Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
ULFGARD

Default Re: Housecat-sized octopus vs. SCUBA-equipped commoner

Thanks for helping my MH game! Poisonous intelligent houscat sized octopi attacking the SCUBA-clad infiltrators! Awesome!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Well, there's strangulation, which is serious business given the modifiers. Not IWinButton serious, but not something to be ignored.
Once again, if the octopus knows what a human is and how to kill it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Jovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
And this is the real reason people fear Cthulhu. He doesn't so much have eldritch powers from before time and inscrutable irrational aims as he's a malevolent SM + 3 intelligent octopus with Physiology (Human)/12 - 17
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
quarkstomper

Funny. Just the other day on another site I was for completely different reasons referencing a sequence from an old POGO comic strip in which Albert the Aligator somehow wound up with an octopus on his head. Dang thing wouldn't let go. People started mistaking Albert for a girl. And his friends couldn't decide whether the correct gammatical construction would be "An Octopots gots Albert" or "An Octopiggle done gots Albert." Or if it should be "A Rhinocklewurst done went and gots Albert". After a while they lost track of exactly what kind of creature it was.

Eventually Albert got used to having a Octoctopoodle attached to his headbone. At which point it let go on its own.

He missed it.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Well, it's probably IQ 5 or maybe 4 if you're pessimistic*. I suppose it should have at least basic understanding.

* == Smart enough to use tools and understand a limited set of symbols, smart enough to imitate other animals' mannerisms, and smart enough that TL10 surgery alone can bring them up to IQ6.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Well, it's probably IQ 5 or maybe 4 if you're pessimistic*. I suppose it should have at least basic understanding.

* == Smart enough to use tools and understand a limited set of symbols, smart enough to imitate other animals' mannerisms, and smart enough that TL10 surgery alone can bring them up to IQ6.
This isn't the THS forum. You made me look to make sure. Intelligence isn't one number or thing. So being almost human level at a small set of problems doesn't say much about any other set. Gurps has IQ 6 being everything that a young human child is mentally, which is profoundly different from any super intelligent cephalopod.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
This isn't the THS forum. You made me look to make sure. Intelligence isn't one number or thing. So being almost human level at a small set of problems doesn't say much about any other set. Gurps has IQ 6 being everything that a young human child is mentally, which is profoundly different from any super intelligent cephalopod.
Used the numbers from Bio-Tech (4e), not Under Pressure, whose Octosap is modified only in having its IQ boosted (to IQ6). But I've heard of octopodes deliberately plugging their opponents' breathing orifices when fighting, so I don't think strangling an opponent is that out of whack.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Used the numbers from Bio-Tech (4e), not Under Pressure, whose Octosap is modified only in having its IQ boosted (to IQ6). But I've heard of octopodes deliberately plugging their opponents' breathing orifices when fighting, so I don't think strangling an opponent is that out of whack.
Not impossible for an unusually smart octopus, I agree. I just don't like how it's in vogue now to grossly overestimate their "human-ness" the way they used to for elephants.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Not impossible for an unusually smart octopus, I agree. I just don't like how it's in vogue now to grossly overestimate their "human-ness" the way they used to for elephants.
Human-ness? Seriously? They're probably the prime candidate for the description of a very inhuman intelligence.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Human-ness? Seriously? They're probably the prime candidate for the description of a very inhuman intelligence.
Human level and type of sapience I mean. Too often inhuman is just code for irrational monster.

Tags
combat, commoner, grappling, housecat, octopodes, octopus