Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
Boge

Default Multiple attacks / multiple targets on the same turn? Any penalties?

1. To attack two separate targets, you need an attack for each hex, including one inbetween the targets if they're not adjacent. MA127 If a target is in your Front Left hex and one in your Right Side hex? Do you do three attacks including the one from the hex you are in, going through you, or do you have to go around you "attacking" Front Left, Front Center, Front Right, and then Side Right (Wild Swing) in order to attack those two targets?

2. In the same scenario, what would be the penalty (if any) to attack the Front Left target first, then take my step backward or change facing with your STEP and attack the Right Side target, who would now be in a Front hex? Can you do that with a Rapid Strike, or would it need to be an All Out Multiple attack or Extra Attack?
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
Boge

Default Re: Multiple attacks / multiple targets on the same turn? Any penalties?

Bump for replies
Old 06-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
Plane

Default Re: Multiple attacks / multiple targets on the same turn? Any penalties?

I think MA127 basically limited Rapid Strike where you had to target either 2 guys in the same hex, or two guys in hexes sharing an edge.

The only way around it (other than All-Out or Extra Attack) that I can think of is maybe using "Combinations" which works like a 3-hit Rapid Strike, so you could dedicate one of them to skipping 1 hex.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Boge

I understand that, but since the two enemies in this scenario would technically be just one hex apart (the hex I'm standing in), would I only need to waste one attack to hit both?

If so, I also understand the other target is on my side meaning it would be a wild swing. But if I took my step backward, would that correct the wild swing, or would that penalty still stand?
Old 06-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
I understand that, but since the two enemies in this scenario would technically be just one hex apart (the hex I'm standing in), would I only need to waste one attack to hit both?
I think so, since MA127 only bases it on the distance between opponents and not how much you would need to pivot your weapon to hit them.

It's weird that it's just as easy to do a 180 degree turn to hit a pair of opponents with a reach 1 weapon as it is to do a 60-degree turn with a reach 2 weapon, which's why a basic +1 attack per 60 degrees your weapon has to arc to get to next guy would work better.

Even weirder: it's even easier to do a 240 degree turn than it is an 180 degree one (like say, if you couldn't rotate to a final position using a 60 degree turn because the hex was occupied so your weapon couldn't pass through it without rolling to evade) since the final position of the target is closer to your initial one than a 180 degree turn would be.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Feel free to visualize it as the reverse stab behind the back maneuver, rather than whipping around and around in a whirlwind.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #7
Plane

*feigns stabbing foes behind without turning or reversing grip*
I think there ought to be a -1 to reach if attacking in the opposite direction of the hand you're wielding the weapon in, (ie attacking enemy in left hex using a right-handed weapon, attacking enemy in right hex using left-handed weapon) because your hand is at best at your shoulder level, you're basically using up the wielding arm's reach to get your hand to your opposite shoulder.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #8
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
*feigns stabbing foes behind without turning or reversing grip*
I think there ought to be a -1 to reach if attacking in the opposite direction of the hand you're wielding the weapon in, (ie attacking enemy in left hex using a right-handed weapon, attacking enemy in right hex using left-handed weapon) because your hand is at best at your shoulder level, you're basically using up the wielding arm's reach to get your hand to your opposite shoulder.
Note that the three hexes to your Front are ALL Front Hexes. The three hexes behind you are your Left, Right, and Back hexes. Normally, you cannot attack to your side hexes without making a Wild Swing(-5 to hit, Skill capped at 9), though Peripheral Vision allows you to make one-handed attacks to the respective side of the weapon you are using, or both sides if you have a two-handed weapon. To avoid the wild swing penalty if you don't have Peripheral Vision, you would need to use a step or movement to change your facing or position.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
Boge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
To avoid the wild swing penalty if you don't have Peripheral Vision, you would need to use a step or movement to change your facing or position.
Is that written in the book somewhere, and can I do that after I attacked a target already?
Old 06-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #10
Anaraxes

See B368, which (among other things) says you can step either before or after the action that's part of your Maneuver. B363 ("Movement and Maneuvers") says the same thing, explicitly using "step and attack, or attack and step" as an example.

B388 defines a Wild Swing as attacking a foe to your side or rear, or that you can't see. If you arrange for them not to be in your side or rear (that is, your front), then it wouldn't be a Wild Swing. B74 covers Peripheral Vision and the benefits it gives for making attacks to the side(s) not a Wild Swing.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote