Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
shkspr1048

Default On a Revised Magic Advantage

A key element of the Magic power set is the Mana-Dependant Disadvantage. Can anyone offer me some advice on how to get around this, either by rejiggering the Power itself, replacing Mana-Dependant with some other thematically appropriate modifier; or, by introducing some sort of after-market element, like a Perk or Skill?
shkspr1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
Mr_Sandman

Default Re: On a Revised Magic Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkspr1048 View Post
A key element of the Magic power set is the Mana-Dependant Disadvantage. Can anyone offer me some advice on how to get around this, either by rejiggering the Power itself, replacing Mana-Dependant with some other thematically appropriate modifier; or, by introducing some sort of after-market element, like a Perk or Skill?
One approach would be the Mana Enhancer advantage (Characters p. 68), which would raise no mana areas to low mana or higher, depending on the level you take. It's expensive, but it lets a character ignore one of the major balancing elements for magic.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Important question: are you a player or the GM? If you're the player, I think the answer has to be that there's no way to totally remove the threat of no-mana areas from the Magical modifier. You can, as Mr_Sandman points out, buy things Mana Enhancer to mitigate it, but that will never be perfect - the GM can always throw someone with Mana Dampener at you, if Mana Enhancer is a valid trait. The reason you can't completely eliminate this drawback is because it's fundamentally part of how magic works in games where that's what makes up the Magical modifier. The reason you're getting a discount on abilities in the first place is because there's an assumption that, at least sometimes, you'll be limited in how you can use them.

Now, if you're the GM, and you don't think that "mana-dead" areas are how you want to portray magic in your setting, that's fine. You can certainly change how the Magical modifier works. The simplest way is to just reduce the limitation value by 5%, leaving only the limitations of being subject to dispelling abilities - Dispel Magic spells, magic-cancelling superpowers, and so on. Or, you could replace the -5% of the limitation with another limiting circumstance. For example, Powers rates "can be cancelled by specialized technology" as being worth -5%. In the case of magic, I see that as "specialized magical equipment", things like anti-magic bracelets, potions of magic resistance, and so on, that can be used by anyone, but require specialized skills (like Occultism and Thaumatology) and some time to put together.

There are several other suggestions in Powers for components that make up power source limitations (which is what Magical is an example of) - I'd recommend checking there for more ideas.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
Gef

I'd say Kelly answered this question thoroughly. From a world-building standpoint, if you don't like the idea of mana as a pervasive resource and requirement, you might substitute a gadget. All wizards must have their wand or holy symbol or medicine bag; these work out to be about -40% as Gadgets. Or they have to drink periodically from the Fount of Power, or dragon's blood, etc. Depending on how often, this is probably easiest to model as a Pact limitation.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote