Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 10-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
Daimyo_Shi

Default Combat Showcase 2037

You know not all of the PDFs for Car Wars Publication are great but I have to go with Kudos to Steve Jackson Games for at least leaving the file editable so I change the rotation of the pages which is very handy.

Granted the Original books formatting has a purpose that I understand but would it have killed them to keep the Standard car part listing that is pretty standard in ADQ and the First AADA Guides

Last edited by Daimyo_Shi; 10-25-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Daimyo_Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #2
Racer

Default Re: Combat Showcase 2037

Combat Showcase was designed as 'pop open & play instantly' product : it had flaps on either ends of cover , which could be folded inwards to play using the presented vehicles . Best used with two copies CS'37 or photo copies of pages & flaps .
Nice idea but didn't really work . They used similar vehicle formats in Convoy & Mean Streets adventuring books IIRC . At least it gives players a generally standard way to layout vehicle internals . Before that in early 80's , you wouldn't believe mess some made of their car sheets !

The Errata for Combat Garage in ADQ 7/1 goes back to normal stats layouts for those that get completely replaced .

I've got whole exercise books/jotters full of revamped CS designs ... at least those that are worth using ... No Ram Subs or Ram Rev. Light Trkes in my redesigns , as they'd be wreaked after first impact on a heavier , solid ram target ...

Flechette Guns were in major prominence then to , before players realized how useless they could be . Light Machine Guns had then come along , and relegated FGs to Anti Ped vehicles only .

As bad as it is , you don't see any FGs in Vehicle Guild 3 . Pretty sure the single instance of them in the Military Vehicle Guide is a typo (one amongst many) .

Last edited by Racer; 10-25-2021 at 06:43 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:03 AM   #3
Daimyo_Shi

As a side note anyone see where the Thunderkit for cycles was first published?
Old 10-26-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
As a side note anyone see where the Thunderkit for cycles was first published?
Uncle Al's 2036 Catalog. (I can't believe I remembered that without looking it up).

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #5
Racer

Thunderkits were nice gadget - pity they were made illegal in 1989/2039 when new Rules on Top Speed calculations came in ... by combing the two approaches I design a Hvy Cycle with a 300mph Top Speed ...

As a legacy , I named one of the more powerful Cycle/Trike PPs as 'Thunderkit PP' with 2,000 Power Factors . Next step up from the 1,400 PF HD Trike PP I also designed .

Still a +50mph boost to Top Speed was extremely handy in mid 80's .
Old 10-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Thunderkits were nice gadget - pity they were made illegal in 1989/2039 when new Rules on Top Speed calculations came in ...
Somewhere in my notes is the rewrite I did for Thunderkits -- in the same way the original writeup of what is now the "Sport" PP was the "Large Sport" PP, "Thunderkit" became a "booster pack" for Cycle PPs (in the process, fixing the problem created when Trikes were permitted chassis upgrades, and X-H Trikes now had more available weight than any Cycle Plant with upgrades could move).

FGs: I also need to find my "riot control" APC from _CW Tanks_, which never got published -- it had a brace of FGs.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
FGs: I also need to find my "riot control" APC from _CW Tanks_, which never got published -- it had a brace of FGs.
Why?

:)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:54 PM   #8
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Why?

:)
Why do I need to find it again? Or Why was it never published? Or Why did it have a brace of FGs?

79er

Old 10-28-2021, 07:49 AM   #9
Daimyo_Shi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Somewhere in my notes is the rewrite I did for Thunderkits -- in the same way the original writeup of what is now the "Sport" PP was the "Large Sport" PP, "Thunderkit" became a "booster pack" for Cycle PPs (in the process, fixing the problem created when Trikes were permitted chassis upgrades, and X-H Trikes now had more available weight than any Cycle Plant with upgrades could move).

When you say Brace what do you mean? I use to the term being paired pistols [Likely coming from the term Case for two swords [Often Rapiers]
Old 10-28-2021, 02:13 PM   #10
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
When you say Brace what do you mean? I use to the term being paired pistols [Likely coming from the term Case for two swords [Often Rapiers]
That's what I mean -- "a grouping of". IIRC: It was a Light APC with at least one FG out each of the main facings, plus a 2-sp. turret with AP-loaded MGs.

79er