Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 09-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #1
mcv

Default Where in the Spinward Marches?

Where in the Spinward Marches is your favourite area, subsector or planet to base or start your campaign? And why?

I admit I don't have a very clear idea of what would be exciting about some corners of the Marches, but I personally like the spinward/rimward (call it south-west if you like) corner. You've got the Darrians, Sword Worlds, Republic of Garoo, various minor races, the developing District 268, and the surprisingly high population and presumably somewhat isolated Five Sisters subsector.
BTC doesn't say it's isolated, but there are a lot of high population worlds there, and the Imperial worlds along the rimward edge of the Sword Worlds sector are small or even empty, and District 268 is supposed to be a developing area (although it's been open for some time, and even before that, it must have been a major route to the Five Sisters).

I'd like to know how many Imperial worlds there are spinward of the Five Sisters, as Imperial worlds run right up to the spinward edge of the subsector. Most notable Emape, which sounds like an interesting planet for some adventure. So the edge of the map is bothering me a bit.

Anyway, please post more reasons why I'm right, or explain why other corners or specific subsectors are more interesting than this one. (I suppose the Federation of Arden would be a great place for intrigue, for example.)

mcv.
mcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Where in the Spinward Marches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcv
I'd like to know how many Imperial worlds there are spinward of the Five Sisters, as Imperial worlds run right up to the spinward edge of the subsector. Most notable Emape, which sounds like an interesting planet for some adventure. So the edge of the map is bothering me a bit.
http://zho.berka.com/data/foreven/

The Foreven Sector
More adventures Spinward of The Spinward Marches
Old 09-19-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
Paul Drye

The Sword Worlds are the best ever place in the Spinward Marches, by a wide margin. Everyone should buy the GURPS sourcebook about them.
Paul Drye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
daryen

It all depends on what you are looking for.

As you mention, the Federation of Arden will provide a wonderful place for political intrigue. A nasty juxtposition of Imperial and Zhodani concerns in a neutral location. Be sure to bring your psionic shield helmet.

If trading is more your game, the ultraclassic Regina and Aramis subsectors are perfect. With the continued conflict between the upstart Oberlindes and gigantic Tukera. Plus, lots of Vargr interaction attempts. It works well enough that you would think an entire campaign could be set there. (What? They did? Oh. Well, see?)

Despite his pimping, Mr. Drye is correct in that the Sword Worlds are a wonderful location for adventuring throughout its entire history. The other nice thing about the Sword Worlds is that you can make the Imperium, Zhodani, and Darrians more distant, and it still works great.

Opposite the Sword Worlds, are the aforementioned Darrians. Forget the Star Trigger. They have lots of TL13 (TTL16) relic technology laying around, which is sure to tempt unscrupulous PCs. Also, they seem to have some interesting secrets that are just waiting to be exposed. (Also, they have cool, concealable psionic shields, too. So stop here first on your way to Arden.)

And, in the Five Sisters, you didn't mention the big item there. Andor and Candory are Droyne worlds under Imperial jurisdiction. What can they possibly be doing that would cause the Imperium to declare them Red Zones and ring them with naval bases? Nothing has been definitively stated, but that doesn't mean an industrious ref can't make up something fun.

Finally, in Foreven (the sector spinward of the Marches), we know that there are no Imperial member worlds. There are several client state worlds, however. We also know that the Zhodani control about a third of the sector, and there are two minor powers: the Avalar Consulate and the Mnemosyne Principality. As far as I can tell, however, we don't really know anything about those two polities other than that they exist. (We also know the number of systems in them, but nothing about any of those systems. Well, except for Avalar itself; we do have its UWP.)

Berka's site is the best Foreven resource out there. It's system positions and interstellar borders match what we do know, and he preserved the data of the five systems that did have published UWPs (Zdovesil, Avalar, Hollis, Raschev, and Alenzar).
daryen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:37 PM   #5
Paul Drye

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryen
Despite his pimping, Mr. Drye is (snip)
Sticks and stones, thhhpppttt! :)
Old 09-20-2004, 06:15 AM   #6
mcv

Quote:
It all depends on what you are looking for.

As you mention, the Federation of Arden will provide a wonderful place for political intrigue. A nasty juxtposition of Imperial and Zhodani concerns in a neutral location. Be sure to bring your psionic shield helmet.
I like political intrigue, but I think I'm more looking for intrigue inside the Imperium, and want to keep the Zhodani out of it. Not sure how, though.

Quote:
If trading is more your game, the ultraclassic Regina and Aramis subsectors are perfect. With the continued conflict between the upstart Oberlindes and gigantic Tukera. Plus, lots of Vargr interaction attempts. It works well enough that you would think an entire campaign could be set there. (What? They did? Oh. Well, see?)
How is that trade war more fun than the one between Baraccai Technum and McClellan Factors or other trade wars? I can't find a lot of detail about the Oberlindes/Tukera.

And what is that campaign set in Regina and Aramis?

Quote:
Despite his pimping, Mr. Drye is correct in that the Sword Worlds are a wonderful location for adventuring throughout its entire history. The other nice thing about the Sword Worlds is that you can make the Imperium, Zhodani, and Darrians more distant, and it still works great.
I like the Sword Worlds, but I'm not sure what to do with them. There's probably a lot of plitical stuff within the Sword Worlds, a lot more between them and the Border Worlds and the Imperium, a lot of tension between them and the Darrians, and although I haven't read the entire book yet, I think I recall reading that armed traders were illegal in at least part of the Sword Worlds.

Quote:
Opposite the Sword Worlds, are the aforementioned Darrians. Forget the Star Trigger. They have lots of TL13 (TTL16) relic technology laying around, which is sure to tempt unscrupulous PCs. Also, they seem to have some interesting secrets that are just waiting to be exposed. (Also, they have cool, concealable psionic shields, too. So stop here first on your way to Arden.)
The Darians are also involved in the Question of Garoo (detailed in a JTAS article), which is a bit smaller and probably easier to get the players involved in than the Imperium/Zhodani or Sword Worlds/Darrian conflicts.

Quote:
And, in the Five Sisters, you didn't mention the big item there. Andor and Candory are Droyne worlds under Imperial jurisdiction. What can they possibly be doing that would cause the Imperium to declare them Red Zones and ring them with naval bases? Nothing has been definitively stated, but that doesn't mean an industrious ref can't make up something fun.
You're right, they're not a minor race. I know they're there, and I know they're special Droyne worlds, but I have absolutely no idea what to do with them.

Quote:
Finally, in Foreven (the sector spinward of the Marches), we know that there are no Imperial member worlds. There are several client state worlds, however. We also know that the Zhodani control about a third of the sector, and there are two minor powers: the Avalar Consulate and the Mnemosyne Principality. As far as I can tell, however, we don't really know anything about those two polities other than that they exist. (We also know the number of systems in them, but nothing about any of those systems. Well, except for Avalar itself; we do have its UWP.)

Berka's site is the best Foreven resource out there. It's system positions and interstellar borders match what we do know, and he preserved the data of the five systems that did have published UWPs (Zdovesil, Avalar, Hollis, Raschev, and Alenzar).
I'm currently looking at that website. If I decide to start from The Five Sisters, I'll definitely use some of Berka's stuff.

mcv.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:34 AM   #7
daryen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcv
I like political intrigue, but I think I'm more looking for intrigue inside the Imperium, and want to keep the Zhodani out of it. Not sure how, though.
Political intrigue inside the Imperium is easy. Pick two major worlds and assign them a couple of "relevant" nobles. (Counts and Marquis are good for this.) Make up some reason they are fighting against each other, and throw the players in the middle. They can be working for one side or the other, or they can be someone else's agent trying to navigate through the conflict. The Imperium is, basically, feudal, which gives you innumerable opportunities for conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcv
How is that trade war more fun than the one between Baraccai Technum and McClellan Factors or other trade wars? I can't find a lot of detail about the Oberlindes/Tukera.

And what is that campaign set in Regina and Aramis?
Well, with Oberlindes/Tukera, it is David v. Goliath instead of Goliath v. Goliath. (Though, quite frankly, Oberlindes, BT, and MF are all dinky little Davids compared to Tukera's Imperium spanning Goliath.) The other cool thing about Oberlindes and Tukera is that they are so frequently mentioned in the game. BT and MF are only mentioned in Adv 4 and a couple of other places.

The campaign I reference is the venerable The Traveller Adventure. Even with all of its ticks and flees, most (including me) remember it as the quintessential Traveller campaign. It is purely set within the Aramis sector. The Regina subsector is covered in The Traveller Book. (I do note both of these volumes are long out of print, but they are reasonably easy to find on eBay with prices usually below $20. Hopefully they will also be reprinted by FFE at some point in the future.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcv
The Darians are also involved in the Question of Garoo (detailed in a JTAS article), which is a bit smaller and probably easier to get the players involved in than the Imperium/Zhodani or Sword Worlds/Darrian conflicts.
I forgot to mention Garoo. They are in a very tenuous position, as they are such a small world (under a billion people) with a low TL (GTL 9) living in glass houses (a vacuum world). They have no naval base and cannot build starships (type IV starport), so whatever navy they have is either isolated to their system, or purchased. The Darrians could squish them whenever desired, so why do they allow the problem to persist? I don't know either, but it shouldn't be hard to come up with a plausible story.

The Sword Worlds/Darrian conflict is basically a cold war situation, since they are pretty much forced (by their much larger allies) to keep from shooting. So you can have some political intrigue here, too. Another thing to keep in mind with the Darrians and Sword Worlds, is that you can pretty much ignore the rest of the universe and focus on these two, if you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcv
You're right, they're not a minor race. I know they're there, and I know they're special Droyne worlds, but I have absolutely no idea what to do with them.
Well, remember that the Droyne are small, psionic, can turn "invisible" at will, and operate by their own worldview (or universeview, or whatever you call it). One of their members became the Ancients; there is no reason another like him can't appear. BtC even hints at such an opportunity with Moudray.

Just suppose the Droyne on Andor and Candory "closed down" for a couple of years, then started to openly operate at an interstellar level again. What are they doing? What do they want? Did they find relic technology? Did they find a faber that lets them *make* relic technology? Why isn't the Imperial navy doing anything to investigate? Or are they, and you just don't know yet?

Droyne are the ultimate wild card. They can be as innocuous or as malevant as you wish. If organized and motivated, Droyne stormtroopers can make Aslan shocktroops and Zhodani teleporting commandos look like amateurs. They are *all* psionic, and the leader, warrior, and sport castes are often trained. (And if organized and motiviated, those three castes will all be trained.) So they can be overt with these invisible, teleporting troops. Or they can operate covertly, using telepathy and suggestion to get others to do their bidding.
daryen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 07:38 AM   #8
Paul Drye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcv
I haven't read the entire book yet, I think I recall reading that armed traders were illegal in at least part of the Sword Worlds.
Yes, but the intent was that if characters wanted an armed ship, they'd just have to be sneaky about it -- both in acquiring the weapons, and in how they're mounted so that their ship will withstand an inspection without them being found. "This? It's an air conditioning conduit. The ship's so old the environmental systems for the front half of the ship are wonky. So we run this baby from back here near the fusion plant all the way forward." (Character puts a "Really!" look on his face)

There's even an adventure seed at the back called "In Search of Longer Arms" that covers how to get some guns if you want them.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 09-20-2004, 07:41 AM   #9
Paul Drye

Quote:
The other cool thing about Oberlindes and Tukera is that they are so frequently mentioned in the game. BT and MF are only mentioned in Adv 4 and a couple of other places.
The third cool thing is that Hans Rancke-Madsen has taken an interest in Oberlindes and has written a couple of articles fleshing them out further. They're in the on-line JTAS archives.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 09-20-2004, 08:40 AM   #10
mcv

Quote:
Political intrigue inside the Imperium is easy. Pick two major worlds and assign them a couple of "relevant" nobles. (Counts and Marquis are good for this.) Make up some reason they are fighting against each other, and throw the players in the middle. They can be working for one side or the other, or they can be someone else's agent trying to navigate through the conflict. The Imperium is, basically, feudal, which gives you innumerable opportunities for conflict.
I'll probably do something like that (and involve a rebellion or civil war somewhere too), but I'm still looking for ideas of where and how, and if it will somehow lead to even bigger conflicts on an Imperial scale (but that's probably easy to do once the conflict gets big enough to get dukes choosing sides).

Quote:
Well, with Oberlindes/Tukera, it is David v. Goliath instead of Goliath v. Goliath. (Though, quite frankly, Oberlindes, BT, and MF are all dinky little Davids compared to Tukera's Imperium spanning Goliath.) The other cool thing about Oberlindes and Tukera is that they are so frequently mentioned in the game. BT and MF are only mentioned in Adv 4 and a couple of other places.
I think they're also mentioned in Planetary Survey 4. Keep in mind that I have very little Classic Traveller material, and am mostly working with GT.

Quote:
The campaign I reference is the venerable The Traveller Adventure. Even with all of its ticks and flees, most (including me) remember it as the quintessential Traveller campaign. It is purely set within the Aramis sector. The Regina subsector is covered in The Traveller Book. (I do note both of these volumes are long out of print, but they are reasonably easy to find on eBay with prices usually below $20. Hopefully they will also be reprinted by FFE at some point in the future.)
There are a lot of other adventures on W23. I hope they add these soon.

Quote:
I forgot to mention Garoo. They are in a very tenuous position, as they are such a small world (under a billion people) with a low TL (GTL 9) living in glass houses (a vacuum world). They have no naval base and cannot build starships (type IV starport), so whatever navy they have is either isolated to their system, or purchased. The Darrians could squish them whenever desired, so why do they allow the problem to persist? I don't know either, but it shouldn't be hard to come up with a plausible story.
According to the JTAS article (which is not official), the Zhodani parked a ship in orbit of Garoo, which basically stops the Darrians from obliterating them. Ofcourse this puts Garoo in the Zhodani camp, and the Imperium probably won't want that. All in all, this could lead to lots of big international intrigue, and possible another Frontier War, I suppose.
I don't think I want that to be the main focus of the campaign, but it'd make a nice backdrop, and if the players do want to focus on that, I'll probably give them what they want. Less railroading is good.

Quote:
Well, remember that the Droyne are small, psionic, can turn "invisible" at will, and operate by their own worldview (or universeview, or whatever you call it). One of their members became the Ancients; there is no reason another like him can't appear. BtC even hints at such an opportunity with Moudray.
I'm seriously considering changing the whole story of the Ancients. One player read the secrets in the back of GURPS Traveller (he owned the book before I did), and to be honest, I don't like the pocket universe thing very much.
I have no idea what I'll change it into. There's a JTAS article with an interesting suggestion.

Quote:
Just suppose the Droyne on Andor and Candory "closed down" for a couple of years, then started to openly operate at an interstellar level again. What are they doing? What do they want? Did they find relic technology? Did they find a faber that lets them *make* relic technology? Why isn't the Imperial navy doing anything to investigate? Or are they, and you just don't know yet?
Certainly a nice source of mysteries, but I don't think I want my campaign to focus on Droyne or Ancients. And how should players go about investigating this kind of thing anyway? I'd have to make them all Scouts, I think.

mcv.

Tags
traveller