Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #291
Koshka

Default Re: Memorable Quotes.

SF game, Hero System.

A little background -- one of the players has a bad habit of announcing his character has a skill that isn't actually on his character sheet. A couple sessions ago, half the party was planetside and the other half was in orbit. The on-planet half needed to get back to the ship without anyone knowing, and since this wasn't a Star Trek game that meant the shuttle needed to be sent down.

Mr Bigmouth announced that he could pilot the shuttle, so he was given that assignment. This was going to call for some tricky flying, the "away team" was in what amounted to a redwood forest with very small clearings. We all discovered on the first piloting check that he didn't have Combat Piloting, only Transport Familiarity (which gives an 8- roll for anything difficult). He failed the first three piloting checks spectacularly, not quite managing to put a full grown redwood through one engine pod. He finally made the last roll, which meant the shuttle landed without further damage and was still mostly flyable.

One of the other characters, who is a pilot, pulled the shuttle door open and glared at Mr Bigmouth. "Get. Out. Of. My. {Bleep}. Chair!"
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #292
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka
SF game, Hero System.

A little background -- one of the players has a bad habit of announcing his character has a skill that isn't actually on his character sheet.
LOL. Must remember that as a disadvantage for an NPC.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #293
KFire

"You crit-missed him?!"

My first D&D game I ran, I was taking the group through a forest.
Me: "As you come into the clearing, you hear a growl."
Dan (elf rogue): I scout ahead in the far end of the clearing.
Me: You take a few steps and then see a large tiger step out of the shadows.
Dan: (ooc) I'm gonna shank it! (rolls)
Me: Okay, you run up and attempt to stab it in the leg.
Group: What? In the leg??
Dan: Steph.... how big IS the tiger?
Me: Oh hey... it says 'Dire' next to it... does that mean anything?

I still haven't lived it down. Even now, when we're facing an enemy, it's always "How big IS the (insert creature here)?"
KFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #294
Warlockco

That reminds me...

DM: You open the door to reveal a large room full of Duergar.
Me: I throw a Fireball in there.
Party: How big is Large?
DM <smiles>: Everyone make Saving Throws, if you fail, roll for your items too.
Me: Opps.

In the avoid a module a large room was a 10' by 10' room. Several party members failed their saves, and one of them ended up being gutted of all their items.
I took no damage all from the encounter, other than various party members trying to kill me from that point on.
Its amazing the loot you acquire from Self-Defense...
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #295
quarkstomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFire
I still haven't lived it down. Even now, when we're facing an enemy, it's always "How big IS the (insert creature here)?"
The first time my friends and I played D&D (the beloved "Keep on the Borderlands" module) our group encountered some Giant Ants. I asked Frodo, our DM how big they were, because you know, for an ant, "giant" could mean six inches long, or six feet long or big enough to cause small children to scream "THEM!!!"

Frodo refused to say how big the Giant Ants were. This is because, I later found out, that the module didn't say.

We were only First Level Characters. We decided to err on the side of caution. We hid and let the Giant Ants pass, hoping that they were really as big as we thought they were.

To this day, I have no idea how big a Giant Ant is supposed to be.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #296
RevBob

According to the online SRD - a couple of versions later than the Keep, but still useful for this sort of thing - a soldier Giant Ant could reach 6 feet long, and a queen can hit 9 feet. That's what I'd call "THEM!" territory....

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #297
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob
According to the online SRD - a couple of versions later than the Keep, but still useful for this sort of thing - a soldier Giant Ant could reach 6 feet long, and a queen can hit 9 feet. That's what I'd call "THEM!" territory....
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm458398720/tt0047573

6 foot mandibles is THEM! (and It Came from the Desert) territory.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:40 AM   #298
Anders

THEM! was, for some inexplicable reason, billed as "Attack of the Giant Spiders" in Sweden. Just a curious fact.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #299
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
THEM! was, for some inexplicable reason, billed as "Attack of the Giant Spiders" in Sweden. Just a curious fact.
I'll bet there's an interesting story behind that.

Lost in translation? :)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:15 AM   #300
Jasonft

"Bring me... Legos!"

Spoken in that overdone dialect only Mad Emperors and Criminal Masterminds sitting on their respective thrones can manage.

An out of game discussion about DC Heroes about fifteen years back centered around how ludicrous high levels of Charisma could get. The consensus was that a hypothetical abuser of this Uber-Power could order their minions to bring them Lego toys and they would do so ceaselessly until they literally fell over out cold or even dead. For months on end if they survived.

A few months later a GM from that group was running a Supers game where the ultimate villain was a small but very spoiled child running much of the Mid East by the time the players figured it all out...

By tracing a worldwide shortage of... Legos back to it's source.

"You Missed."

A *really* overpowered Monty-Haul player wanted to bring his character into a friend's AD&D game. The Friend looked over the situation, judged the likely competence of the player (not the character) and challenged him to face his own former character in a duel. This character had gone from 1st level to 20 the hard way and knew the system like the back of her hand.

One month to prepare. Meet in that clearing over there at midnight. If the Monty wins they get to be in the campaign. Ten followers, one henchman, two monsters each and the entire thing is run by three neutral GMs who are enforcing *every* rule in the book.

Midnight arrived and Monty (and crew) 'ports in to find the opposing Wizard apparently alone (her crew was hiding in the bushes and Monty never checked) in the clearing doing her nails with an emery board. There is some initial banter and she graciously gives the first attack to Monty. Monty and his entire crew start casting Meteor Swarm in unison and turn that entire side of the clearing into near-molten rock.

Except for a circle five feet wide around her feet that was inside the Wall of Force surrounding her. She looks up from doing her nails and says "You Missed."...

It got worse from there. Much, much worse. It might be the only time in my gaming life I felt sorry for a Monty-Haul PC. *shudders*
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
actual play, funny