Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
SilverFox
MIB

Default [Low-Tech] Edition confusion

I have GURPS Low-Tech for Fourth Edition. (Stock # SJG 01-0108). According to the Worldbook Index, it should be called "Second Edition". The back of my book says "First Edition". Is this a misprint, or do I need to be getting the latest version?

Typically, second editions change the cover art, but mine is the same as the information page for this book, and the Errata list doesn't have first and second edition files. (I know, that isn't conclusive, as there may not have been errors in one or the other editions....)
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Edition confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
I have GURPS Low-Tech for Fourth Edition. (Stock # SJG 01-0108). According to the Worldbook Index, it should be called "Second Edition". The back of my book says "First Edition". Is this a misprint, or do I need to be getting the latest version?
The boilerplate on the back appears to be incorrect. The 4e book is the 2nd edition (and if you don't believe me see page 4). You could probably submit this to errata@sjgames.com. EDIT: Actually, I just did it myself.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 03-01-2012 at 12:23 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
Gurps books have always been odd like this compared to other systems. Edition of of any given book has only matched the edition of the game system by chance.

The naming of support books written for the 4th Edition of the game (the latest) has tended to downplay the particular edition of that book. "Normal" usuage today is to diescribe a given book as "for 4e" such as "Bio-tech for 4e" even though that book could be described as "Bio-tech 2e" (Bio-tech 1e was for Gurps 3e). Things could be a lot more confusing than that if you include books that have "Revised" editions.

Specificially I can assure you that you have the latest edition of Low Tech. There was one soft-cover for Gurps 3e with a brownish cover and one hardcover for Gurps 4e with the standard glossy black cover.

No book written for 4e has undergone enough of a major update to justify being called a new edition. Some books have had softcover second _printings_ after they debuted in hardcover.

It is probably the "First Edition" on the back of your glossy black book that counts as a mistake.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
SilverFox
MIB

Thanks, guys. Those were my assumptions, too. Missed pg. 4. :S

Good to know that I don't have to order another book to be up to date! ;)
I've already got a long list of stuff I need to get!

Tags
edition, low-tech