Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #211
Kalzazz

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Safe Blast Arrow
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Magic + Greater Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Explosive Crushing.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

Safe Blast Arrow - Usually cast as a Charm on an Arrow or Bullet. This explodes in a blast of kinetic force a moment after it connects (ideally when buried nicely inside target). Unless it connects with the caster (the lesser control magic handles 'do not explode when I hit caster') making it less likely for users to atomize themselves during an unfortunate run in with Reverse Missiles. Due to the Safe effect, this spell packs less of a wallop than the traditional blast arrow spell. A popular spell with mystic archers, and often found in Collections alongside the traditional blast arrow spell.

This Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Explosive Crushing 5d+2 (7). 69 energy (23×3).

Does this spell do what I think would be good for it to do?

And no, someones mystic archer did not explode herself to the tune of 22xHP last game, of course not, that would be silly
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #212
the_matrix_walker

Momo came up with this for me in a MH game that never happened. I'm building a character for another MH game and was hoping to make use of it, or something similar. Once I've got the ritual, I still need to find someone to cast it for me, but one hurdle at a time!

The goal is to be able to have any of his pile of weapons instantly readied from a pocket dimension, so he can walk around seemingly unarmed and unencumbered until the action starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Ghostdancer signed off on using the effect to consider the skill defaultable and then Bestows to raise it, so:

Greater Create +6 Crossroads for a (literal) Pocket Dimension.
Altered Traits (Payload 5 (Extra Dimensional +50%, Only for grouped items present at time of casting -10%)[7], Lifting ST 11 {Payload only -80%}[7]) +14
Lesser Control +5 Crossroads to limit it to Subject's use only and make Fast-Draw defaultable.
Bestows a Bonus (+0 to Fast-Draw; this Payload only) +0
Duration 1 month +11

6+14+5+11 = 36 x 3 (Greater Effect) = 108

This would let you default Fast-Draw at DX-4
I wanted to run it by here and and see if it looked right, and check if the lesser effect was really needed, or if there were a more efficient way to get this particular job done. I've yet to have a character with RPM, so I haven't really absorbed the rules yet.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #213
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Safe Blast Arrow
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Magic + Greater Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Explosive Crushing.

Safe Blast Arrow - Usually cast as a Charm on an Arrow or Bullet. This explodes in a blast of kinetic force a moment after it connects (ideally when buried nicely inside target). Unless it connects with the caster (the lesser control magic handles 'do not explode when I hit caster') making it less likely for users to atomize themselves during an unfortunate run in with Reverse Missiles. Due to the Safe effect, this spell packs less of a wallop than the traditional blast arrow spell. A popular spell with mystic archers, and often found in Collections alongside the traditional blast arrow spell.

This Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Explosive Crushing 5d+2 (7). 69 energy (23×3).

Does this spell do what I think would be good for it to do?

And no, someones mystic archer did not explode herself to the tune of 22xHP last game, of course not, that would be silly
Looks OK to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Momo came up with this for me in a MH game that never happened. I'm building a character for another MH game and was hoping to make use of it, or something similar. Once I've got the ritual, I still need to find someone to cast it for me, but one hurdle at a time!

The goal is to be able to have any of his pile of weapons instantly readied from a pocket dimension, so he can walk around seemingly unarmed and unencumbered until the action starts.

I wanted to run it by here and and see if it looked right, and check if the lesser effect was really needed, or if there were a more efficient way to get this particular job done. I've yet to have a character with RPM, so I haven't really absorbed the rules yet.
I don't see a issue right off. As a GM I'd rule this a lesser effect because it's affecting only inanimate non-living things - but that's me. Also, this is a perfect time to use the Golden Rule and base the Payload's ST off of the caster's Path skill. Use Bestows a Bonus to increase.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #214
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I don't see a issue right off. As a GM I'd rule this a lesser effect because it's affecting only inanimate non-living things - but that's me. Also, this is a perfect time to use the Golden Rule and base the Payload's ST off of the caster's Path skill. Use Bestows a Bonus to increase.
I think Bestows a bonus would rapidly dwarf the cost of the added trait... the 7 points for 11 added Payload only Lifting ST is allot more manageable than +512 Energy for a +11 bonus! Is that an oversight or what you recommend for balance? It would be allot less energy to just increase the Payload level... Or should I leave it as is to present to my GM and just drop the Greater Effect?
Old 01-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #215
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I think Bestows a bonus would rapidly dwarf the cost of the added trait... the 7 points for 11 added Payload only Lifting ST is allot more manageable than +512 Energy for a +11 bonus! Is that an oversight or what you recommend for balance? It would be allot less energy to just increase the Payload level... Or should I leave it as is to present to my GM and just drop the Greater Effect?
Right, but if you get Ritual Mastery, a Place of Power, or a Grimoire you can easily boost your skill 10 levels or more. As for the bonus, I forgot to mention that this might be something you'd use (it totally slipped my mind, my bad):

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
BTW, it's worth mentioning that several people here have argued that Bestows a Bonus/Penalty should "flatten out" rather than continue to double, and while I don't plan on retroactively changing the existing mechanic, I do support this as an optional rule -- one that I'm planning to work into a future supplement (as an official optional rule). Basically, at +/-3 or higher, use a flat 4*(D-2) for Narrow, 8*(D-2) for Moderate, and 20*(D-2) for Broad, where "D" is the degree of bonus or penalty.
So yeah, getting a Payload based on your effective Path of Crossroads skill might be the way you want to go. I've always disliked the whole "Lifting ST" modified for Payload only route that you're kind of forced to go. That's why I usually borrow the Enhanced Lifting Capacity from Warp in GURPS Supers and call it a day.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #216
the_matrix_walker

Okay, taking your advice, would this version get your coveted Seal of Approval?

Hidden Arsenal

This spell (Assuming a Path of Crossroads 16) would grant a 100lb. (102.4 lb.) Payload, that could hold the subjects weapons and personal gear (that are present at the time of the casting), any of which can be instantly ready to hand on a DX-1 roll (Or DX with Combat Reflexes), On a failed roll, the item must be readied normally. While stored, the items impose no encumbrance, and cannot be detected without Crossroads magic.

Lesser Create +6 Crossroads for a (literal) Pocket Dimension.
Altered Traits (Payload 16 (BL Based on Path of Crossroads; Cosmic, Extra Dimensional +50%, Reliable Holster, +10%; Only for Signature Gear, -80%)[13]), +13
Lesser Control +5 Crossroads to limit it to Subject's use only and make Fast-Draw default-able.
Bestows a Bonus (+2 to Lift ST; this Payload only) +2
Bestows a Bonus (+3 to Fast-Draw; this Payload only) +4
Duration 1 month +11

6+13+5+2+4+11 = 41

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-04-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #217
Kalzazz

Is there a way to do some version of this spell as a non conditional durational active spell, or as a conditional non charm hung spell?

The goal of the spell is

Dal or Fei 'I'm going to go Scout ahead! Well away from you Elli, for you know not the meaning of stealth'
Elli 'Okay! Let me cast a spell so you can open a portal back to me if need be'

It would be even more awesome if spell could, depending on how the Scout did the needed activation, show up in different colors or such, so if people saw a Green Portal it means 'Come on through and join me', and Red means 'Stay there, I am coming to see you guys'

Scout's Portal
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads + Lesser Control Magic×2.
Inherent Modifiers: Duration, How long portal stays open + Range + Speed.

Scout's Portal
This spell is cast upon the Scout as a conditional spell, when the Scout does whatever the agreed upon trigger is, the portal opens from next to the Scout connecting next to the Scout to Next to the Caster. This allows the scout to either run through the portal to rejoin the party, or the party to go join the scout.

This Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Range, 2,000 yds (18) + Speed, 2,000 yds/second (18). 159 energy (53×3).
Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #218
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Okay, taking your advice, would this version get your coveted Seal of Approval?

Hidden Arsenal

This spell (Assuming a Path of Crossroads 16) would grant a 100lb. (102.4 lb.) Payload, that could hold the subjects weapons and personal gear (that are present at the time of the casting), any of which can be instantly ready to hand on a DX-1 roll (Or DX with Combat Reflexes), On a failed roll, the item must be readied normally. While stored, the items impose no encumbrance, and cannot be detected without Crossroads magic.

Lesser Create +6 Crossroads for a (literal) Pocket Dimension.
Altered Traits (Payload 16 (BL Based on Path of Crossroads; Cosmic, Extra Dimensional +50%, Only for grouped items present at time of casting -10%)[23]), +23
Lesser Control +5 Crossroads to limit it to Subject's use only and make Fast-Draw default-able.
Bestows a Bonus (+2 to Lift ST; this Payload only) +2
Bestows a Bonus (+3 to Fast-Draw; this Payload only) +3
Duration 1 month +11

6+23+5+2+3+11 = 50
Pshaw. Not coveted. That looks good, but you'd need a perk for "Can Fast-Draw objects from payload" which would cost 1 energy - that's not a freebie. It would count as a spell on (of course), but yeah, that's a workable build. Again, your GM may decide this is a Greater effect for his game (creating a pocket dimension), but for my games (and I stress the MY part) I rule that as long as its non-living and nonanimate than a Lesser effect is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Is there a way to do some version of this spell as a non conditional durational active spell, or as a conditional non charm hung spell?

The goal of the spell is

Dal or Fei 'I'm going to go Scout ahead! Well away from you Elli, for you know not the meaning of stealth'
Elli 'Okay! Let me cast a spell so you can open a portal back to me if need be'

It would be even more awesome if spell could, depending on how the Scout did the needed activation, show up in different colors or such, so if people saw a Green Portal it means 'Come on through and join me', and Red means 'Stay there, I am coming to see you guys'

Scout's Portal
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads + Lesser Control Magic×2.
Inherent Modifiers: Duration, How long portal stays open + Range + Speed.

Scout's Portal
This spell is cast upon the Scout as a conditional spell, when the Scout does whatever the agreed upon trigger is, the portal opens from next to the Scout connecting next to the Scout to Next to the Caster. This allows the scout to either run through the portal to rejoin the party, or the party to go join the scout.

This Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Range, 2,000 yds (18) + Speed, 2,000 yds/second (18). 159 energy (53×3).
So basically, this is a gate that a particular person can open to their location? and lasts for 10 minutes once invoked? To add "warning lights" to the spell add a Lesser Sense Magic effect for "people attacking me" or something similiar. For really abstract stuff, "if a orc comes near me with the brand of the Dark Eye" that'd be a Greater Sense Magic effect as you're creating a "magical A.I." built into the spell.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #219
Kalzazz

Heres how the spell I want to happen works

Dal the Scout is going to go Scout ahead
Elli the Caster is going to cast the spell and wait back at the starting point

Elli wants a spell that will allow Dal to open a portal to her location. If Dal says say 'DST Portallus Openus' it will open a portal from his location to Elli's location

Ideally, he can instead of saying 'DST Portallus Openus' he can say 'DST Portallus Openus Reddus' or 'DST Portallus Openus Greenus' and not only will the portal open, it will be Red or Green in color

Does that make sense?

Elli doesn't want to be forced to do it as a Charm either, since they don't want to spend a couple hours unpacking charm lab, casting spell as charm, packing Charm lab back up when Dal is like 'those bushes over there look suspicious, let me go check it out'
Old 01-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #220
Kalzazz

I've used the notion you can Fast Draw from Payload from this ruling of PKs

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...91&postcount=4

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology