Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
anathanatoid

Default Transferral Potion

Okay -- we're newbies and many things confuse us.... This is question 2 of 4 (all in separate threads)...

Can a Transferral Potion be used to *take* the combat from another Player?

Situation: Player A opens a door a finds a monster. Player A wants to fight the monster, but Player B plays a Transferral Potion and chooses himself to fight the monster. Player B beats the monster, and thereby gets the level(s) and treasure(s).

Can Player B really do that?
anathanatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Nerftw

Default Re: Transferral Potion

Yup. Play then continues on the original player's turn as normal.
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

That's the whole purpose of the Transferral potion, to transfer any combat to any other player than the one who is fighting it now. And, I should mention, that if the main combatant (the player whose turn it is) has a helper, the helper is a viable "target" for the effect of this card. This card is a "Usable once only" Item, so unless stated otherwise, it could be used on any combat, even one that is not your own, but at the very beginning of the card text, it was made doubly clear that it could be used on any combat.

To be a little more complete about the return of play to the original player: After your hypothetical Player B resolves the transferred combat (either by completing all of his necessary Run Away rolls, or getting the Level(s) and Treasure), play returns to your hypothetical Player A, but player A may not Look For Trouble, he may only Loot The Room.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 06-22-2010 at 09:41 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Kirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
And, I should mention, that if the main combatant (the player whose turn it is) has a helper...
I had hoped that the new FAQ would define whether the new main combatant was "on his own turn" or was "acting as a main combatant on someone else's turn,"

since discussion of this question had previously been tabled.

Has there been a ruling made, or are we still waiting?
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirt View Post
I had hoped that the new FAQ would define whether the new main combatant was "on his own turn" or was "acting as a main combatant on someone else's turn,"
I was wondering the same thing as I read the original post.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
smoothhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
That's the whole purpose of the Transferral potion, to transfer any combat to any other player than the one who is fighting it now. And, I should mention, that if the main combatant (the player whose turn it is) has a helper, the helper is a viable "target" for the effect of this card. This card is a "Usable once only" Item, so unless stated otherwise, it could be used on any combat, even one that is not your own, but at the very beginning of the card text, it was made doubly clear that it could be used on any combat.

To be a little more complete about the return of play to the original player: After your hypothetical Player B resolves the transferred combat (either by completing all of his necessary Run Away rolls, or getting the Level(s) and Treasure), play returns to your hypothetical Player A, but player A may not Look For Trouble, he may only Loot The Room.
So just to be sure: if two people are fighting a monster together, and Player A (original person fighting the monster) uses it on Player B (the helper), does the combat shift to Player B with Player A "kicked out" of the battle, i.e. not automatically helping B?
smoothhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothhands View Post
So just to be sure: if two people are fighting a monster together, and Player A (original person fighting the monster) uses it on Player B (the helper), does the combat shift to Player B with Player A "kicked out" of the battle, i.e. not automatically helping B?
Yes, that's the case.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
aeronaut

OK, a follow-up question. Could a cleric use transferral potion to take a fight from another player, ask and get someone to help with the fight (assuming the cleric is not winning,) and then use resurrection to resurrect the transferral potion off the top of the treasure discards pile, so that the cleric (or the helper) could get it back? And on a related note, does the cleric, or the player whose turn it was originally, determine in what order the cards go into the treasure discard pile?

If this works, it could be a nasty strategy for the cleric to steal everyone's combats and level up. Of course, it relies on having a helper, but if there's an elf in the game that shouldn't be too hard to find. The cleric could even steal the combat from the elf and then ask the elf for help. Munchkinly and nasty.

Regards,
aeronaut
Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
smoothhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
OK, a follow-up question. Could a cleric use transferral potion to take a fight from another player, ask and get someone to help with the fight (assuming the cleric is not winning,) and then use resurrection to resurrect the transferral potion off the top of the treasure discards pile, so that the cleric (or the helper) could get it back? And on a related note, does the cleric, or the player whose turn it was originally, determine in what order the cards go into the treasure discard pile?

If this works, it could be a nasty strategy for the cleric to steal everyone's combats and level up. Of course, it relies on having a helper, but if there's an elf in the game that shouldn't be too hard to find. The cleric could even steal the combat from the elf and then ask the elf for help. Munchkinly and nasty.

Regards,
aeronaut
From what I remember, the official word is that an item used in a battle goes into the discard pile when its effects are resolved. For instance, a +3 potion basically instantly is discarded because its effects are just to add 3 to a side's combat bonus. You could make the argument that the Transferral Potion's effects don't resolve until the switched combat is over, since the card describes actions beyond the initial switch.
smoothhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothhands View Post
From what I remember, the official word is that an item used in a battle goes into the discard pile when its effects are resolved.
Cards used during a fight are not discarded until the fight is over, unless something causes them to be discarded immediately (a separate card effect, for instance).

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
munchkin, transferral potion