Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 04-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
zogo

Default Right of Passage

Well to put it bluntly since 99.9+% of beings given Right of Passage will be Servitors of Destiny with their Hearts in the Library, What is the benefit of this attunement? Is it just a lower disturbance?

And it certainly doesn't seem worthwhile to Soldiers of God serving Destiny since the vast majority of them would have to be full on Essence and spend all of it to use the attunement.
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
William

Default Re: Right of Passage

If you're playing a game in which angelic Tethers are fairly rare, it cuts a lot of distance off travel -- and even if a Tether is convenient to plenty of locations, it can still get you in to some well-protected stores of knowledge you couldn't enter otherwise. It could even get you a completely unguarded entrance into Kronos' Archive, or the Inverse Data Store, though the former is doubtless a trip undertaken only in extreme circumstances.

(At least, I trust I'm reading this right and that you can enter one Gateway and exit another!)
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by William

(At least, I trust I'm reading this right and that you can enter one Gateway and exit another!)
It says only to the Library and back again, which seems to say you can only go from where you are to the Library and then back to where you were, which makes it essentially the same as Ascending and then returning to your vessel's last location.

The alternative interpretation that you cannot move outside the Library on the Heaven Side seems really weird to me.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
Magicwillnz

The main benefits of the Rite of Passage is social. It is, after all, a prestigious attunement, and shows what kind of selfless individual you are.
Magicwillnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
Sagitta

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo
What is the benefit of this attunement?
It always succeeds, and you can take guests.
Quote:
And it certainly doesn't seem worthwhile to Soldiers of God...
The book says it's for angels only.
Sagitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
alexondria

I've always viewed this as being able to turn any library or suitable repository of knowledge into a temporary tether. I've also viewed it as alowing the angel to go from any one library to another via the hidden paths.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
RadLilim

Per Sup3, "It allows the angel to use the Gateways that link every repository of knowledge to the Library." So it doesn't need to be a tether. However, it continues to say, "This attunement may only be used to travel to the Library and back again."

So the angel can go from any repository of knowledge he or she is in to the Library and back again. Which, IMO, includes music and book stores, libraries, archives, and even Kronos' Archives, if he or she is unlucky enough to be there.

Wanna buy one? - Radueriel, Free Lilim
RadLilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #8
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadLilim

So the angel can go from any repository of knowledge he or she is in to the Library and back again. Which, IMO, includes music and book stores, libraries, archives, and even Kronos' Archives, if he or she is unlucky enough to be there.
Right but with a roll an angel in Celestial Form can go from nearly anywhere to their Heart...
Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
gjc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo
Right but with a roll an angel in Celestial Form can go from nearly anywhere to their Heart...
That's noisy, and it requires a roll. Plus, you can't get back to the same spot that way.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #10
William

Sure you can, you can descend to your last Corporeal location as long as you have a Vessel.

No, I'm fairly sure the intent of Right of Passage is to let an angel go from one place on Earth to another, via repositories of information connected to the Library. Certainly that's the ability I'd play, otherwise as you point out it's a very weak Attunement with significant prerequisites simply to lower Disturbance for going celestial.

Barring an authorial or editorial Intervention, however, I'd say it's up to you.
William is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attunements, right of passage