Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 09-30-2004, 04:05 AM   #1
toecutter169

Default What space combat system do you use

I've finally started looking through the Space 3e sourcebook and they mention these other space combat systems:

1. Abstract from Compendium II pp100-106 (are any conversions for GURPS 4e required for this one? I don't have the CII book in front of me)
2. Space Opera from Compendium II pp 106-111 (I will probably use this one mostly but again am wondering about conversions)
3. Complex from Vehicles 2e (staying far away from this one for my purposes)
4. Traveller system (may require conversions of weaponry or ships depending what you're converting from/to)

My group hasn't gotten to the point of space combat yet (still on the intro adventure) but when they do I want it to be along the lines of a more realistic Star Wars-type heroic combat (realistic in that ships won't make roaring sounds and combat may take place at long distances).

Just wondering what other G:T GMs use for their campaigns.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:25 AM   #2
tsykoduk

Default Re: What space combat system do you use

the G:T one with a few mods - I wrote a JTAS article on it back in 2000, if you are a member, check it out.
tsykoduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
stilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toecutter169
I've finally started looking through the Space 3e sourcebook and they mention these other space combat systems:

1. Abstract from Compendium II pp100-106 (are any conversions for GURPS 4e required for this one? I don't have the CII book in front of me)
I'm using a self-designed abstract system based on the tactical system in GURPS Traveller. Simpler than the one in GURPS: Space.
stilleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:13 PM   #4
stilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsykoduk
the G:T one with a few mods - I wrote a JTAS article on it back in 2000, if you are a member, check it out.
What is your article called?
stilleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #5
Mark Caliber

If the subject ever comes up, I'm going to end up using the GURPS Traveller version for space combat. It's basically a simplified version of the original GURPS Space combat rules, tailored for Traveller. Also for consideration is what are you going to use the Space Combat system for?

I mean literally speaking, I'll use the SFB space combat system next as that's the next space combat game that I'll play. We'll be using it to resolve a deep space conflict between masive fleets invading and defending a wide sector of space. But that's SFB.

In GURPS, I may have to extrapolate some values for a space combat encounter, in which case the GT rules will allow me to calculate what happens in combat and how it relates to the individual players.
Mark Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 09:35 AM   #6
tsykoduk

Enhanced Damage in Space Combat is the name of the article. It details a system to bring the G:T space combat system more in line with CT/MT.
tsykoduk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
traveller