Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2017, 06:15 AM   #41
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Pyramid #3/103: Setbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Couple of UK players have got the downloads but not been charged for the them . Yet . Is this a bug ?
They're not registered on the Forum & didn't want to be penalized if they download future issues .
Might just be a UK specific problem - I'll post again if there's any change .
Were they part of the kickstarter? Don't answer that. This needs whole line of discussion needs to be directed to info@warehouse23.com
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:01 AM   #42
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
It creates a permanent and constant damaging field/aura around the character. So anything that comes within 16 yards of it, takes damage (each turn, I guess). It's covered in the FAQ that it's the way you make this kind of ability.

You can't build it without the Melee Attack limitation, because it's required with the Aura enhancement. I guess it's just another way of making Aura +50% and saying "it includes Melee Attack, so don't take it again".
Right you are; I can see that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
"Aura" makes the ability attack on its own, without you taking any special actions - ie as free actions. It makes an attack every time an enemy comes in contact with you (or enters/stays in the area of effect if you enhance it with Area of Effect) - this means its attacking on the enemy's turn(s).

Aura requires Melee Attack, rather than just making it cheaper, because this way every trait (advantage, enhancement, whatevs) that can't be taken with Melee Attack is still incompatible with Aura without having to use extra wording each and every time.
And now we have a reason for the "You must take Aura in conjunction with Melee Attack" (B102) requirement.

Personally, I would have just made Aura cost +50% instead of 80% and included the parts of the Melee Attack limitation that it requires (it doesn't require all of them) in the Aura description.

To get back on topic, I think the Sanity Points mechanics could have been far less complicated. I bring this up because part of Christopher's impetus for his article was an option to GURPS Horrors's Stress and Derangemen mechanics, which he considered "difficult" and "complicated". I don't find Christopher's Sanity Point mechanics to be an improvement in that area. They do give a GM options though, and I'd rather be in a position of simplifying something too detailed than the other way around.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:32 PM   #43
Captain Joy

The Silk Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro-Langs, p. 33
Punch (15): 1d crushing + follow-up death touch (see
Notes). Range C, 1.
The "Range C, 1" is confusing me. Is it supposed to be "Reach C"; or is a Reach C assumed for the punch, but reach C, 1 weapons are also possible and would include a follow-up death-touch?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #44
Rindis

It means he can punch you if you're in close combat (C) or in an adjacent hex (1).
Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #45
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindis View Post
It means he can punch you if you're in close combat (C) or in an adjacent hex (1).
Nothing in the text/color description indicates that should be the case. Also, that fact that they use the terminology "Range C, 1", instead of "Reach C, 1" makes me think this is a cut-and-paste error.

I formally submit this as an erratum. EDIT: Submitted via email as well, per sir_pudding's recommendation.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 08-03-2017 at 10:58 PM. Reason: add italics for clarity
Old 08-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #46
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I formally submit this as an erratum.
I don't think that it works this way. You should probably email it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #47
PK

Thank you for emailing it. We do not check the forums when compiling errata, only emails sent to errata@sjgames.com.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid, pyramid 3/103