seem to be going away). So, what about the explosion caused this difference? (If need be, I can easily retcon Dr. Chaos to have a powerset other than chaos.)

I need to answer this question so that the mad scientist can design experiments to figure it out in-universe, which should make for an interesting next story-line.
"The theta rays from the explosion seem to have increase the Electrolytic Metalloneutralization rate by nearly 600%, Doctor!"

If you don't like that one, use this for more.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
ClayDowling

And more realistically, the fire/explosion means additional energy was available to fuel the reaction, which could have increased the concentration of the substance, or prevented problematic impurities from developing.

Really though, I like the previous answer the best.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Anthony

There are a wide variety of chemicals that might be accidentally mixed in to the formula, and heat could also have altered the compound. I suggest capturing Dr Chaos and subjecting him to a battery of tests, preferably involving giant needles.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There are a wide variety of chemicals that might be accidentally mixed in to the formula, and heat could also have altered the compound. I suggest capturing Dr Chaos and subjecting him to a battery of tests, preferably involving giant needles.
Imprisoning him in a giant glass tube is also highly recommended.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
MagiMaster

Unfortunately, I don't think the players will get around to working the details out, and I'm not sure they'd really care either way. The big bad mad scientist does though, and experimenting on Dr. Chaos directly is a good idea. I just need some way for the big bad to deal with him that leaves the players mostly in the dark about what's going on. (Too much or too little info just wouldn't be fun.) I also have to make sure that Dr. Chaos comes through relatively intact since he's mentioned on one of the player's sheets.
MagiMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
Rendu

Note that "trying to re-create a power-inducing lab accident" is a spring-board for PLENTY of one-off villains, as your big bad produces a parade of "almost, but not quite"s. In fact, the inherent irreproducibility of lab accidents is why they're such a popular origin- it explains why the serum/ray/whatever isn't mass-produced to give everyone powers.

I wont even get into the tangle of reproducing "chaos powers"- Oy!
Rendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
Anders

The chemicals in the machine reacted with the plastic in the computer terminal and created a catalyst for an exothermic reaction. This reaction would normally go so slowly that it's unnoticeable. Accelerated a million times, though... BOOM!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiMaster View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think the players will get around to working the details out, and I'm not sure they'd really care either way. The big bad mad scientist does though, and experimenting on Dr. Chaos directly is a good idea. I just need some way for the big bad to deal with him that leaves the players mostly in the dark about what's going on. (Too much or too little info just wouldn't be fun.) I also have to make sure that Dr. Chaos comes through relatively intact since he's mentioned on one of the player's sheets.
<shrug> The PCs burst in as Dr Chaos is spread-eagle on a table under a ginromous x-ray machine that's about to make his skeleton glow in the dark (always an important diagnostic test).

Dr Chaos survives relatively intact. The PCs know there's something going on about the big-bad and some secret of Chaos' physiology but not the details. Chaos probably escapes in the chaos and they don't even get to ask him questions.

There. That's a climatic scene for a session. What more do you want?