Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #281
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Hey, how would you stat a spell that transforms a small amount (a unnoticeable part of a greater whole) of a food or drink into a deadly poison (say, Prussic Acid, I think..?) in order to kill someone?

Greater or Lesser Transform Matter? What modifiers?
if its unnoticeable, lesser, though if you do enough damage it will become greater. Total up the damage effects over the time and use that as the base damage. I would call this external damage.

I'm not sure if I would require duration or not. If you don't use duration the cause of death will certainly be apparent. you don't get a discount for doing the damage over time, because it makes the attack so much more subtle.

wow, thats actually kind of a cheap attack.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #282
Kalzazz

MIRVelous Arrow
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Matter + Lesser Control Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows A Bonus, ROF Arrow + Bestows A Bonus, Crafting Arrow + Subject Weight + Duration.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

MIRVelous Arrow is cast as a Conditional on an Arrow with condition 'when I am fired'. It creates 5 more additional arrows (with a successful IQ check or Armoury +5) which go along for the ride with the first arrow, adding +5 to its ROF!
Due to their racial magery and love of bows this spell is sometimes referred to as MIRVElvish Arrow

This Casting: Lesser Create Matter (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Bestows A Bonus, +5 to ROF Arrow (16) + Bestows A Bonus, +5 to Crafting Arrow (16) + Subject Weight, 10 lbs. (0) + Duration, Momentary (0). 43 energy (43×1).
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #283
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
MIRVelous Arrow
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Matter + Lesser Control Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows A Bonus, ROF Arrow + Bestows A Bonus, Crafting Arrow + Subject Weight + Duration.

MIRVelous Arrow is cast as a Conditional on an Arrow with condition 'when I am fired'. It creates 5 more additional arrows (with a successful IQ check or Armoury +5) which go along for the ride with the first arrow, adding +5 to its ROF!
Due to their racial magery and love of bows this spell is sometimes referred to as MIRVElvish Arrow

This Casting: Lesser Create Matter (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Bestows A Bonus, +5 to ROF Arrow (16) + Bestows A Bonus, +5 to Crafting Arrow (16) + Subject Weight, 10 lbs. (0) + Duration, Momentary (0). 43 energy (43×1).
I don't know that I'd add increased RoF that way. That's just too damn cheap.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #284
Kalzazz

Well, same energy as this 'buff an arrow for more wallop spell'

This Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Explosive Crushing 3d+2 (3). 42 energy (14×3).

Lets assume our generic archer has oh, 2d+6 impaling as his generic damage (Assume he has ST 19 due to ST 17 and Strongbow, wields a reflex bow, and has Weapon Master Bow, adjust to taste)

Thats what, 40 point innate attack, add Rapid Fire to get that to ROF 6 and thats +70% or 28pts

So, Lesser Create Matter 6, Lesser Control Magic 5, Altered Trait (Add Rapid Fire 6 to a Bow) 28, is 39
Old 01-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #285
Kalzazz

How would you add it by the way?

I actually was surprised the spell came out that expensive I admit, I thought would be a really cheap and easy spell lots of elves would want to use

Though it would be a cheaper and easier spell if elves actually had Armoury Missile Weapons and didn't need quite as big a bonus to actually craft arrows
Old 01-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #286
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Well, same energy as this 'buff an arrow for more wallop spell'

This Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Explosive Crushing 3d+2 (3). 42 energy (14×3).

Lets assume our generic archer has oh, 2d+6 impaling as his generic damage (Assume he has ST 19 due to ST 17 and Strongbow, wields a reflex bow, and has Weapon Master Bow, adjust to taste)

Thats what, 40 point innate attack, add Rapid Fire to get that to ROF 6 and thats +70% or 28pts

So, Lesser Create Matter 6, Lesser Control Magic 5, Altered Trait (Add Rapid Fire 6 to a Bow) 28, is 39
I think that adding a enhancement to a specific attack (in this case the bow) might be the way to go. Simply charge +0 energy for the damage (you already got that via the bow!) and add +1 energy per +5% enhancement you add to the damage. So RoF 5 would be +70% or +14 energy. That works a bit better and allows you to add higher levels of traits than what Bestows a Bonus would otherwise allow.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #287
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I don't know that I'd add increased RoF that way. That's just too damn cheap.
I thought it was expressly forbidden too. Enhancements p17
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #288
Kalzazz

Power Ups 4 Enhancements pg 17? I don't see anything offhand that refers to rapid fire, can you clarify?

I certainly think that however the spell ends up being statted it should be possible. Storm Shuriken do the 'split into multiples' trick, and Multi Shot imbuement is handy for split into multiples

Here is my new rewrite of the spell

MIRVelous Arrow
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Magic + Lesser Create Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Internal Crushing (ROF), (Damage is 0, ignore that part, Arrow handles it) Rapid Fire 7 (+70%) + Subject Weight.

MIRVelous Arrow is cast as a Conditional on an Arrow with condition 'when I am fired'. It creates 6 more additional arrows which go along for the ride with the first arrow, increasing ROF to 7 for that specific attack.

This Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Create Matter (6) + Damage, Internal Crushing 1d (ROF, +70%) (14) + Subject Weight, 10 lbs. (0). 25 energy (25×1).
Old 01-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #289
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I thought it was expressly forbidden too. Enhancements p17
Yes, for spells that cause damage. This spell is affecting a weapon (which already does damage).

Quote:
Power Ups 4 Enhancements pg 17? I don't see anything offhand that refers to rapid fire, can you clarify?

I certainly think that however the spell ends up being statted it should be possible. Storm Shuriken do the 'split into multiples' trick, and Multi Shot imbuement is handy for split into multiples

Here is my new rewrite of the spell

MIRVelous Arrow
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Magic + Lesser Create Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Internal Crushing (ROF), (Damage is 0, ignore that part, Arrow handles it) Rapid Fire 7 (+70%) + Subject Weight.

MIRVelous Arrow is cast as a Conditional on an Arrow with condition 'when I am fired'. It creates 6 more additional arrows which go along for the ride with the first arrow, increasing ROF to 7 for that specific attack.

This Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Create Matter (6) + Damage, Internal Crushing 1d (ROF, +70%) (14) + Subject Weight, 10 lbs. (0). 25 energy (25×1).
That's a little cheaper (because you're not creating arrows) - but I think it sets a better precedent.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #290
Kalzazz

Heres another (hopefully less controversial) arrow spell

Lesser Death Arrow
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Magic + Lesser Destroy Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Toxic + Subject Weight.

Lesser Death Arrow - Cast as a Charm usually, this arrow takes along with it a wallop of magic that strikes the body by increasing the shock of the impacting arrow on the system. Popular with elves and suspected of being why foes of elves are often found dead with arrow wounds that themselves did not look excessively fatal.
The damage is actually only 4d as that is the cap for lesser.

This Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Damage, External Toxic 4d+2 (2) + Subject Weight, 3,000 lbs. (5). 17 energy (17×1).

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology