Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #61
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - Posts other than GURPS (PotG)

I could be wrong about this one. But I have a slight feeling, playing with the ForgedAnvil character generator, that our old fight against the Sheriff of Tain should have gone a lot worse for us . . . and had things gone a slight bit differently, might have been a TPK.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:08 PM   #62
DouglasCole

Two more posts:

As I tinker with various character classes with the Forged Anvil generator, decided to go through from Barbarian to Wizard and see what I could make of each one. I will admit I was looking for damage output, which makes me terribly shallow, I know. Still, my conclusion is that this particular build is nastier for staying power than damage output.

On the flip side, he's got a LOT of staying power.

The bard. A jack of all trades and solid contributor to any venture, but with two notable strengths. This guy is a fantastic spy for games that feature social interaction, and a surprisingly subtle and powerful spellcaster.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #63
DouglasCole

Gaming Ballistic hit its 600th post. There's been a bunch of neat stuff here (says I as the author). A lot for GURPS. Some Pathfinder. Recently, quite a bit of OSR and even more D&D5.

Plus interviews, of course!

I decided to do a bit of a retrospective of my last couple of years, and highlighted some of my old posts. But please - dig around, and see what strikes you as interesting.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #64
DouglasCole

Continuing to play with 5th Edition builds in order, now we come to the Cleric. Naturally I made a combat cleric - basically a human version of Durkon Thundershield, because: Thor.

A very well-rounded and potent build!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #65
DouglasCole

I might be out of my element here, but I present two versions of a Druid. While I've gone the combative route, something tells me that this class would make a very good outrider, scout, or recon element, and could have the skills and spells to back it up.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #66
DouglasCole

I have a thought that needs playtesting on an ability to spend your own HP to increase damage on a foe, since HP at higher levels represent skill and effort as well as physical vitality. I bring it up periodically in posts, so I want to be able to link to it. It's centered around D&D5, but could easily be used in any OSR game as well. 
Old 08-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #67
DouglasCole

I continue my exploration of 6th level character builds in D&D5, this time hitting the 6th level Champion fighter. I'll do a separate build for each of Champion, Battle Master, and Eldritch Knight.

I already twigged to something I missed before, so this has been a good exercise for me.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #68
Kalzazz

I think I would be cool with the notion of HP based Extra Effort side by side with FP based Extra Effort . . . . you can spend HP for Magic as a FP proxy, why not for hitting harder etc?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #69
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I think I would be cool with the notion of HP based Extra Effort side by side with FP based Extra Effort . . . . you can spend HP for Magic as a FP proxy, why not for hitting harder etc?
Well, this particular concept is for D&D, rather than GURPS. spending HP to power stuff makes sense in spells, but less sense Extra Effort. That being said, trading 1 HP to avoid 1d6+4 probably is worthwhile.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #70
Kalzazz

True. I just can't meaningfully add any comments to DnD 5, and I like GURPS

My DnD experience starts at ADnD 2e and ends at 3.5 (and I like to pretend it ended at 3.0, 3.5 made me a very unhappy person and gave me the critical and suspicious lens I can't help but view new GURPS supplements through even though completely different companies etc) (though I have at least read the books and played a little of ADnD 1e and ODnD).

My experience playing 3.0 would make me . . . hesitant to consider such an idea a good one, I recall 3.0 being quite tilted toward 'quick and rapid annihilation', where the best defense was usually 'do unto others before they do unto you'. My staple guess of two rounds for 'how long will the combat last?' is DnD 3.0 based. An option to trade survivability for more damage? I would have used that many times as a DnD 3.0 player. After all, low ending healing wands and spells are often in decent abundance and cheap, and can easily top folks off in 'out of combat time', provided they kill the other guys to make it to out of combat time.

There was a 'Vicious' magic enchant that was not unpopular that used 'take damage to do more damage'

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Vicious

If discussing ADnD 2e, I think it would be a great idea. I think it would add some more tactical options to a game which often devolved into 'I take my favored weapon (aka one of the few I have Proficiency for) and go and swing with it. And ADnD 2e was not to my way of feeling quite so cataclysmic damage tilted as 3.0 . . . so it would be much less popular. The 'here be shopping lists for magic items' with prices and all, and less spell slots made healing harder to get and HP more shepherded.

Earthdawn (of which there are as many and as conflicting versions as DnD, just with much less caring of the world) has the 'burn your HP to do cool stuff' as one of its core mechanics, quite a lot of the powers and skills require it (in Earthdawn its called 'strain', so I envision it as 'you do cool things man is not meant to do, like someone loosing a 100mph fastball, it wears on you')

In GURPS . . . . I've allowed it as a perk and it seems fun and all, and I have no problem at all considering it an allowable fluff (push yourself so hard you damage yourself . . . . I can totally buy that as legit fluff). However, as HP is cheaper than FP, and can be made cheaper still by things like large size. And that HP has scaled healing so if you are a giant meatball you get healed more, which is an effective boost to HP in a sense . . . . and thats not counting things like Vampiric Strike. (The Vampire Template in MH interestingly has a power to burn their HP instead of FP for Extra Effort. The DF Mystic Knight has a perk to buy to use HP instead of FP to fuel imbuements. This very silly combination of these two powers makes the silly build I call the 'Blood Ramjet', where the Vampire spends blood (aka HP) to use Extra Effort and to fuel Imbues (including Vampiric Strike) to attack (with hopefully great effect since piling on Extra Effort and Imbues) then when their blows land, Vampiric Strike kicks in and heal up, and are ready to wash, rinse, repeat! Until you miss/get defended etc, and are left at critical HP levels for the enemies go and then you die horribly).

So for me its 'one of those things I allow as a perk, which sometimes get taken and used, so while it seems like it might be more awesome than it should be, people actually don't seem to flock to it, but I am not sure whether they would flock to it and use it overmuch if I made it a free game option'
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote