Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 08-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: The Village as a source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
This is THS. Why is everyone trying to place the village in space? Place it on some big server. Make the villagers Infomorphs. You can even make most of them not know they're Infomorphs. Streams crossed successfully, while adhering to THSsiness.
Yeah, this is how I would do it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yeah, this is how I would do it.
That was one of the options in my campaign. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That was one of the options in my campaign. . . .
Not surprising. I like the idea that the explanation wasn't fixed, but rather dependent on how they approached it. Feels kind of gnostic. It's very clever.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Not surprising. I like the idea that the explanation wasn't fixed, but rather dependent on how they approached it. Feels kind of gnostic. It's very clever.
Thank you! I was happy with it. In fact I only made up the explanations after I saw the character sheets, so that they would fit the characters. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #15
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
An answer to both these problems is a cover story. As far as the rest of the system is concerned, this is a station with a small isolationist population that does a minimum of trading with everyone else and doesn't let outsiders any further in than it has to. There are plenty of stations like that already.
Which frankly aren't vastly more plausible. Space stations are *expensive*. How many people rich and powerful enough to afford them and pull off this sort of isolationism even want to? You'd think most of them would prefer to enjoy their vast wealth rather than eke out a subsistence living. The movie actually sort of addresses this - the super-rich guy is a loon and he lures in the psychologically vulnerable.

On the other hand, they do generate more adventure seeds that way. People pay attention to the super-rich - governments want to collect taxes from them, people want to contact them to wheedle or extort money from them, their non-loon relatives are really interested in their alive status or unregistered children for inheritance reasons and the like. Provides lots of reasons PCs might be tasked with interacting with a community like that.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #16
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Which frankly aren't vastly more plausible. Space stations are *expensive*. How many people rich and powerful enough to afford them and pull off this sort of isolationism even want to? You'd think most of them would prefer to enjoy their vast wealth rather than eke out a subsistence living. The movie actually sort of addresses this - the super-rich guy is a loon and he lures in the psychologically vulnerable.

On the other hand, they do generate more adventure seeds that way. People pay attention to the super-rich - governments want to collect taxes from them, people want to contact them to wheedle or extort money from them, their non-loon relatives are really interested in their alive status or unregistered children for inheritance reasons and the like. Provides lots of reasons PCs might be tasked with interacting with a community like that.
And with memetics to enhance paranoia things can go from Scooby-doo to Two Thousand Maniacs with brutal speed.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Age old cult/religious indoctrination would work fine for 90%+ of the group. But it would take advanced memetics to deal with the skeptical individuals that always pop up in such collections.
Our species' base state of being is fear and hate of "them" and protection of "us".
Old 08-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Age old cult/religious indoctrination would work fine for 90%+ of the group. But it would take advanced memetics to deal with the skeptical individuals that always pop up in such collections.
Our species' base state of being is fear and hate of "them" and protection of "us".
From what I've seen/read in some experiments on the matter:
The "I don't believe in hypnotism, you can't fool me" sceptics tend to turn out to be quite susceptible, while the self-doubting ones seemed more resistant.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Yes, and no. Recognizing that for most such influences and illusions, it's almost always a case of won't now vs. can't ever. But immunities to certain forms aren't impossible.
And intrinsic natures incompatible with aspects of present cultures isn't magical either. I'm not a "toucher", so living in cultures that demand constant physicality would either kill me, force me to leave, or turn me violent. Fully adapting would simply not be possible.