Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #21
Bruno

Default Re: Pyramid #3/26: Underwater Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The skill penalty though is the same, yes?
Drag seems like it would be more about damage, so I'm comfortable with this.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #22
RobKamm

The rules for diving look pretty good to me and I'll be incorporating them in my modern day game. But I was wondering about vision penalties for darkness. It may be that there too many variables involved, but even something saying that "under ideal circumstances full darkness (-10) is at X' depth, with (-5) at (1/2, 2/3, or wherever) that" would have been a helpful addition. An extra column in the Nitrogen Narcosis Table might also have done the trick.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #23
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKamm View Post
The rules for diving look pretty good to me and I'll be incorporating them in my modern day game. But I was wondering about vision penalties for darkness. It may be that there too many variables involved, but even something saying that "under ideal circumstances full darkness (-10) is at X' depth, with (-5) at (1/2, 2/3, or wherever) that" would have been a helpful addition. An extra column in the Nitrogen Narcosis Table might also have done the trick.
It will mostly depend on how much muck is in the water. I've been in what felt like near-daylight at 70' down (though shining a light on things still revealed more detail), and... well, there is one incident known as the "taramasalata dive" to everyone who was on it. So here's a quick hack: take the turbidity penalty you're already assessing to vision (-2 to -10). Subtract it from -12 (giving a value of -10 to -2). Read that as a range on the Size and Speed/Range Table, which is the depth at which you'll get total darkness. Prorate for shallower depths. (So a basic -2 turbidity gives you total darkness 100 yards down, -5 darkness penalty 50 yards down, etc.)

I haven't tested this against real-world figures but it seems reasonably consistent with my own memory. If you wanted to get really sophisticated you might put in a term to compensate for colour discrimination - it's easier to spot a fluorescent blue thing than a fluorescent red thing at 60' down...
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #24
Bruno

at 70' down, you only felt it was near-daylight because your eyes had adjusted on the way down - when a hand flashlight lights things up, you KNOW it's not that bright out. Definitely darker than a room lit with one or two 100 lightbulbs, which is substantially dimmer than full sunlight ;)
Old 12-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Drag seems like it would be more about damage, so I'm comfortable with this.
It seems awfully penalizing for spears, doesn't it? Spear-fishing can't be that difficult, people actually do it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #26
Anders

They do All-Out Attacks?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #27
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
They do All-Out Attacks?
All out, telegraphic attacks, with surprise, often from above. At least, most people I see do it like that. Same with herons, actually.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #28
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
All out, telegraphic attacks, with surprise, often from above. At least, most people I see do it like that. Same with herons, actually.
Another factor is that they're striking from above the water, so you don't have drag acting on the entire length of the spear, just on the tip. In this situation I'd only penalize damage at -1 per yard of depth, rather than on the weapon's Reach. The -2 to-hit still seems reasonable, though caused by surface refraction rather than drag.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #29
Stripe

I just now got around to reading the first chapter of the issue, Fathom Five. I love it! It's extremely crunchy. It was more like I was reading an actual official GURPS book than a complementary magazine article.

Thanks!
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #30
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I just now got around to reading the first chapter of the issue, Fathom Five. I love it! It's extremely crunchy. It was more like I was reading an actual official GURPS book than a complementary magazine article.

Thanks!
Sounds good. I will have to add it to the list to pick up... unfortuantely it will have to wait until after LT and a few other books.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid 3/26, pyramid issues, underwater, underwater combat rules