Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #51
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?
Default Re: Rifle Butt and Pistol Whipping attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The battles were fought in the 1700's, so we have what claim to be good sources on the casualty numbers. Go to the great northern war on Wikipedia and click on the list of battles, and they'll start showing numbers. I don't know if the numbers are biased, but the Swedish victories tend to have utterly lopsided casualty numbers, while the losses tend to look like bloodbaths on both sides, though that's just me looking at a handful of numbers.
One of the strange things about battles is that if you win, you tend to win big. The majority of casualties appear to be inflicted in the rout, rather than in actual combat. In cases where neither side routs, casualties tend to be high on both sides. The presence of cavalry at the end also tends to increase those lopsided wins.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:42 PM   #52
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
One of the strange things about battles is that if you win, you tend to win big. The majority of casualties appear to be inflicted in the rout, rather than in actual combat. In cases where neither side routs, casualties tend to be high on both sides. The presence of cavalry at the end also tends to increase those lopsided wins.
Yep, most casualties are suffered in the route.

I brought up those numbers in response to the thought that the sweedish troops were winning battles through superior ability to trade musket fire without breaking.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #53
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yep, most casualties are suffered in the route.

I brought up those numbers in response to the thought that the sweedish troops were winning battles through superior ability to trade musket fire without breaking.
odd'eh? One of the greatest military minds in history, and people think he one by cramming men into a meat grinder. I mean, we've got efficient and effective combined arms, cavalry emphasizing shock, an emphasis on artillery and infantry fire, as well as increased manuever, and then, the high level of elan maintained by the army as reasons why swedish war was decisive in that time period.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #54
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
odd'eh? One of the greatest military minds in history, and people think he one by cramming men into a meat grinder. I mean, we've got efficient and effective combined arms, cavalry emphasizing shock, an emphasis on artillery and infantry fire, as well as increased manuever, and then, the high level of elan maintained by the army as reasons why swedish war was decisive in that time period.
Finding a sharp point is not the business of dunces. It is true any duffus can order people to attack all along the line but that is not what coordinating a successful melee based attack is about.

Tags
on target, pistol whip, pyramid, rifle butt