Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #31
Refplace

Default Re: 'Godlike' using GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
4. One with minor Magneto-like abilities: a magnetic shield that stops bullets and frag (DR, with forcefield, front only, metal only) and the ability to throw small pieces of metal at enemies (a ranged innate attack modeled like a gun...but we haven't figured out pistol, rifle, or shotgun). He always carries a pocketful of screws.

Some of the samples in Godlike are simply bizarre. The sample TOG's lieutenant can 'inhale objects' for a limited time. Not sure how to model it, or what its use would be in game. :)
M
For the Magneto guy you could do Alternative Abilities for different kinds of attacks.
For the Inhaler that sounds like Payload with some limitations.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #32
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
4. One with minor Magneto-like abilities: a magnetic shield that stops bullets and frag (DR, with forcefield, front only, metal only) and the ability to throw small pieces of metal at enemies (a ranged innate attack modeled like a gun...but we haven't figured out pistol, rifle, or shotgun). He always carries a pocketful of screws.
Are you ignoring the issue of the amount of magnetic material in bullets? Many WWII bullets won't have any iron or steel content, although it was more common in German ammunition. Shell fragments will be steel.

If you have GURPS Psionic Powers, the TK Bullet ability in there is a fully-speced attack. There are a fair range of other powers in there that might be useful. File off the psi powers modifier and you're good to go.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #33
mearrin69

Didn't realize, actually. May still keep it because it's a cool power. Maybe it's something other than magnetism. Physics is often a bothersome addition to games and Godlike seems to essentially ignore it anyway.
M
mearrin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #34
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Didn't realize, actually. May still keep it because it's a cool power. Maybe it's something other than magnetism. Physics is often a bothersome addition to games and Godlike seems to essentially ignore it anyway.
M
Iron is very common, but most metals aren't ferromagnetic.

Though whether a 'magnetic' super is going to actually be limited to manipulating ferromagnetic metals...
Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #35
mearrin69

I was thinking it would be all metals. So, maybe it's not magnetism...just some sort of 'elemental' power over metals.

I don't remember Magneto ever being bothered by non-ferrous metals, but I'm not a comic book guy so I'm sure they've used that at least once when it was convenient. How 'ferromagnetic' are modern firearm slugs? I sorta thought they were lead. Magneto makes them dance in X-Men the movie. He also rips apart a subway car that I assume is mostly aluminum.
M
Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #36
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
How 'ferromagnetic' are modern firearm slugs? I sorta thought they were lead. Magneto makes them dance in X-Men the movie.
Variable. Some ball rounds are steel jacketed, some are jacketed with metals that wouldn't be ferromagnetic. AP rounds probably contain steel unless they've got something relatively exotic like tungsten or DU. Shot specifically made for hunting in compliance with the lead pollution rules in some areas are likely to be steel.
Quote:
He also rips apart a subway car that I assume is mostly aluminum.
M
Subway cars are mostly aluminum? I wouldn't have guessed that. I should try applying a magnet to some.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 03-21-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Word repeated by accident
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #37
mearrin69

Heh. Well, I did say "I assume". :) I actually had no idea. Apparently these subway cars are made of stainless steel which may or may not be affected by magnetism.

Yeah. So. Can of worms I don't want to open. I think I'd just allow an all metal power. Interestingly, the limitation specified in Powers is "-40% metal only". I wonder if they meant all metals or if -40% is too high (low) if you consider all metals?
M
Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #38
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Iron is very common, but most metals aren't ferromagnetic.

Though whether a 'magnetic' super is going to actually be limited to manipulating ferromagnetic metals...
Given the ability (hard science or or magical) to induce magnetic fields in conductive materials you don't need ferromagnetism.

For example, we've established over multiple discussions that "gauss gun" ammo only needs to be condictive and not ferromagnetic.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #39
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearrin69
I was thinking it would be all metals. So, maybe it's not magnetism...just some sort of 'elemental' power over metals.

I don't remember Magneto ever being bothered by non-ferrous metals, but I'm not a comic book guy so I'm sure they've used that at least once when it was convenient. How 'ferromagnetic' are modern firearm slugs? I sorta thought they were lead. Magneto makes them dance in X-Men the movie. He also rips apart a subway car that I assume is mostly aluminum.
M
As I recall, Magneto's main power was usually depicted as Telekinesis(Metal Only). That didn't keep his FF from protecting him from all sorts of attacks, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mearrin69
Yeah. So. Can of worms I don't want to open. I think I'd just allow an all metal power. Interestingly, the limitation specified in Powers is "-40% metal only". I wonder if they meant all metals or if -40% is too high (low) if you consider all metals?
I've had occasion to think that -40% was a bit much in comparison to Magnetic, but it's probably not worth quibbling over. The intent seems to be all metals.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #40
mearrin69

Thanks for all of the input. I actually prefer the TK(metals only) concept and will suggest it to the player when next we work on this.

In the meantime I'm creating 'NPC briefs' for all of the non-Talents that might appear for the first several sessions.

I'll be tackling my own German Talents shortly so will undoubtedly be back for advice on those. Some of the ones in the pre-printed Sicily invasion adventure are probably not doable within my 100 point limitation (or, possibly, even within the 125-150 points I was thinking about giving them because they're experienced/battle-hardened). One of the SS guys can turn into a super-stealthy/strong/fast panther with 'adamantine' claws!
M

Tags
godlike, wwii