Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 09-07-2004, 02:08 AM   #1
MechDrek

Default Star Mercs vs. Ground Forces: Battledress

First of all: Hi!

I am a little bit confused because of the wildly differing stats between the imperial marine commando battledress described in StarMercs and the ones described in Ground Forces. First of all, the Imperial Marine commandos arenīt even mentioned in Ground Forces and then the battledresses seem to have been constructed under different rules. The commando battledress has 1200 DR while the heaviest Ground Forces battledress has 400 DR (650 against energy). Quite a difference. The commando battledress has a ground speed of 70 mph, the fastest in Ground Forces manages speed of 20mph on the ground.

Which set of battledresses is more canonical? Why is there such a discrepany betwen the two books?

Regards

MechDrek
MechDrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:07 AM   #2
thrash

Default Re: Star Mercs vs. Ground Forces: Battledress

The version from Star Mercs, while technically legal under GURPS Vehicles, is both (a) unrealistic (what would running at 70 mph do to a human hip joint, just trying to keep up?) and (b) canon-breaking. The version in GT: Ground Forces supercedes it.

This is an emotional subject, by the bye -- the commando battledress from Star Mercs is probably the single most reviled piece of equipment ever published for GT.
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 05:26 AM   #3
mcv

That Star Mercs thing sounds more like a full blown mecha than a battlesuit. It probably has rocket boosters to reach that 70 mph.

mcv.
mcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 05:35 AM   #4
thrash

Nope: the only propulsion listed for the basic model is "Legged drivetrain" (p. T:SM61). There is a separate "flight pack" for the Commando Battledress (p. T:SM62); the ground performance it lists is actually worse than the battlesuit by itself (60 mph for suit+flight pack, vs. 70 mph for just the suit).
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
far_trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash
The version from Star Mercs, while technically legal under GURPS Vehicles, is both (a) unrealistic (what would running at 70 mph do to a human hip joint, just trying to keep up?) and (b) canon-breaking. The version in GT: Ground Forces supercedes it.

This is an emotional subject, by the bye -- the commando battledress from Star Mercs is probably the single most reviled piece of equipment ever published for GT.
Well just to play devil's advocate here for those that want the uber BD and not having the actual material...

While the suit allows you to run at 70mph your soldier is not actually moving their legs that fast. The suit allows increasing stride and height so when running full tilt the soldier is running and the suit amplifies the motion so you lope along a little like a kangaroo, several metres long to each stride and probably clearing a couple metres at the height of each bounding stride.

Btw Kangaroo's can change direction almost on a dime when bounding along, very good agility, of course the BD doesn't have that big tail (and maybe it should) to balance and provide the counter weight for those shifts (at least I think that's how it's mangaged).

That'd be how I'd handle it IF it were to be used imtu.

Not meaning to start a flame war on the subject, seen similar eleswhere on the subject and really what's the point. It's a game, if the player's and ref want 70mph BD why spoil the fun, just come up with a way that makes it work.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author.
far_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:43 PM   #6
Mark Caliber

And here's my take on it.

The Ground Forces would be your basic Grunt issued Battle Dress while the Star Mercs is a special issue for the elite commandos in the Imperial Marines. And the 70 mph speed is the booster's flight speed. (Just read that section recently.)

You'll also note that the commando variant of the Battle Dress also has radical stealth to help the user remain undetected.

Realistically, you're not likely to ever see the Commando Battledress (no pun intended) as it's not going to be issued except for exceptional missions.
Mark Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
tsykoduk

GF has the 'commando' armor. I think that the major problem with the SM armor is (from memory) it has like 1200 dr. Way to much. the stuff in GF has 300 - 450.

I may be wrong, the do not allow me my books at work :(
tsykoduk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
traveller