Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
reizen

Default Question about running away

Hi,

sorry to ask a simple question - but couldn't find the answer in the search etc.

1) If you are in combat and others, including yourself are playing single use cards to increase/decrease your or the monsters combat level and it looks like you are going to lose - can you still run away at that point? (I think the rules state yes)

2) If you choose at that point to runaway - what happens to the cards played - are they lost by all parties? (I couldn't find this in the rules.)

Thanks!
reizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Muse23PT

Default Re: Question about running away

Quote:
Originally Posted by reizen View Post
Hi,

sorry to ask a simple question - but couldn't find the answer in the search etc.

1) If you are in combat and others, including yourself are playing single use cards to increase/decrease your or the monsters combat level and it looks like you are going to lose - can you still run away at that point? (I think the rules state yes)

2) If you choose at that point to runaway - what happens to the cards played - are they lost by all parties? (I couldn't find this in the rules.)

Thanks!
1- You have to try to run away after you lose combat unless some card says that you can't run away from that monster and that means the bad stuff happens

2- All cards played get discarded when the combat is resolved by either you winning or losing and having to try to run away
Munchkin Legends
Muse23PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
TON3R

Quote:

You can choose to run away at any point when you are losing combat.

Quote:

The cards have been played, and they are discarded (unless otherwise specified by a card's text).
TON3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Clipper

Just to make the Run Away thing clearer, you do not decide whether to fight or flee at the start of combat. This is a common misconception that many players make.

Instead, as soon as the monster appears, you are considered to be fighting it and you start comparing combat strengths and updating the comparison as further cards are played. As the others pointed out, you can decide to lose a combat and Run Away at any point while your combat strength is lower than or equal to that of the monster/s. You then start rolling dice to Run Away from each monster to see if it catches you (although you don't need to roll if a monster won't pursue you, you just get away automatically).

And yes, all the cards played into the combat are discarded, so the monsters, monster enhancers and any One-Shot cards played all go to the discard pile; just like if you had won the combat (where the rules are a little clearer that all the cards get discarded).
Old 09-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
reizen

Thank you everyone for your help!
reizen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
munchkin, running away